The Watchtower Loses Action Against Bank (Fifth Third Bank)

by TJ Curioso 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• compound complex
    compound complex

Something similar happened close to home but involved a much larger sum of money. The WT intervened and the results were not so good for other beneficiaries, whom I know personally.

CoCo

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    I can just imagine what the response would be if a JW was in the WT's position and they wrote to the WT for advice. I bet they would tell them not to pursue it so as to not bring reproach on Jehovah's name.
    This really says what they are all about, actions sure speak louder than words.

I was thinking the same................. what brother could do the same to another brother without any consequences?

• Violia
    Violia

If this bank is forced in the end to pay twice, the estate and the WT, well that is some bad publicity . Why would the WT goes after a measly sum of 99K ? They don't need this money. I wonder if they might try and turn the emotional screws to the family? ( esp if they are jws) Poor bank.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Yeah, I agree with Sweeney......I think it's kind of a win for the WTS. They won their appeal and were granted legal fees from 5/3 bank. The case was remanded back to the lower court to reconsider. We'll have to see if they can get their hands on this deceased brother's money.

This is the type of thing that disgusts me with the WTS.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I only wish I had the power to tax the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery. I would impose a 250% income tax on such proceeds that are wrested away from families by religious groups--that would mean they would pay 250,000 toilet papers to seize 100,000 from a family. That would leave them taking a bath for 150,000 toilet papers--on top of legal fees, which I would soak the Washtowel for.

It's high time for the IRS to do a little something to earn their living, and hardball-audit the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery from top to bottom. Perhaps a TCMP-style audit would do--I bet they could make more money that way than from all the tax audits they perform on regular citizens put together, and since it would be one big audit instead of millions of smaller ones, the costs would be lower.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Actually, this is NOT a loss for the WTBTS; it simply means that case goes to trial. The WTBTS is not "estopped" (paragraph 15), and they had no "duty to intervene" so the doctrine of "laches" doesn't apply to them. Laches is basically sitting on your rights; if you know you have an interest in a litigation and do nothing, then you can't come back and complain about it. But the issue before the probate court was "who" got the money; these issues are negligence, breach of contract and tort, issues over which the probate court might not even have jurisdiction. So, WTBTS is NOT precluded from bringing these actions.

All that happened was that they court denied the WTBTS's motion for summary judgment, which is a PRE-TRIAL motion saying that the other litigant's (Bank) case is so deficient that the court should just rule in favor of the motioner right now without a trial. The court said no, there are material issues of fact and reversed and remanded the case for trial. Therefore a "fact-finder" (judge/jury) must make these determinations after hearing testimony and viewing evidence.

The Bank is in trouble. The clerk changed the POD name, but that bank can't find the supporting paperwork. It appears to be the bank's policy that customers do that in person. At first blush, it looks like the guy came in to change the POD, and the bank "negligently" lost the supporting paperwork, which caused the WTBTS to not get the money. So, WTBTS has a chance of collecting the money, costs, and attorneys fees from the bank under a tort claim.

47} Accordingly, I would find that summary judgment in favor of Fifth Third was proper. ..."

This is from the DISSENTING or disagreeing judge's opinion; the court ruled oppposite of him, and he is explaining why he thinks the court is wrong.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave
    But YOU say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have by which you might get benefit from me is a gift dedicated to God,” he must not honor his father at all.’ And so YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition. YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, ‘This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. - Mat 15:5-8

Obviously, in JWland, a gift dedicated to "God" (yeah, right) is more important than family. Jehovah only asked for 10%, but the greedy Watchtower wants it all.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

In a way, Wontleave, JWs are worse because Jehovah asked for 10% only from the living, but they passed everything on to the next generation.

JWs want the 10%+ from the living, AND they want to take everything from the next generation! But then, that's probably what you meant when you said they wanted "it all."

At least in this case, the estate got the money, and the bank probably was negligent and needs to be held accountable.

• GOrwell
    GOrwell

@MS : the court was confused as well, over the proper name of the Watchtower. I think it's on the first page or two of the judgement (that ohio pdf) in a footnote, where they basically chose one of the two names lol..

• Scott77
    Scott77

I honestly think this article is quite damaging to the WT's reputation if any active witness ever saw it.

The WT likes to portray themselves as champions of free speech and fighting for the underdog in courts, but this clearly shows them money grubbing and trying to strong-arm individuals over money.

Where is the glory to Jehovah in fighting over a dead man's cash?

Sad.

Paralipomenon

I feel the same way. The watchtower action in this case is very disgusting and troubling. So much for god's only organisation on earth. What a greedy shark.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit