JWs Depression and Suicide

by 00DAD 44 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 00DAD
    00DAD

3rdgen: You're welcome, but really the thanks goes to all of you that have shared your personal experiences and feelings in response to my OP. Your accounts are both riveting reading and heart-breaking, especially because it is all so unnecessary.

What a shame. The organization that so many of us believed would lead us to happiness in fact is the direct cause of so much sadness, despair and suffering.

I wish there was some way to force the GB members to read these accounts and to acknowledge their responsibility. They need to have their faces rubbed in it. It is truly outrageous. Their culpability is only exceeded by their willful resistance to accept responsibility and to admit error. It is beyond shameful. I am at a loss to describe how I truly feel ...

• d
    d

I knew some depressed witness who blamed their problems on it being the last days.What a sick religion. I know one currently who was depressed because my friend was talking to his brother and said he is depressed.

• AlphaQup2nite
    AlphaQup2nite

My mom didnt start on prozac until after she joined the JWs, and i personally had a battle with depression from about 13 until about two years after i left the org. Mine was brought on by being forced to be different from everyone, not being able to have fun with friends from school, no one my own age at the cong in TW, as well as having to live a double life, as well as conflicts with my own ideas and what i have been told was right.

I feel that part of the issue is that when good things happen to JWs they are told to praise god, but when bad things happen its the fault of the JW (they are spiriatually weak, they dont set aside enough time for kingdom intersts, etc) Atleast that was the feeling i had when i was in. This leads to many negative emotions focused internally for things that are totally not one's fault, as well as a self loathing for not being good enough.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have known over 10 JWs or exJWs that have committed suicide. It is a lot higher than the Australian average, but personal observation cannot be used as a statistical relevant measure. I have looked for statistics for information tying suicide to religious affiliation but cannot find anything. I am sure that if governments gave access to census data and death certificates you could do some meaningful analysis but I am not sure if it is possible to get such information released.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Welcome to the board, AlphaQup2nite!!

If you have a chance, you might want to drop in on this thread:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/217976/1/Welcome-Newbies-New-Posters-How-has-this-Board-Assisted-You

We'd love to hear more about your experiences!!

Zid, the board's She-Devil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit