Why do Jehovah’s Witnesses preach from house to house?

by mankkeli 34 Replies latest jw friends

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

This explanation is extracted from the reasoning book, page 205

Jesus foretold for our day this work: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” He also instructed his followers: “Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.”—Matt. 24:14; 28:19.

When Jesus sent out his early disciples, he directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matt. 10:7, 11-13) The apostle Paul said regarding his ministry: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”—Acts 20:20, 21; see also Acts 5:42.

The message that the Witnesses proclaim involves the lives of people; they want to be careful to miss no one. (Zeph. 2:2, 3) Their calls are motivated by love—first for God, also for their neighbor.

A conference of religious leaders in Spain noted this: “Perhaps [the churches] are excessively neglectful about that which precisely constitutes the greatest preoccupation of the Witnesses—the home visit, which comes within the apostolic methodology of the primitive church. While the churches, on not a few occasions, limit themselves to constructing their temples, ringing their bells to attract the people and to preaching inside their places of worship, [the Witnesses] follow the apostolic tactic of going from house to house and of taking advantage of every occasion to witness.”—El Catolicismo, Bogotá, Colombia, September 14, 1975, p. 14.

Are the witnesses really preaching the good news Jesus established or their door knocking obssession is a mere caricarture of Jesus' activities?. Please comment

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Its a way to waste time until you die waiting for a salvation that is never going to come.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Mr Freeze - Do you disagree with the statement that their calls are motivated by love for neighbour and for God. Which evidence do you have, please expantiate.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

It's not motivated by either. How quickly do JW's who get turned down at the door say "I can't wait to have their house at Armageddon." They don't care about people. They care about hours and trying to earn brownie points. How else do you explain the pioneer shuffle?

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

You are right, thumbs up

• Kahlua
    Kahlua

One Saturday morning not long ago I was working in the yard. I came around the end of the house toward the front and saw a pickup truck in the driveway. I walked on around further and saw two young men at the front door. While working I had been thinking about politics and the people running for office and automatically thought they were working for some politicians.

They handed me a one page leaflet and said they were inviting everyone to a meeting in the area. Still thought it was about politics. They turned and left and I looked closer at the paper and realized it was for a JW assembly over an hour's drive away.

Point is, they were not preaching any good news about anything. Just handed me the invitation and poof they were gone.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jesus spoke in Public or Small Groups..He advised against going house to house..

Luke 7:10

New International Version(©1984)
    Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

New Living Translation(©2007)
    Don't move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide. Don't hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.

English Standard Version(©2001)
    And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house.

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    "Stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

International Standard Version(©2008)
    Stay with the same family, eating and drinking whatever they provide, because the worker deserves his pay. Don't move from house to house.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
    “But stay in that house while you are eating and drinking of what is theirs, for the worker is worthy of his fare, and do not move from house to house.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    Stay with the family that accepts you. Eat and drink whatever they offer you. After all, the worker deserves his pay. Do not move around from one house to another.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the laborer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

American King James Version
    And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the laborer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

American Standard Version
    And in that same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the laborer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

Bible in Basic English
    And keep in that same house, taking what food and drink they give you: for the worker has a right to his reward. Do not go from house to house.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    And in the same house, remain, eating and drinking such things as they have: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Remove not from house to house.

Darby Bible Translation
    And in the same house abide, eating and drinking such things as they have; for the workman is worthy of his hire. Remove not from house to house.

English Revised Version
    And in that same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
    And in that same house stay, eating and drinking at their table; for the labourer deserves his wages. Do not move from one house to another.

World English Bible
    Remain in that same house, eating and drinking the things they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Don't go from house to house.

Young's Literal Translation
    And in that house remain, eating and drinking the things they have, for worthy is the workman of his hire; go not from house to house,

The Watchtower ignores Jesus and likes to Piss people Off..

So Jehovah`s Witness`s go from door to door..

...................;-)...OUTLAW

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

JW like many other religions or cults have verious different personalities therfore some do it out of obligation, orthers because they think they are doing the right thing or out of love. It would be better to tell who does it out of love/want is take away the monthly slips and you would see how many go out, I would bet a huge number would stop going out.

Besides that, Jesus isn't JWs saviour other than they pay through Jesus which really doesn't make any sense if he's not their mediator. Jesus never preached paradise earth so what exactly are JW preaching? Whatever it is, it has nothing to do with Mt 24:14.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

diamondiiz nailed it. Maybe I'm a little rude to assume that they all aren't trying to be loving to their neighbor. There are some who go out because they genuinely do care. In my experience though, except for those select few, it's all about getting your time in.

• jay88
    jay88

“Go . . . and make disciples of people of all the nations.”

Hell of a campaign, ......to know that he preached mainly among his Jewish people

Leave it to a Militant Zealot, who hears from spirits, to spread the message to us no-good gentiles.

jay,....chilling Friend of Fred

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit