Woe is me...

by gutted 16 Replies latest social relationships

• mamalove
    mamalove

I have often thought that I might try online dating if I wanted to get out there. I don't have experience in it, but some of my friends have. They go on lots of dates. All I can think of is that perhaps your pictures need to be flattering and your profile make you seem interesting.

Being an introvert, I think that social settings can be a struggle for some. Are you a good conversationalist? If not, perhaps work on conversation skills, be interested in other people, practice on old ladies on the bus, etc.

Second, girls like confidence, not arrogance. We like guys that have their act together, and that we can respect.

I could go on and on about this stuff, but first dates are fairly important on making a decent impression. Do you have any gal pals that you can get some honest opinions from and maybe they can help? If you are tired of online dating, perhaps just try to live life, observe people, go to places that you like to go, and maybe the right girl is there too? Just be patient and love yourself and nurture your inner person to figure out how to be your authentic self.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I'm with rebel 8. If you are looking for a one night stand, I suppose a prostitute will, for the money, tell you anything you want to hear.

If you'd like to meet a person with a view to a relationship, you need to start making friends.

All of the suggestions for walking club, etc. are good ones. Plus, if you didn't complete your education because of being a JW, this would make sense. You'll meet fellow students, plus increase your self-esteem by learning more about the world around you. Not to mention the opportunity to learn skills that will enable you to support yourself and someone else.

I have been married for forty one years. We started as friends, and still are best friends. That's why we've lasted so long. I hope you find your special someone that you can be yourself around, and enjoy each other's company.

• moshe
    moshe

Did you ever talk to a therapist? There are counselors who specialize in "relationship" disfunctions. I think you need to find out, if there are any issues unknown to you that a professional can see. I would bet a good one will zero in on any missteps that have kept you in first gear. Good luck.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Dear (((((((((((((((Gutted))))))))))))))) hugs from a mama. Did you see the movie "Crazy Stupid Love?" While hilarious there actually were some good tips in the beginning about dating.

The tips you've received here are a good place to start. Go into meeting people as though you're only making friends. It will take some of the pressure off. Keep things light at first. Ask

questions but not intrusive ones. Listen carefully to her answers and respond in the affirmative to her feelings. I agree, John Gray's books are very helpful. Good luck!

• Think About It
    Think About It
    All I can think of is that perhaps your pictures (online) need to be flattering...

Wear some tight pants, stuff a zucchini down your leg, and take a full body pic.

Works for me.

Think About It

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Hi,

There's a lot that comes down to first reactions. I have on my dating profile (just started a new profile a week ago) 70 visitors/week, 20 conversations and have several dates planned even though my chosen post-JW lifestyle is not going to be monogamous and my profile reflects that. My first date was yesterday with someone who is into my lifestyle as well and we had a great time, even brought her over to my place.

a) Pictures - the cuter the better. Not you being cute (although it helps) but the picture being cute. I have as icon a really cute picture of me and my daughter when she was newborn and even though you can hardly make out my face or even my daughter, it gets so much response. Then I also have a picture of me laughing and another one or two, one is making faces in a swimming pool, but those are less important. Make sure you smile or do something fun and weird in the picture, something that stands out. Don't show off your abs or any other body members, it's not a turn on unless you're a Calvin Klein underwear model (and even then, his pictures are more classy). SMILE and FUN, activities. A picture of you at the convention in your suit, not good. Go here: http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/my-best-face/ it helped me TREMENDOUSLY, I used their service and reorganized my pictures with instant results.

b) Send a non-short message that explains who you are, your goals etc. even though they may be in your profile. Don't just send a girl "Hi". Make a female profile if you can and see what kind of messages they get and then don't imitate the majority of those. I tried a fake profile and had immediately 10's of messages without even a picture all saying hi and asking for sex.

I have a bit of a boilerplate message myself that explains about me, my hobbies and my job, that I think they're interesting, I fill in what I think is interesting about their profile throughout the message (you have to read it and mention specific or funny stuff) and they should visit my profile to find out more. I would say 40% response rate. If it's thought out and it is geared towards them, women like that. Since it's boilerplate I can cut and paste and in 2 minutes or less send a highly personalized message. If you make it about them they will more readily respond, since my lifestyle is not fitting in everybody's wishes, I do get a lot of "thanks for sending me such a nice thought out message, it's a refreshing change to see that there are still guys like you. I do like that you're honest about your lifestyle but I'm not looking for such relationship", I have about 3 girls that want to keep me as a friend though.

c) Don't let out everything to everyone. Your profile should have some basic information and some extended information on why you're interesting but don't spill all the beans. Especially our pasts as a JW make for a magnificent sob story and nobody wants to hear it (well they do, but not in a first message or some even in a first date). I keep some things an explicitly unrevealed (a witty "well, I would love to tell you more about this but not in public") on my profile and it provokes questions from girls that want to know more.

d) Don't talk about sex or your body's dimensions unless she initiates it. Don't talk about sex in your profile. Don't send sexually tinted first messages. Don't tick off the "casual sex" button. Women are not interested in pure sex (most aren't) and some even have filters on such people so they won't even see you.

e) Be honest and don't brag. Nobody likes sitting in front of fireplaces or long walks on the beach. Those are corny and even if you like them as romantic outings those would not be things you enjoy in every day life.

f) Be witty and intelligent and you can show off slightly if you are intelligent in real life or have a really interesting job but again, don't brag and be honest. It's a huge turn on for most to have someone educated.

Depending on your area you may have lots of available people or not, you won't be able to keep up with all of them anyway and right now I'm struggling to juggle them into real life dates and keeping everyone apart. You also won't get instant results, women have to warm up to you so don't ask them on a date in your second message, talk to them as you would in real life, don't be a creeper.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I suggest you just concentrate on yourself figure out what you like to do, places you like to go what interests you and you'll find the right person in those places. Don't focus too heavily on meeting someone because if your somewhere only for that reason the people there won't be right for you. Any day could be the day wake up each day ready for a surprise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit