No More Missionaries

by Lunatic Faith 68 Replies latest jw friends

• antes8080
    antes8080

Yes this is true, the letter came in on last Thursday, it was a suprise for many.

But the gilead school is going to be replace with the couple school its only two months and you have to pay for your expenses so in away is a good idea the WT will win on this, specially saving money and not having to pay for health insurence...

Also the couple school you could be 50yrs old and gilead close the door at 40yrs old..

• Quendi
    Quendi

I am disgusted and angered by what NVR2L8 has shared with us, knowing it is the unvarnished truth. I knew a woman who served as a missionary in Peru for eight years. She had to give up her assignment when she contracted mononucleosis. I asked her how did she like the work and her eyes would glow as she shared some of her experiences. She was typical of so many who became missionaries out of a real love for God and a desire to reach as many people as possible before Armageddon hit. The comments on this thread show that the WTS has viewed its missionaries as assets and not as agents of Christ sent to other lands to not only preach but to share comfort with those in need.

The recent development in Ireland only underscores NVR2L8's last point. The WTS is selling the branch office there. The Irish economy is in the dumps, unemployment is over 10%, and many people are living hand-to-mouth. Yet the WTS will use the proceeds from the sale of a complex built primarily with volunteer labor to enrich itself. The Irish Witnesses, who number a measley 6,000, won't see a penny of the money the sale will net. Tha is the modus operandi the WTS is using around the world: sell properties to which it holds the title and put the money in its own coffers. But it will denounce other religions for fleecing their flocks. Hypocrites!! All I can do when I hear these kind of stories is cry out as Isaiah did, "How long, O Jehovah?"

Quendi

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What is described in this thread fits my theory. The society is hunkering down waiting for the current flock to die off. They are not in a growth mode, but instead doing everything they can to secure their assets. They will do as little as possible and only do enough to retain their current religious tax position.

You will not see any major changes to the belief. They feel confident that a core group will hang on, and they don't want to upset these folks.

Once we are all dead, a few decades from now, you will see the society reemerge with a brand new faith. They will be rich and no one will remember the past.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There are a lot of "Gileadites" that leave the "truth" because they are forced to study the Bible intensively for 5 months. There are a couple of ex-Gileadites on YouTube and I know a couple myself that I haven't heard off after they came back.

They seem to be running on fumes financially. The only thing left is their real estate which they are now selling off to fund their country club in Walkill and to keep the flock riled up (and donating) hoping for a rebound of the economy so the R&F can get "blessed" and donate their better wages. Just look at the recent developments:

- Selling off local Kingdom Halls and regrouping congregations in the cities to 2 & 3 congregations per hall

- Major battles in court and million-dollar settlements over child abuse around the world

- Major battles in court and settlements on the blood and disfellowshipping doctrine in the EU to keep them from paying taxes

- Selling off prime property in Brooklyn and around the world

- Relocating the work to Canada and laying off half of their work force

- Pushing in the literature "to do more" on your own dime, no more calls for either missionaries or bethelites

- Missionaries reduced (already been going on for a couple of years, I know 1 family that was severely disillusioned by it) and now left on their own

- Major increases in cost to the congregations for CO and KH arrangements as well as costs charged for Assembly Halls

- Credit card machines at 3 day conventions last year and now in Assembly Halls as well

• dgp
    dgp

I wonder if this change would also reflect the fact that the WT does not seem to be growing in developed countries. Years ago, Catholic missionaries were still mostly white. There seemed to be millions of French nuns and Canadian (Quebecker), Italian and Spanish priests. I honestly don't recall ever seeing a young French nun. So maybe something like this is happening to the WT?

Mormon missionaries used to be blond Americans, invariably, but these days there's always a blond and a brown. The brown is sometimes American born, but not necessarily. I think this reflects demographic changes within Mormonism.

Was Gilead the only place around the world where they trained missionaries? What about other countries?

I assume that they will try to convince older couples to live in Third World countries so they can "stretch" their money, as Painted Toe Nail said. Maybe you guys are aware that, for example, Central American countries and Mexico are attracting American baby boomers, because their income would follow them. Some countries even have laws to this end. I assume the Watchtower would ride that wave.

I met American witnesses who, as a matter of routine, travel South to receive medical treatment.

Shopaholic made a good point. If there are no sponsored visas, then it can be somewhat harder to stay in the country of choice. Your residence visa is approved on the basis of your own merits for it, not on anything related to freedom of religion. It also means you have to prove you can work. But Third World countries generally don't impose restrictions on migration, for reasons that, I assume, are obvious to all of us.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    Was Gilead the only place around the world where they trained missionaries? What about other countries?

As far as I know, the Gilead school was based at the American HQ. If you wanted to attend Gilead, it was held there.

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

cameo-d, How is it that you are aware of the fact that armageddon is in progress? Nobody is supposed to know the day or the hour but you know it is in progress. And if you are going to refer to biblical events such as the flood are you saying nobody noticed the rain.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

We know the real reason for the change, but what I am interested in is - what is the spin?

Why does this change show we are very very near the end?

• Scott77
    Scott77

I know a couple of missionaries in Africa and their living arrangements. Compared to locals, their lifestyle is above their locals. Missionaries have cars, motorcycles and do live in posh houses with nutrientious meals on par with western standard. All are paid for by Watchtower. On top of that, their homes is maintained free by local live-in brothers and sisters who stay in boy's Quarters. The locals who are full time pioneers, do not share food with the missionaries though they live there for free probably as part of the deal. Locals unlike missionaries, do not have health care insurances. Locals are considered as part of Bethel Family/Missionary Home. Once a year, missionaries fly back to their homes with half expenses paid for by the local congregations and by their home country congregations. I know one former missionary couple who become regular pioneer after setting up a very successful bussiness. Living in third world country is quiet cheaper, about five to six times compared to western countries.

Scott77

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I'm sure money is a driving factor, but I think there is more. They are trying to extend the time of the end. They've updated generations a number of times, in effect, pushing the end farther in the future. But another sign is that this good news will be preached in all the world and then the end will come. They need to slow down that preaching! They are nearing their end, and they are trying to put it off a few more years.

It seems like they are only trying to keep who they have for as long as they have them. Why else would they focus on such an inefficient means of preaching in the information age?

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit