what should I say: Niece going into rehab 3rd time

by WhereWasI 37 Replies latest social family

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I meant that there seems to be not much societal support for drug rehab services in the United States. Rehab totally enmeshes you in a closed system, then when the insurance runs out, out on the street where you are ready or not. If AA did not exist, it would need to be invented. Dr. Drew says it takes the brain about ten years to recover from addiction. AA is ubiquitous to fill the need. Society says you are a cheat, a dope fiend but all they offer is a few months at rehab.

I was told to attend open AA meetings when my facial pain was so bad all I could think about is an impulse to kill myself. Atho I had no addiction, the doctor said being around other people barely hanging on,too, would be good for me. AA reminds me of the Witnesses, down to the grey metal folding chairs. I sat in each meeting repeating "These are not the Witnesses." I don't agree with some of the concepts. There is a place to go, though, and get support. I wish AA would have a competitor. AA can be a cult. Probably anything can be a cult.

Alcoholics were morally reprehensible to me. I came to know some of the members. They were normal people with a brain disorder. Most people are addicted many years before treatment and we expect tor reverse perhaps 20 years of biology and culture in a few months. No wonder there are relapses. I thought from TV and mags, that AA had a cure rate of 98% if you did the program. The actual rate is about 15%. Addiction is so multilayered and complex that it is a miracle that anyone is sober. Maybe it is an indwelling God. or whatever the precise formula.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL BOTR. My brother got sober using AA, but then he started to hate it. He's an atheist, and the even though they CLAIM they aren't religious, my brother was under constant pressure to be spiritual. He dealt with snide comments, anger, and insults because he had no god. Finally he walked away and bought a book that actually called AA a cult. Anyway he said everyone predicted his fall----but seven years after walking away from AA he's still sober.

I've also heard that AA is much less effective for women. First there is still a double standard. When the guys get up to give their leads, and talk about their misbehaving, eveyone laughs. But when a woman gets up and talks about her mistakes----whore. Women also have a difficult time with the admitting they are powerless aspect. Some things I've read say that women generally feel more powerless than men. For men to admit they are powerless over alcohol is an admission of humility and a needed reality check. For women, admitting powerlessness is just more of the same and possibly what led them to drink in the first place. So for women, it is more effective to EMPOWER them and not make them powerless victims.

We really do need an alternative to AA. I believe women have started their own programs, but none have reached the scope and prestige of AA. It's been a while since I looked into it, but it may have changed. And one other problem for women is that apparently their bodies become more strongly addicted.

AA is important. But the fact is, the two most successful people I know, a man and a woman, were not helped much by AA. They had to find other solutions. The problem is when you say that to someone in AA, they just can't believe there is another way. They actually don't fully believe in the non-AA person's sobriety---it's some kind of aberration, or worse, the person is lying.

AA is still a good starting point though. Sometimes it's the only option. Just always be prepared for a relapse.

NC

• designs
    designs

NC- I see a lot of the local Churches setting up their own 12 step type programs, something their members can relate to more. AA doesn't help everyone, addictions are different for everyone, but I liked AA for awhile and now do other things to fill my life, my daughter likes the AA and NA program and helps a lot of young girls get through their first year.

irondork

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Designs--that's something that used to really irritate me. I had to be around when someone went into rehab and I had to speak to the workers at the place. The thing that really aggravated me about the whole mess is that they treated everyone exactly the same. THE ADDICT as though no one's experience was unique. And they were quite haughty about it, and any suggestion I made about individualism branded me as an enabler. WHAT? I'm wasn't trying to somehow make it easier for them to use drugs, I was just asking questions about specifics. I found the whole mess to be quite judgemental and fond of labels. And all I could think was that was certainly a lot of pride for a program that failed a great deal more than it succeeded. Yet they knew everything.

Very frustrating. But it doesn't mean there isn't value there. I just say temper your expectations with a good dose of reality.

NC

• designs
    designs

NC- I found that the groups varied greatly, some allowed 'cross talking' others didn't, some were robotic and others very friendly. Coming out of Rehab the group type of thing works well for the first few months or even a year. My BIL goes to AA meetings at his Catholic Church and he's made a lot of good new friends which he needed, they do weekend trips and other outings.

NA meetings are wild, I'll tell the story of the Biker Meth King 'Bear' sometime

• undercover
    undercover

I would like to know is what should my departing words of wisdom be for this niece.

Not to be harsh... but it doesn't really matter. They're not listening. Only after they come out will they hopefully be receptive to words of hope, help and wisdom. My prespective comes from personal experience...of which coincidentally had some developments over the xmas weekend as well.

I found out over the weekend that a family member that has gone through rehab a couple of times is back on that path of self-destruction. They're in denial of course. In fact, most of the family is in denial. I see it because I'm emotionally detached from this person. I gave up on them last time around and will never trust them again. (long story that involved theft and personal trust broken that can never be repaired). I got to the point where I could no longer allow their lifestyle and refusal to change to poison me. I had the chance to confront and challenge but I chose not to. First off, I would come off as the bad guy to the rest of the family for even daring to accuse this person. But personally, I can't live their life. I can only live mine. They chose their life course. They'll have to deal with the consequences. I've moved on.

• WhereWasI
    WhereWasI

Thank you very much, I really appreciate so much input. I tend to think AA can be a cult and that there are other ways to maintain sobriety. True though, it's premise is good and still can be a good start. I like the advice that not much of what I say will be heard anyway and that it all really falls back to her as to what course she will take. I feel so bad for my sister, and also my nieces daughter. They are both living with my sister now.

Thanks again.

WWI

• WhereWasI
    WhereWasI

Wha - Just wondering what is a "chip night"?

I'm taking notes from everything you all said and I know what I'm going to say. Thanks again everyone.

I'm going to say something like: Sweetie I'm glad you are still willing to try because that means there is hope. I understand the complexities of addiction. I know this is going to be hard for you but I'm looking forward to having a relationship with the real you, the authentic person you are inside. Relapse is part of recovery. This is another chance for you. We all will be waiting.

I don't know if I will get a chance to say it quite like that but as was said it doesn't really matter what I say.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

NC,

Your input on AA is so honest. Judgmental is a word. Group think. You must feel really bad about yourself when you enter rehab. It is not a marriage, birth, or degree. The staff have bad attitudes. Dr. Drew's rehab seems so friendly. Maybe it is the editing.

The AA meetings I attended saved my life. AA has this awesome reputation. It was similar to the Witnesses. My gut told me to take what you like and run from the rest. I kept wondering if I were diseased or resistant b/c I saw flaws. Members can be Nazis. Also, it is similar to this forum. Everyone believes they are the only ones who have program purity.

• designs
    designs

WWI- Chip Night is people hitting certain milestones in their recovery such as 1 month, 6 months, 1 year etc., they get a Chip in recognition and people brings deserts to the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit