Do you have to deal with a psychopathic person?

by moshe 58 Replies latest social family

• moshe
    moshe

Def: Psychopathy (/sa?'k?p?θi/[1][2]) is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime. Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as average individuals by feigning emotions and lying about their pasts.

Much has been written about the psychopathic leanings of the founders of the Watchtower religion and the resultant cost in wasted human lives. I failed to do due diligence in investigating the claims of the little blue Truth book and accepted it on face value. Consequently, I wasted about 16 years of my life because of those corrupt narcissists in Bethel. I recently read that 4% of the population has a psychopathic problem of one sort or another and the other 96% of us have to clean up the mess they make in society. One of the hallmarks of these callous people is the ease with which they can lie, ie, their conscience is not like ours. Please protect yourself from people who use smooth words and pretend interest in order to hurt or use you. We who are survivors of the WT gulag, don't need to fall victim to one of those 4%'ers. Any experiences in dealing with these problem people would be helpful to all.

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

In short, the psychopath - and the narcissist to a lesser extent - is a predator. If we think about the interactions of predators with their prey in the animal kingdom, we can come to some idea of what is behind the "mask of sanity" of the psychopath. Just as an animal predator will adopt all kinds of stealthy functions in order to stalk their prey, cut them out of the herd, get close to them and reduce their resistance, so does the psychopath construct all kinds of elaborate camoflage composed of words and appearances - lies and manipulations - in order to "assimilate" their prey.

This leads us to an important quesion: what does the psychopath REALLY get from their victims? It's easy to see what they are after when they lie and manipulate for money or material goods or power. But in many instances, such as love relationships or faked friendships, it is not so easy to see what the psychopath is after. Without wandering too far afield into spiritual speculations - a problem Cleckley also faced - we can only say that it seems to be that the psychopath ENJOYS making others suffer. Just as normal humans enjoy seeing other people happy, or doing things that make other people smile, the psychopath enjoys the exact opposite.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I think there may be certain jobs for which being a psychopath is an absolute prerequisite.

One of those is certainly founding or running a cult religion.

Charlie Manson, L. Ron Hubbard, Jim Jones - all in the same sorry sack as Russell, Rutherford, and their descendants.

• moshe
    moshe

It appears that the followers of Harold-I'm just a humble teacher-Camping, have had to become victims in order to learn this lesson , too. It's never his fault.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    It appears that the followers of Harold-I'm just a humble teacher-Camping, have had to become victims in order to learn this lesson , too. It's never his fault.

Absolutely, and I would give you a pretty good wager that there is probably a Rutherford-type in his organization just waiting to take over when he dies.

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

I have TWO psychopath witness relatives. My father and my uncle. I am not exaggerating here, they fit ALL of the criteria! I was raised a witness and can say that I knew many hundreds of witnesses. Many had their shortcomings and some were probably at least abusive, but none fit the criteria of a psychopath. My dad was literally feared and unliked by the whole congregation and to this day doen't have a single friend. My uncle has moved all over the world being an insane JW. He used to be a commuter to bethel and did international construction in Africa and Central America. He now lives somewhere in South America and is nuts! Guess who gets to see both of these psychos at a non-witness funeral Sunday? I hope I make it out alive!!!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I used to. Charming, funny, loving-------until the cops came pounding on the door at 3am. But that's a long story and entails a journey into which I thought I WAS THE CRAZY ONE, and such is the mastery of the sociopath.

NC

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Hmmmm

• james_woods
    james_woods

Does everybody's ex-wife count?

• moshe
    moshe

I fell victim to a sweet charming woman who became my second wife (1990). She was a faithful spirit-filled church goer to a little wacky (IMO) Vineyard Church. It was only after we were married that her true nature began to come out. She was a regular guest ( I found out too late) every 3 or 4 years for two weeks of locked ward mental therapy to level mood her again. I cut my losses after 9 months- and her family said it was my fault for not doing more to take care of her. Of course they had a lifetime of learning how to walk on eggshells around her, so as not to set her off. And I was supposed to learn how to do that, too. My 12 year old daughter committed the unforgiveable crime of, USING THE GUEST TOWEL in her bathroom. That mean irrational reaction from her should have set off warning bells- and it did, but I overlooked the warning. Please trust your gut instincts!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Chilling article and all too true. *puts covers over head*

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit