Society tells us to stop asking questions...

by cedars 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cedars
    cedars

I was just glancing at the back of the October 15th Watchtower and the Questions From Readers. The question under discussion is "What should I do when I have a question about something I read in the Bible or when I need advice about a personal problem?"

The article goes on to discuss how we should consult the Watch Tower Publications Index among the many 'tools' that have been provided by the Faithful and Discreet Slave whenever we have a question that is not directly discussed in the publications.

One statement really caught my eye, because it's the first time I've ever seen the Society actually dissuade people from writing in with questions. It reads as follows:

"Neither the branch office nor world headquarters is in a position to analyze and answer all such questions that have not been considered in our literature."

For decades the Society has supposedly had unlimited resources, facilities and manpower at its disposal around the world. Surely answering sincere questions from fellow worshippers that are not touched upon in the publications is part of their duty as God's channel of communication etc. Suddenly, they are no longer in a 'position' to fulfil their obligation to "feed" their brothers on a personal level when unusual questions arise. Is this an admission on their part that Jehovah is no longer blessing them with sufficient resources to fulfil their normal day-to-day administrative functions, or are they simply telling the worldwide brotherhood straight to shut up and stop asking impertinent questions, because if it isn't in the publications it shouldn't be worth asking about???

Thoughts please!

• designs
    designs

So glad we have the Bound volumns, how could we have navigated through life without the divine wisdom...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

One time I lost my bound volumes and I stared at the wall for 3 days.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

I remember when our family read that article; shock and anger!

We knew this was just another put off, because we've had dealings like this when calling questions in to NY, Bethel.

Every thing has to be written down and read by wrote; if there's any inconsistencies, people will write them again!

Never mind the fact that someone is in desperate need to fix a problem causing "tribulations"; just "pray, and tell your elders"!

Guess what? The Bible commands us to help one another, apparently God is talking to the flock.

Because no pretend GB, or elders are going to lift a pharisee finger!

Since WT already has too many people at HQ to worry about, and the local BOE have meetings to prepare for.

There's still a few good ones left in the org and they need to "get out of her soon my people!"

• blondie
    blondie

Based on the various response you could get depending on which unofficial jw you asked, the WTS is just covering its religious behind by making sure that everyone gets the same answer. From my earliest years in my family, I remember being told that the only "correct" answers are in the publications. If it is not in a WTS publication, it is someone's personal opinion even if they are a GB member. Even if it is said from the platform it is not official. Of course, we know that even if you find it in a publication just this year, it can be labeled old light.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bounds volumes are great for propping up a broken bed leg!

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

EVIDENTLY the "faithful and discreet slave" does not have enough food to feed the entire flock.

Some of us are on special diets and want to be fed the genuine truth.

Reopened Mind

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

When you hand over your mind to a dictatorship you will not be allowed to ask questions which is what happened in Natzi Germany .

The authoritarian will tell you what is good for you no questions asked.

I was told years ago that questioning the Society reflected my mind set and that I had been in the Truth long enough to know they were right I was told I should not be even thinking the Society was wrong.

I have been out of that mad organisation for a long time now thank goodness and looking back it would be laughable if it wasn't a serious matter.

Its all a fantasy after all something mad which was dreamt up by either plain stupid men or clever evil twisters likened to snake oil salesmen.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

What they meant to say was...

"The Faithful Slave and it's Governing Body are too busy selling real estate and siphoning money into off-shore accounts to answer all of your questions. Please stop bothering them... just send them your money."

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL Billy---Less service for the same money! What a ripoff. I'll have to take my business elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit