Do you have to deal with a psychopathic person?

by moshe 58 Replies latest social family

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Marked

• moshe
    moshe

Thank you for that book title!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Yes, I've dealt with at least two in my lifetime.

One was High School Bitch two years ago who tried to sabotage mine and my daughter's success in settling into a new place.

One was my X MIL. She'd go into wild rages and be completely insane.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My brother is a narcissist, perhaps worse. I give him bonus point b/c of the abuse we suffered. He will not discuss the abuse, besides noting it. It is all above him. He went from being a JW to a Maoist. He disappears for decades a t a time. Other Maoists said there was political reason for dropping his family. He will re-emerge. When he re-emerged I have a huge wall up against him. He stays just long enough to do something loathsome - such as absconding with my only savings. I had to start a court action to get them back. He cannot acknowledge holidays. Treats women like dirt. Yet when he first comes back, he seems normal.

I needed funds he was keeping. Since he does not live nearby, I called the local police to check on him. He had behaved quasinormally for a while. I thought he was ill and might need help. The police said that he was perfectly all right. When I commenced a law suit, he called me for the first time in six months and acted as though it was coincidence. His manliness was nipped in the bud during his adolescene. Opening doors for women, sending cards, --little manners things that are completely absent.

He left Maoism. His life is more secret than the President's intelligence assessments. It tears me apart. JWs do not present a good male example. Dominate but act like a man. Cowboy up. I grew up with no male strong role models in the WT. I wonder if I am an anamoloy. All these brothers with no skills and dinky jobs, hiding behind women. I want to know that he is safe yet I don't want my heart broken again.

My mom once famously said, "If only there were all bad."

• moshe
    moshe

People who need help for those kind of problems can't get it, until they become a danger to society. I also think that the members of this forum have a greater than average of number of relatives who would score poorly on a pysch test.

• LV101
    LV101

Mother is narcissist/psychopath. One evil woman and is a completely different person to the outside world. Also, have an conniving, jealous, manipulative, sister who suffers depression/anxiety. I'd say she's narcissistic and a shrink told her she's bi-polar but I'm not so sure.

These people certainly make life difficult yet it's amazing how good the narcissistic, psychopathic mother's physical health is -- go figure. I've only had dealings with her lately to determine she and her husband's stability/mental capacity to go on living independently vs. assisted living (wouldn't ya know, my responsibility), and if there wasn't a need for this I'd stay out of the picture completely which I've done as much as possible for years. With any luck at all, I'd rather never have to see her again.

• moshe
    moshe

My mother would have had a better life, if today's mood stabilizer drugs had been available back in the 30's. She had a lot of internal issues with family relationships. It ate at her- she felt minimized and shorted all her life. She got mad at her sister and stayed mad at her for over 20 years- she died mad. Now my aunt, when I asked her 10 years after mom passed about the rift, didn't know what I was talking about. Basically, the break was mostly in my mother's head. When I was growing up, only rich people got mental health treatments and going to a doctor for a tranquilizer was just a step away from the looney bin. Prozac might have given mother the sunshine she could never see in her life.

• talesin
    talesin

Is that the Normal of the great movie "Leaving Normal"?

I haven't read the book (yr welcome), but saw the author interviewed, and it sounds fascinating. :)

Also, I agree that there is a high incidence of mental illness in the JWs,,, think of it ... cognitive dissonance is the 'norm',,, and denial is a way of life.

What I find interesting is that the abuse (our family had lots, not just the jw stuff) seemed to have turned my sibling into a sociopath, but me an empath (not that I'm always nice or perfect) .... mental health has such a maze of possibilities, and really, we have just scratched the surface, so to speak, scientifically/medically.

tal

• moshe
    moshe

Is that the Normal of the great movie "Leaving Normal"?

It was filmed in Canada- No mountains in Normal, Illinois- just corn fields and a college.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Well darn. I posted something on here a couple hours ago but it disapeared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit