So Why Exactly Did Joe Paterno Get Fired?

by Philadelphia Ponos 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

Someone reported to Joe that they witnessed one of his coaches molesting a young boy. Joe reports it to his bosses and his bosses reports it to the DA. Betweeb Joe, his bosses, and the DA someone questions the coach about the alleged molestation and he denies it. They have no actual evidence of a molestation so they do nothing. According to reports, the other alleged molestations where never reported to Joe but to indiviuals higher up in the university. My question is this, if the one time the incident of molestation was reported to Joe yeild no evidence of a molestation after being reviewed by the DA and other university officals, why is Joe be punished? How was he to know an actual molestation took place against the lack of evidence? I believe he did the right thing by not going to police right away, he didn't witness any molestation and didn't have any proof of a molestation so he reported to his boss so the matter could be further investigated.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Can it be that the University didn't want to pay poor Joe a pension?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PP: Do you work for the Watchtower Writing Department?

• N.drew
    N.drew

I don't. Haha

• flipper
    flipper

Are you partial to Joe because you are from Philadelphia ? Or were you next in line to coach the Penn State football team ? Or have you just got back from a looooong vacation ? This is a game of 20 questions, come on- let's play. ( Just teasing ) Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

good old boys

• JeffT
    JeffT

Technically he followed policy by reporting it up the chain of command. If I had been in his position I would have dogged that chain of command until the issue was resolved. Specifically I would have been asking when the police were going to interview me. If nothing happened I'd call the cops myself and ask them what was going on.

If I'd been the guy that saw it I would have called 911 on the spot and told them if an officer wasn't there in about three minutes they could send a hearse because I would take care of it myself.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    If I had been in his position I would have dogged that chain of command until the issue was resolved.

Exactly. And I'm sorry, but I feel it was because rather than his first thought being for the child, it was for the organization. Sound familiar?

• Lore
    Lore

I'm not from Philadelpha, and I geniunely don't give a crap about Joe Paterno or whatever sport it was he was coaching.

But if I understand correctly here's what happened.

Joe is a coach. This puts him in a position of authority over his team. Not over the whole school and only so far as the law allows, he doesn't have the ability to throw people in jail.

Sandy was a coach-in-training or something and was somehow under Joe's authority maybe? Not sure on that one.

An assistant coach (unnamed, would this be a child or a school employee?) told Joe that he SAW Sandy molesting a 10 year old boy.

Joe, not an eyewitness and going soley on this assistants word, told the higher-ups what he knew.

The higher-ups 'investigated' and decided there was no evidence to prosecute.

If I were in Joe's shoes I'd assume that this was all I was required to do. I could go to the police, but I have NO evidence, I didn't see it, and the guys who should know about these things have already decided there was not enough evidence to do anything.

Knowing that, I'd STILL tell the cops and say: "Hey, I have no evidence whatsoever, but someone told me that Sandy was molesting a 10 year old. . . that's all I know, kthxbai"

But seriously I might not even do that depending on how reliable the assistant coach was and how much I trusted the judgement of my superiors.

Who the heck is this assistant coach, and if he actually SAW this take place, why isn't he the one in trouble? Why did he tell Joe instead of the police. . . what the heck did he expect Joe to do about it?

The people Joe reported this too, they are under the EXACT same obligations Joe was under.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Why don't you try reading the Grand Jury's Findings of Fact?

You will not be confused afterwards. ; )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit