Def: Psychopathy (/sa?'k?p?θi/) is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime. Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as average individuals by feigning emotions and lying about their pasts.
Much has been written about the psychopathic leanings of the founders of the Watchtower religion and the resultant cost in wasted human lives. I failed to do due diligence in investigating the claims of the little blue Truth book and accepted it on face value. Consequently, I wasted about 16 years of my life because of those corrupt narcissists in Bethel. I recently read that 4% of the population has a psychopathic problem of one sort or another and the other 96% of us have to clean up the mess they make in society. One of the hallmarks of these callous people is the ease with which they can lie, ie, their conscience is not like ours. Please protect yourself from people who use smooth words and pretend interest in order to hurt or use you. We who are survivors of the WT gulag, don't need to fall victim to one of those 4%'ers. Any experiences in dealing with these problem people would be helpful to all.
In short, the psychopath - and the narcissist to a lesser extent - is a predator. If we think about the interactions of predators with their prey in the animal kingdom, we can come to some idea of what is behind the "mask of sanity" of the psychopath. Just as an animal predator will adopt all kinds of stealthy functions in order to stalk their prey, cut them out of the herd, get close to them and reduce their resistance, so does the psychopath construct all kinds of elaborate camoflage composed of words and appearances - lies and manipulations - in order to "assimilate" their prey.
This leads us to an important quesion: what does the psychopath REALLY get from their victims? It's easy to see what they are after when they lie and manipulate for money or material goods or power. But in many instances, such as love relationships or faked friendships, it is not so easy to see what the psychopath is after. Without wandering too far afield into spiritual speculations - a problem Cleckley also faced - we can only say that it seems to be that the psychopath ENJOYS making others suffer. Just as normal humans enjoy seeing other people happy, or doing things that make other people smile, the psychopath enjoys the exact opposite.