Interracial Marriage

by Quendi 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I knew someone who's uncle was a CO. She said he went to a white congregation in WV and was met with such racism he actually refused to serve it! I was a bit stunned because this isn't ancient history---I asked how they handled it. She said they sent a white CO there!

No, this org can't claim to be special nor can it claim to be true in any way. Often the world has better morals than it does. If they didn't claim to be so special and unique, then we could give them the benefit of "that's how society was" bs. But they are ABOVE society, so they don't get that out. They were just as hateful as everyone around them. They did not stand up and say "wait, society is wrong---we can't do this!" No---but the Quakers did!

NC

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Quendi, why the interest in interracial marriage? Thinking about jumping the fence? Catch a little jungle fever? I've been interacially married for 17 years. And whoever does'nt agree with it can kiss my white ass! peace paulnotsaul

• Quendi
    Quendi

Interracial marriage has been a long-standing interest of mine, paulnotsaul. I have known quite a few couples and asked them many questions. They were always happy to answer them. What interested me the most was how they coped with the different pressures they faced and what were the sources of those pressures. I thought it was interesting that both Witness and non-Witness couples gave me the same answers.

The organization has always presented itself as being above the fray of racial tensions, hatreds, and prejudices. I will be the first to admit that it has made much better progress along those lines than many others have. I was very pleased to see that friendships and marriages of all kinds existed, and that many of these were strong. I'm an Army brat, so ethnic diversity was nothing new for me. But I often encountered racism and wondered what was the organization's real history of dealing with this problem. I'm glad that you are in a strong and loving marriage and wish all the best for you and your family.

Since leaving the WTS I have learned that its outward appearances can often mask a very ugly reality. Raising the question of interracial marriage is another way I am using to investigate the backstory of the organization. I hope I can use that backstory to help others who are still trapped inside. The more all of us know about the WTS, the better informed our decisions about it will be. I am grateful for everything our friends here have shared on this question.

Quendi

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Quendi, Thanks man for your regards. Very informative thread for all parties involved. I found out alot of this info on my spiritual journey out of 'The Lie'. I never realized the ORG. was such bigots! Nice to hear everyones experiences. So sad the WTS couldn't even get this issue right. What a bunch of twisted clowns! Old light if brought up to present adminitration. The evolution of the 'truth'. PeaceAll paulnotsaul

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Frankly, if the org had come about a hundred years earlier, they would have supported slavery and they would have used the bible to do it. Perhaps they would have taught the R&F to be gentle with their slaves etc, but I know they would have supported it. They have never been better than the society they lived in---

NC

• paulnotsaul
    paulnotsaul

Testifiy NC, Testifiy. peace. paulnotsaul

• Crisis of Conscience
  • under the radar
    under the radar

NewChapter, you are absolutely right. The sad fact is that you cannot use the Bible to condemn slavery. It is provided for (allowed, albeit very lightly regulated) and even tacitly encouraged. Remember Paul telling Christian slaves to return to and be obedient to their masters?

You could correctly deduce that, strictly speaking from the Biblical standpoint, slavery is part of the normal and natural order of things. No god whose "Holy Book" teaches such things is worthy of respect, much less worship.

And don't get me started on "His" arrogant, egotistical, homocidal, genocidal personality... Hitler was a gentle, kind soul compared to "God."

• Jack C.
    Jack C.

"arrogant, egotistical, homocidal, genocidal personality... Hitler was a gentle, kind soul compared to "God.""

Mighty shallow thinking if all you go by is a man made book. Kinda like me going by your goofy picture on the left.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Here is another little gem from 1902.

What Watchtower was this little tibit from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit