End of School for Now ( I should be excited.........but)

by out4good3 4 Replies latest social family

• out4good3
    out4good3

It's been a hard fought couple of years, but, finally, with great trepidation, I find myself graduating next weekend with the college degree I should've graduated with 25 years ago. Oh, I've got both two year college degrees under my belt, but this time it is the big kahuna, a bachelors degree. Summa Cum Laude with a near perfect GPA to boot.

I think back on the time when I first proposed going back to school with my wife......how she and the elders who visited me poo-pooed education and exclaimed that it would be a big waste of time. How they proclaimed that I should be going to meetings more or looking for ways to be more active in the congregation and pioneer. If I had taken that advice, in this current financial market, we'd both still be sitting in a one bedroom apartment trying to figure out how to make next months rent.

Every aspect of our lives have improved I think in part of my educational endeavors and my refusal to follow their ill conceived advice, rules and paint myself into the WT well designed corner. We've went from living in a one bedroom apartment with nothing but a full size boxspring and mattress on the floor and a black and white 13" TV to living a pretty standard middle class lifestyle. I've went from a typical burger flipping job at the local greasy spoon to a pretty stable job in technology that pays well. It has been 15 years since she has worked secularly. Our only kid is well adjusted, out on his own and self supporting. In all respects, I should be feeling like Job well done.....Right?

My wife was getting ready for meeting today and she came into the room with a sad look on her face wringing her hands. I asked her what was the problem....she just looked down at her feet and refused to answer. I asked her to come and sit next to me which she did. I calmly asked her what was the problem and if there was anything she needed or anything I can do. She said nothing, so, I pulled her next to me and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Thereafter, she continued finishing getting dressed and went to meeting.

But, I knew what was on her mind. I'd seen that look before. I'm not going to meetings anymore. I'm not a believer anymore. And that makes her sad. Yes she's happy that I'm graduating, talks me up to her friends all the time, is just as much interested in my final grades as I am, and have actually encouraged me to seek a masters, but in all, its really just formally dressing up a pig in the eyes of her faith.

But I am trudging on....... I make her life as easy as I can and in all other aspects she respects and appreciates it. And I am finding satisfaction and contentment in our lives where I can.

Kinda feel like I'm babbbling. But here goes......

Had a talk with the boss the other day. Big change of plans for me coming up that will only enhance my professional growth and employable desirability. For the next few weeks I am going to have to find some activity to fill in the time I usually spent studying, reading or writing reports. But, near the end of next month, it begins again. The pursuit of a masters. On to bigger and better.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Congratulations on finishing your bachelor's degree. You're a good man trying to go easy on her. I feel so sad for people in situations like that. It shouldn't be that way. I don't know why people continue to believe destructive religious ideas that, as you said, view you as nothing more than "dressing up a pig." I've read even worse things JW's have said from the platform about a non-JW mate, and they are just cruel. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hey, that's great news. She should be happy for you, but at least you can be happy for yourself and for making your life better.

--sd-7

• noni1974
    noni1974

Congrats!! I have just begun my educational trail last fall. I'm one year in and I know that my life and my own sense of self has changed beyond any expectation. My last semester which ends this coming Friday has been my hardest so far. I've had a change of major to deal with and classes that I do not need anymore to finish that I refused to quit. I never that or anything else get in my way. My worst subject is math and so far it has been easy for me to get a B in. This semester I have not had such an easy time and I'm pleanty disapointed in myself. I know that if I just apply myslef it will work out, this time it hasn't been that easy. Math has gotten the best of me this semester.

My main learning point is that I must apply myself more and not let anything get in my way.

In the last year I went from being a high school drop out to a Phi Theta Kappa scholar with 2 stops on the Dean's List. I need to learn that any adversity or road block I come across are not made to stop me but to teach me to be a better student. Maybe my 3.6 GPA is not my best?? Maybe if I applied myself to my studies more I could get a 4.0. However this semester has been my hardest so far and I am pretty sure that I will not get my 3.5+ GPA that I'm used to. This time I'm going to get less. I will use this as amunition to do better next time. I am determined that I will have my first graduation and I am determined that I will have Honors at my graduation. PTK and Honors classes combined. I just need to let go of my self dislike for not preforming up to the level I set for myself. I need to learn that it's ok to fail. I never let myself learn that before.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Awesome! I finally got my Bachelors a few years ago in my early 30's. Like you, I wished I had started a lot sooner. Graduated Magna Cum Laude and won Outstanding Graduate Award from Engineering and Design. If this economy ever turns around, I'm going for my Masters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit