Weird things JWs can't own or wear

by lilbluekitty 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Also posted on the Yuku forum.

I thought it might be amusing to make a list of things I remember when I was a dub that we couldn't have or own or wear. (Some of these things vary by where you live, in other places dubs have them, it just depends). Obviously the list goes on forever, but feel free to add things. Oh and certain things are just obvious like cigarettes, drugs, sex toys, etc.

Objects
    Wind chimes
    "Indian" corn on your door
    Wreaths on your door
    A single candle or fake candle in each window
    Dreamcatchers
    Smurfs
    Harry Potter stuff
    Lord Of The Rings stuff
    Fairies, unicorns, mermaids, other "magical" creatures
    Disney movies
    Anything with the word "magic" in it, even if it was just something cute for kids
    Jumanji
    Horror movies
    Rated R movies
    Heavy metal, rap, country, rock (you get the idea)
    Other versions of the Bible
    Religious books not by the society
    Pokemon and other anime
    Dragons
    Skulls
    Yin yangs
    Peace signs
    Horn jewelery
    Anything religious such as statues, icons, what have you, pictures of Jesus unless drawn by the society (apparently the idea of Jesus having long hair is evil)
    Anything considered "pagan"
    Aliens
    Angels, even the cute cherubs
    In some areas, heart shapes are considered pagan, same with stars

Clothes items you can't wear to the meeting (but some of these things you can wear anywhere else)
    Fishnet stockings
    Flip flops
    Women with bare legs
    Men wearing hats (but women can)
    Skirts at or above the knee
    Funny ties (like Mickey Mouse)
    Funny socks
    Sideburns
    Beards
    In some areas, even mustaches (sp?)
    Crocs
    Women wearing pants
    Any haircolor not deemed "natural" and even if it is a normal color like blonde, you may be viewed as "slutty"
    Afros
    Cornrows
    Dark lipstick
    Any piercing except one hole in each ear for women only
    Ankle bracelets
    Toe rings
    Black or very dark nail polish
    Tattoos
    Sneakers
    In some areas, women wearing tank tops or sleeveless tops
    Tube tops or tube dresses
    Sun-dresses
    In some areas, extremely long skirts and dresses are considered immodest
    I've noticed dubs treat people with incredibly pale skin and dark hair like they're worldly and "gothic"
    Oh yeah goth clothes are considered evil and even if you just wear black a lot they think you're goth
    Natural red-heads sometimes get picked on for their hair being too bright
    High heels over 3 inches
    Certain types of shoes are considered too "extreme"

The list goes on, but let's see what's "banned" in your area?

• flipper
    flipper

Thongs ? Nudity ? Mini-Skirts ? Push-up bras ? Gorilla costumes ? Tinker Bell costumes ?Anything Halloween ? Just a few from my memory of being a JW

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Hah that's true, I bought thong underwear once in my early 20s and my mother thought sure I was fornicating and when I had a pair in my bag when I visited my grandparents my grandmother threw them in the trash without saying a word to me about it. *rolls eyes*

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

My dad had a bible study who's daughters LOVED the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the '80s. (I actually did, too, but kept it on the DL.) Anyway, we

had a Sunday public talk speaker go off on a personal tangent against said Turtles. Needless to say, it was the first meeting that the bible study had attended........and it was his last!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

You can't wear jean skirts to the meetings. But,I've always had wind chimes,even as a Witness. I think that is an old timer thing,only radical Witnesses still go by that one. lol. The ones who believe everything is pretty much demonized.

My friend moved out of an apartment and a Witness moved in right after her. She left something with Japanese symbols on it. He found it and threw it out. When she asked about it,he told her he thought it had spiritistic symbols on it and threw it away. She said it was a gift from her uncle. He felt bad then,and said he would replace it. But,it came from Japan,and her uncle is an elder,so I doubt he would buy any symbols that would summon spirits,hahaha.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No Beatles albums - not even the Ed Sullivan period. No Beatles posters.

Their dress is so bizarre now that I can spot a Bethelite on the NYC subway. I confirm my suspicions. Can;t explain how I know but the overall impression is clear. I don't tell them I'm apostate. They freak cause they don't whether I am active or not. Next, I flirt with them a bit. Funny. Used to be so terrified of them.There was a huge difference between NJ and Mass in what you could wear. So stockings are required even if sweltering heat? So sick.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Yeah stockings are required up north at least (New England area) even if the temperatures reach the 90s or more. When my mom pioneered one year when I was a kid, during the summer one day she just ripped off her stockings and told the sister she was with that if it offended her that my mom didn't want to die of heat stroke then maybe she'd like to work with someone else. The sister she was with ripped off her stockings too =D

The worst thing, is in the winter up there, my sister and I were still forced to go out in service no matter what unless it was snowing (because no one would open their doors lol, smart people!) with skirts and thin little stockings on. Finally my mom felt bad for us and started letting us wear long coats with leggings on underneath our skirts.

Do sisters in Alaska and Russia and stuff have to wear skirts out in service, I wonder??? Poor things!!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You can't wear Flip-flops!?!? Are you kidding!!!

Flip-flps should be the preferred recreational shoes of all JWs everywhere.

If you gotta' ask why, you'll never get it, so don't bother.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Yeah flip-flops at meetings were a huge topic where I grew up in New England. They were considered inappropriate footwear because bros. decided they only belonged at the beach. Basically any thong-type sandal was not allowed.

• N.drew
    N.drew

OODAD I get it, but probably would not have got it if you didn't leave a qualifier. flip flop = flip flopping. Not swiss yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit