Bonfire night, do you attend?

by highdose 7 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

when i was a child i used to watch the fireworks from afar at my bedroom window. All while hearing a healthy dose of how it was a sinster pagan filled ritual!... but i secrectly always wanted to be there.

I'm happy to say i just attended my 2nd bonfire night in two years! I love it! i've even written my name in sparklers! I've cooed, oooohed and ahhhed with everyone else in the chilly night air.

Its my favorite time of year and i normaly wait two weeks now and then put up the xmas lights.

... For those of you who don't know: bonfire night is a traditional british celebration on the 5th of November. Its half a exhuse to let off a ton of fireworks and have a huge fire. the other half of the reason is to celebrate that several centeries ago a cathloic terrorist did not mange to blow up the houses of paraliment and the king! For this reason we also make up a "guy" a man shaped dummy in the form of the terrorist guy falkes and we put this on top of the bonfire and burn it! Sounds odd i know but then most nations celebrations are really.But its really just an exhuse to have a great time.

Do you now attend?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

We are going to our first one tomorrow.

when i was a child i used to watch the fireworks from afar at my bedroom window. All while hearing a healthy dose of how it was a sinster pagan filled ritual!... but i secrectly always wanted to be there.

I did this too.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I have bought a big box, and am inviting a few pepes round.

Ohhh I feel like a kid again!!!!

• highdose
    highdose

have a hot toddy and a toffee apple for me cantleave! i can't get them out here :(

I attend the biggest and the best display on the island. thousands of euros go on the fireworks and the display lasts for over 30mins! its so big they have to stop the planes from coming in while its going on!

my favorite firework is the golden simmerly chandalier type one.... love it!

• mummatron
    mummatron

Highdose, why not make your own toffee apples..? http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13599/homemade-toffee-apples

I'm embarassed to say I've never attended a proper bonfire night celebration. I've done sparklers out the back, and been to plenty of fireworks displays that weren't related to Nov 5th, but in all my 12 XJW years I've yet to attend one. In my defense, it doesn't help that it is usually either freezing cold, or so wet that many of the nearby council-run displays get postponed.

• looloo
    looloo

i would love to but going to work this aft 2 till 10 just had my first halloween since a child ! and ive not been to a meeting for 14 years !!!!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

For this reason we also make up a "guy" a man shaped dummy in the form of the terrorist guy falkes and we put this on top of the bonfire and burn it! Sounds odd i know but then most nations celebrations are really.But its really just an exhuse to have a great time.

Sure. Add in some weed, alcohol, hallucinagens, hook up sex and roving art exibits, all in the remote Nevada desert, and you have Burning Man.

burning man

burning manburning man

• Heaven
    Heaven

I've not heard of "Bonfire Night". In Canada we celebrate certain holidays, like Canada Day, with fireworks. I don't think any bonfires are lit.

As a kid and young adult we used to have our own bonfires at certain times, usually at Thanksgiving (in October) when Dad had collected enough scrap wood and tree debris to burn. We have to get a permit from the fire department before the burn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit