"Mentally Diseased" are confirmed as offensive words of hate crime. Help needed, please.

by Amelia Ashton 122 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Devil_Fish
    Devil_Fish

Anony Mous,

You should sue for full custody of your two year old based on the fact that the JW's are a cult that preaches hate (of You), and that the JW's have been proven to activley sheld Pediofiles. Further more any one who willfully buy's into this cult should have a psyc evaluation.

Good luck to you.

D_F

• Devil_Fish
    Devil_Fish

First, they ignore you.

Then they laugh at you.

Then they attack you.

Then you win.

What stage are we at?

D_F

• JeffT
    JeffT

I haven't been in a KH since 1988 and don't have anything to lose. I've done some writing on the subject of JW's and hope to do more. If anybody wants some back up on this, I'll do what I can.

PM me.

• Spectre
    Spectre

"The 1st Amendment will protect Watchtower, in my opinion." And we have the 1st Amendment right to use their own words against them. Funny how that works.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Well done Amelia for being so pro-active! Im in the UK and will be following this thread with interest, to gage how the police respond. If favourably, Im sure I could do some damage here in Wales too!

Go girl!

• ekruks
    ekruks

D_F ....it's stage 3, because the WTBS constantly attacks via insults in the Watchtower, desperate to keep control of it's flock that it has kept naive.... it's like the communist Eastern European governments trying to keep the people down.... but the situation there was different - a few rebelled, and America supported them..... here, again a few JWs rebel, but America is neutral.... the JWs are a respected religion.

• cedars
    cedars

Amelia - well done on this, I think you're on to something. I've noticed that the police in the UK take "hate" crimes far more seriously since 9/11 from my own experience. They will take anything you have to say very seriously, especially if you have the article in print in front of them and explain that it has been discussed all over the world (obviously show them the front cover of the magazine to show that it is discussed at meetings etc). You can mention that there are 1,533 congregations up-and-down the UK including those that your friends and family were attending, and that this article will have been discussed at each and every meeting (this will impress upon them the national scope of your complaint).

Try not to make a big deal about the fact that you are on this forum, or anything that you have been advised on here (including my post). If you say things like "I've discussed this with some friends on an internet forum and they're just as outraged" I think you will lose a bit of credibility. You can simply say that you have other friends who are both former AND existing witnesses who you are in regular contact with, and who object strongly to the use of these words. You can mention that these would gladly assist in any potential investigation (I know I would, and I'm a UK citizen).

Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that the words "mentally diseased" are taken from the New Word Translation's interpretation of 1 Tim 6:4. It might be worthwhile having your bible open at this scripture when they call. You can show them that the context of the verse itself applies to anyone who doesn't believe in Jesus Christ, and that since you believe in Jesus Christ (assuming you do) those words very definitely do NOT apply to you, and you take exception to anyone who asserts that they do simply because you do not see eye-to-eye with Watchtower leadership. That aside, if you have any other bible translations in your home, it would be worthwhile looking up the same verse to show how "mentally diseased" is not how the verse is intended to read. This would help to discredit the NWT, and thereby the use of the phrase in the article. For example, the King James Version simply renders the same verse "He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words..." Saying that somebody "knows nothing" is far less offensive than saying that they are "mentally diseased", and the police officer will no doubt agree with this logic.

Blondie gave a very good analysis of how other translations compare on this verse, and I will try to find and copy it on here for you.

Finally, can you please keep us updated on whatever happens? Depending on how far the police take it, you may wish to consider launching a press campaign either in the local or national media. If you decide to do this, I would be more than happy to assist you in writing any press releases etc.

• cedars
    cedars

Found it! Blondie to the rescue, courtesy of Cedars...

1 Timothy 6:4

New International Version (NIV)

4 they are conceited and understand nothing. They have an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions

New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica

X

American Standard Version (ASV)

4 he is puffed up, knowing nothing, but doting about questionings and disputes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

American Standard Version (ASV)

Copyright © 1901 Public Domain

X

Amplified Bible (AMP)

4 He is puffed up with pride and stupefied with conceit, [although he is] woefully ignorant. He has a [ a ] morbid fondness for controversy and disputes and strife about words, which result in (produce) envy and jealousy, quarrels and dissension, abuse and insults and slander, and base suspicions,

Footnotes:
    1. 1 Timothy 6:4 Joseph Thayer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.
    Amplified Bible (AMP)

Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation

a ] X

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he [ has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,

Footnotes:
    1. 1 Timothy 6:4 Lit is sick about
    Cross references:
    1. 1 Timothy 6:4 : 1 Tim 3:6
    2. 1 Timothy 6:4 : 1 Tim 1:4
    3. 1 Timothy 6:4 : Acts 18:15; 2 Tim 2:14
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

X

New Living Translation (NLT)

4 Anyone who teaches something different is arrogant and lacks understanding. Such a person has an unhealthy desire to quibble over the meaning of words. This stirs up arguments ending in jealousy, division, slander, and evil suspicions.

New Living Translation (NLT)

Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Here are five other translations and the concept of being mentally diseased is not seen.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

well done amelia.

• Gladring
    Gladring

Great work. Will be interesting to see the fallout from this.

My concern here is that the words "mentally diseased" are quoted from the bible. It seems that you can say what you like if it's quoted from the good book. That's how church groups get away with billboards telling athiests they are going to hell. They don't say it themselves, they quote the bit of the bible that says it. Then it's a religious expression.

Whilst I would like to see this be successful, I can't help think that if the Westboro Baptist Church gets away with its campaigns then this might be protected speech too.

I'll watch with interest. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit