Higher Education and Disqualification for Privileges in the Congregation

by 00DAD 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It's interesting that the "Situation" given states, "The daughter of an elder studies at university far from home with the goal of earning a lot of money."

This is clearly WT-code loaded-language to scream, "She's materialistic!"

But a little critical thinking exposes that flaw: What is "a lot of money"? Notice it doesn't say, "to make a decent living" or to develop her natural talents and gifts. Notice also that, unlike the first "Situation" the second doesn't even mention what her field of study is.

More manipulative control tactics by the WT BORG.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I have to ask this question as someone who has never been an elder but has obtained a large pdf file of policy letters that seems to be missin MANY letters I've heard mentioned in various discussions:

Is it common for the Borg to send out letters to the body of elders with the explicit instruction to destroy it after reading it?

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    Is it common for the Borg to send out letters to the body of elders with the explicit instruction to destroy it after reading it?

Yes, very common.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

That or that a particular NEW letter is to replace an OLD letter which should be .... you guessed it: DESTROYED!

• erbie
    erbie

This thread is interesting if not surprising.

In my old congregation our PO was encouraging all and sundry to go window cleaning and 'pioneer' while he was adamant that his two sons should attend college and enter the same profession as himself which they both did.

Such duplicity!

Just glad I never paid attention to the nonsense.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes, very common.

Er, no, not common at all.

The closest thing is when there is a BOE letter which includes the instruction "this letter replaces the letter dated January 21, 2007. That letter should be removed and destroyed".

That's a lot different than receiving a letter which says "destroy this letter you are holding after reading it". I've never seen that.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Shades of Mission Impossible: This letter will self destruct in 30 seconds....

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

I have yet to see anyone earn beyond a normal living wage by getting a college degree.

Not in this economy.

White Dove - Most JWs do not know what a normal living wage is. I work with THOUSANDS of folks with college degrees making HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in this economy!!!!!!

I was a JW for 38 years, including 15 as an elder and w/o a college degree I make 100K! With a degree I could be a Director or VP and make 200-500K doing the same work!

To state that a college degree does not matter in this economy is ignorant. And frankly most JWs are just that when it comes to education and making money...ignorant.

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

The daughter of an elder studies at university far from home with the goal of
    earning a lot of money. The elder and his wife tell other brothers that their daughter is doing
    this at their request, in view of the good economic situation that she will have and the prestige
    which the family will gain

I have a major issue with this and always have. What is wrong with EARNING A LOT OF MONEY!!!! Their are prominent elders in the organization who EARN A LOT OF MONEY!!! They are used on Circuit and District Assemblies and hold responsible positions in District and Circuit organizations. I actually had one very wealthy, prominent elder tell me: "Live your life like the system is going to end tomorrow, but spend your money like its never going to end." What does that tell you???????

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

That was my last elders meeting with the C.O. before resigning, so it must have been in early 2006. I was totally disgusted by the letter and knew I would never abide by it if I had children approaching college age. It was written to scare elders/MS's into considering it a serious breech of confidence to send their kids to college, but it was vague enough to let them still send kids to college and not "promote" it from the platform or in conversations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit