Lawyers: Can a Jehovah's Witness sue the Watchtower Society for Civil Rights violations?

by Balaamsass 46 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

? I have been on boards and run businesses, and been reminded by more than one CPA and Attorney to cross Ts and Dot I s regarding Corporate requirements or we would become liable to lawsuits.

THEREFORE, my questions to any Attorneys and CPAs, and the keen minds on this board, are the following;

I have been reading old threads on this site about Watchtower Society irregularities regarding tax filings with State and Federal agencies. Evidently, a number of filings for different years were identical (unlikely if not impossible) or missing.

1. IF these agencies were to conclude tax fraud, or non reporting during an audit, would that hurt non-profit status and open WTBS to effective lawsuits? (Perhaps after a whistleblower suit?).

2 . Would a case like the Menlo Park Ca. Congregation “take-over” show Direct Governing body CONTROL therefore help pierce the corporate veil?

3 . If the veil has been pierced by bogus/non existent non-profit status filings, Could Civil Rights Cases against WTBS on behalf of Child Abuse Victims (Sexual, physical emotional and blood) prevail with a larger financial return? Adult members victimized by shunning, families who loose members by suicide after shunning? Ex and unbelieving parents without custody whose minor children die from lack of Blood? Have these had their constitional rights trampled? (Civil rights lawsuits against the Klu Klux Clan pierced the veil and hit them hard.)

4. With the corporate veil pierced, could a small businessperson who lost a large J.W. clientele, by QUESTIONING ever changing Watchtower theology (not moral turpitude), and was disfellowshipped sue Watchtower directly for Slander, Tortuous interference, and Civil rights violations?

5. What is the Federal Statute of limitations on Civil Rights violations?

This article came up while I was googling the subject today at lunch.

Wisconsin LawyerVol. 79, No. 2, February 2006

Piercing the Corporate Veil

The armor of personal immunity generally shields people doing business as a "corporation" from corporate obligations. But the protection may be pierced, and personal liability imposed, when a controlling shareholder operates the corporation as an "alter ego" for wrongful purposes, or under other certain circumstances.

by Mark R. Hinkston

Corporate shareholders and officers are generally insulated from personal liability for the corporation's debts. This limited liability is metaphorically known as the "corporate veil." But the veil is not an absolute shield. Under certain circumstances, a court may pierce it to hold a shareholder or officer personally liable. Piercing is most commonly done when a corporation is the shareholder's "alter ego" and is a sham or façade used to evade creditors or commit fraud

Powers & Quinn S.C., Racine.

The Prima Facie Elements. The concepts of "veil piercing" and "alter ego" are perhaps clear in theory but sometimes nebulous in application, leading Justice Benjamin Cardozo to comment that the veil piercing doctrine is "enveloped in the mists of metaphor." 16 For almost 60 years after the Wisconsin Supreme Court's pronouncement of the "alter ego" doctrine in Milwaukee Toy , Wisconsin courts continued to apply its somewhat amorphous litmus test but there were no uniformly applied factors to judge whether piercing was warranted in a given case.

In 1988, in Consumer's Co-op of Walworth County v. Olsen , 17 the Wisconsin Supreme Court attempted to clarify the situation by formulating a three-part test. It held that to prevail on a piercing claim premised on the "alter ego" doctrine, a plaintiff must prove: 1) that the defendant shareholder completely dominates the business practice with respect to a subject transaction to the extent that the corporation has "no separate mind, will or existence of its own"; 2) that the defendant shareholder used the control to commit fraud or wrong, to violate a statutory or other legal duty, or to act dishonestly or unjustly; and 3) that there was a causal connection between the first two elements and the harm to the plaintiff. 18

The first prong's focus is on control, not ownership. Thus, the mere fact that one person owns all shares in a corporation will not suffice. 19 In ascertaining whether there has been "complete domination" or control, a court assesses the extent to which an entity follows corporate formalities. 20 For example, has the corporation conducted meetings, maintained corporate records, and filed annual reports with the state? Other factors that a court considers are: nonpayment of dividends, siphoning of corporate funds by the dominant shareholder, commingling of personal and corporate funds, and nonfunctioning of other officers or directors. 21

As for the second prong, one must prove that the control emanating from the corporate informality caused an injustice. Whether a corporation was adequately capitalized when it was formed is a relevant determination with respect to this factor, 22 the idea being that insufficient capital infusion is a red flag that a corporation was started as a sham. There is no specific formula to ascertain whether a company is adequately capitalized. Adequate capitalization is "measured by the nature and magnitude of the corporate undertaking" at the time of the company's formation.

Soooooo what do the keen minds here think? Do these victims have a shot at MEANINGFUL compensation? ?????

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The answer to your question would involve countless hours of research and would depend on the specific facts so no one knows.

The biggest hurdle when dealing with the Society is that the First Amendment is very generous towards religion. Europe has a very different culture. I do not believe America is derived from God. We basically have English rights. B/c of the European religious wars that our first colonists fled here to find a haven, America believes in the Free Exercise and separation of church and state to a higher degree than any other country of which I am aware.

This topic is very popular among law review writers and academics. One could spend one's entire life reading only a small portion of the commentary. B/c the First Amendment is so valued, other areas of law aren't as important generally as the religious freedoms. The French have a concept, laisete (I forget the actual spelling and accent mark) that acknowledges that religion can impair an individual's rights. I don't see it in American law.

From what I've read, the intersection of religion and government is quite complex. I thought easy answers prevailed but the Court has changed the law a lot recently.

I believe strongly that only a lawyer who has interviewed and established lawyer/client relationship should give legal advice. The ACLU is very active. Citizens United and Freedom from Foundation are active. Their websites will have tons of info. I suppose the National Constitution Center will have info online. Cornell Law has great online resources. To be balanced, too, the Federalist Society, a conservative group, and the Thomas More Center will have info with a different take. Also, the Christian Legal Society.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Thanks Band,

Is the Corporate veil about the same in Europe? If it is peirced in the US regarding a corporation, can that case be introduced as evidence in another country? IE Can sworn Testimony in AUS and Calif., regarding a Multinational corporation be introduced into evidence in another State or Country?

• Violia
    Violia

I was told by civil authorities that one does not give up their civil rights just b/c they walk into a KH.( they would like you to think that , however)

• wobble
    wobble

In the U.K we have a Human Rights Act which is similar to the European Act, I believe that in many respects the WT/JW Org goes against the principles enshrined in this Act, but it would need careful presentation of a case to prove a breach of the Law.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

BOTR is of course absolutely correct in her assessment that here in the US, "the First Amendment is very generous towards religion".

However, it's hard to understand how a religion, any religion, can engage in fraudulent and deceptive activity and it not be criminal!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Without the benefit of having seen further updates on the Steven Unthank case, he as a one-man-band and carpenter, certainly seems to have crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's in a typical David & Goliath battle against the naked emperor that is the Watchtower hegemony.

Almost 500 years ago it took only one man - Luther - who partly understood Romans 3 versus Matthew 23 to challenge the most fear inspiring Church-State hegemony of the day and deal it a decisive death blow from which it only temporarily and partially healed.

The Watchtower is corrupt, dysfunctional and unsustainable. It will come to its end as will "all religion" which rogue Judge JF Rutherford correctly pointed out "is a snare and a racket".

The self-centred, self-serving and self-preserving GB knows, and deeply fears this day when they will be exposed as having had their pants down in endless graven acts of spiritual prostitution (aka apostasy or heresy) with demons and the god of religion. The WBT$ along with all religion/ists has never KNOWN the God of Abraham, or his promise to Abraham (namely the unabridged "good news").

Seven million "publishers of the good news" and not one can explain the "good news" according to Paul, from the heart, and often not even by rote! More than half the Bible's references to the "good news" are by Paul! What about the "good news" according to Moses, Isaiah, the Psalms and others (2 Cor 4:4)?

Naked and slimy serpents from their father the devil.

How these religionists dread the day when every ordinary man will be able to tell the baby (the "good news") from the bathwater (religion) and toss the latter.

Oh how they hate anyone such as Ray Franz who due to piercing eyes of faith can see through them and articulate their deviance, in the mean time!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that religions must obey neutral laws of general applicability. One of the recent cases that upset me a bit had to do with Native Americans using peyote for countless generations as a religious practice. Peyote was added to the U.S. list of most dangerous drugs. There was no exemption for religious use. The Native Americans lost.

Piercing the corporate veil gets very complicated, too. It also might depend upon whom brings the suits. Not just anyone can sue. We aren't SHs of the main WT corporation.

I think the making the public aware of the high mind control and questionable doctrine helps the most. They must have a host of lawyers focusing only on piercing the corporate veil law.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

IF these agencies were to conclude tax fraud, or non reporting during an audit, would that hurt non-profit status and open WTBS to effective lawsuits? (Perhaps after a whistleblower suit?).

The WTBTS isn't a non-profit organization. It is a religious organization and is free to make as much money as it wants.

'Piercing the corporate veil' relates to when public corporations violate their duties to their shareholders (owners of stock in the company who can be harmed by mismanagement).

Your mixing laws (non-profit duties v. corporate duties), and neither corpus of law applies to the WTBTS.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I am confused Justitia,

When I have served on Non-profit boards It was stressed to us how important to maintain all the tax filings so the "Veil" would not be pierced and we became personally liable for Non-profit bills or other liability issues. Same with the business.

The WTBTS has gone to a LOT of EFFORT to form new multiple coorporations. Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit