James Beverley's book on Penton's expulsion now on Abebooks

by MrMonroe 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

"Crisis of Allegiance" is a slim, but excellent book written by a professor of religion on the events in Lethbridge, Alberta, around 1981, that led to the expulsion of Jim Penton, a JW who believed he was anointed but also happened to think the WTS had some doctrines wrong.

It's a great read that ties in quite closely with the campaign to get rid of Ray Franz, showing the dirty tricks used by the society to rid themselves of someone who dared to question them. Penton was an academic who the Society loved when he wrote a book on their human rights legal challenges ... but when he expanded his research and decided to do a book on their history, POW! They began regarding him with great suspicion. "Apocalypse Delayed" was the final product .... started while he was "in" and finished when he was "out".

"Crisis of Allegiance" is often quite hard to find. But I received an email alert today that it is now online through Abebooks. Highly recommended.

• TD
    TD

I've always thought very highly of Jim Penton. Thanks!

• darthfader
  • Quendi
    Quendi

I'll put this book on my reading list for sure. Thanks for the heads-up, MrMonroe.

Quendi

• VM44
    VM44

Abebooks lists one used bookstore in Canada that has the book.

Here are the details:

CRISIS OF ALLEGIANCE A Study of Dissent Among Jehovah's Witnesses
    Beverley, James A.
    Bookseller: Apologia Words and Music (Mississauga, ON, Canada)

Quantity Available: 1

Book Description: Welch, 1986. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good, Wear. Assumed First, No History. Bookseller Inventory # 023570

Bibliographic Details

Publisher: Welch
    Publication Date: 1986
    Binding: Trade Paperback
    Book Condition: Very Good, Wear
    Edition: Assumed First, No History

Price: US$ 12.00
    Shipping: US$ 10.00
    From Canada to U.S.A.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

When I checked Abebooks, there were 2 available. One was being sold by kbooksusa. The same seller had it listed on Amazon, and I bought it there. Aparrently the seller had only one copy, so when I bought it from Amazon, it dropped from Abebooks.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

It pops up from time to time. I obtained it by creating a "wants" list at Abebooks; Alibris has a similar feature, I think. It's well worth adding to your library.

• dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Penton is no longer a JW. Yay!

Penton is still a Christian Crusader from what I hear. No yay. Frying pan to fire. Same old shit. I could be wrong about that.

He used a little material from my Berta/Bonnie thread in one of his books, but only briefly and didn't quote the source.

The last book of his I read was "Apocalypse Delayed", and it was excellent and fair and balanced. It is definitely a book to have for those who still give a shit about the WTS. I no longer give a shit about the WTS. I have spent too much time and energy and YEARS on that subject.

He lived in Mexico the last time I heard, but I could be wrong. Barb would know.

Farkel

• dgp
    dgp

It's always nice to see your posts, Farkel.

My perspective is that Penton's book could use a little more history outside of the United States and Canada. I think that sometimes he is too soft on the WT, but that is me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit