JWs and the Family Unit - Calling Maze to defend assertions

by Retrovirus 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There's only one<sic> organization on the planet that puts into practice Jesus' words at Matthew 5:32. This acts as a strengthening aid to the marriage arrangement.

I would beg to differ. This is typical JW (and US nationalist) brainwashing techniques "we're the best as long as we don't look elsewhere". It does not help one iota according to many experts and statistics - religious people have more affairs than non-religious people. The only thing it does is repress the fact that people have affairs and make people hide it resulting in worse communication and worse break ups.

If you're looking at the unscriptural act of shunning for failing to live up to their biblical interpretation of marital law you could also look at Mormons, Anabaptists and about 15% of all Protestant denominations. Maybe you should really investigate other religions objectively (not through the Watchtower looking glass) before making such rash statements about them.

I also fail to see where people are "to get baptized when they're mature" when 1) 7 year olds getting baptized is advertised in even recent publications and 2) teenagers getting baptized is actively encouraged while teenage (and even young adult) marriages are not. I would think the two are on par with the amount of responsibility and weight they carry. I would say baptism as a JW is even more weighty than marriage since you can get out of a JW marriage with comparatively minor repercussions (trust me, I've done it). So my question stands, why do you (and by extension the organization) think it is ethically and morally responsible to allow such young ones to make such decisions at times they are heavily influenced and easily swayed. Some Mormon denominations will actually send their kids away to see what it is like outside the religious organization. By extension this also begs the question, why are there major repercussions for other family members (loss of status and responsibility in the org., private/public reproof) when one of their children chooses not to be a JW - does this not put undue pressure on the child and family?

Another question: Why does the WTBTS not publish a verse-by-verse exegesis of the Bible? There are several verses in Job and Psalm that have not a single explanation or reference in any WT publication and probably more (found that one out in my family bible study). I find personally that the 'provision of spiritual food' is severely lacking for people of higher intake capacity and intellect. I can read all the 'spiritual food' provided monthly in about 5 hours and I find it highly repetitive. Books and brochures provided at conventions are likewise highly repetitive and can be read through in a day or two tops. Where is the stuff that tickles our intellect and provides information on "all" scriptures (2 Tim. 3:16)?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Maze, have you lost your tongue/fingers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit