607 wrong using ONLY the bible (and some common sense)

by Witness My Fury 492 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I believe that the prophecy goes like this:

The Seventy Weeks

20 While I was speaking, and was praying and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God on behalf of the holy mountain of my God— 21 while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen before in a vision, came to me in swift flight at the time of the evening sacrifice. 22 He came c and said to me, “Daniel, I have now come out to give you wisdom and understanding. 23 At the beginning of your supplications a word went out, and I have come to declare it, for you are greatly beloved. So consider the word and understand the vision:

24 “Seventy weeks are decreed for your people and your holy city: to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin, and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to anoint a most holy place. d 25 Know therefore and understand: from the time that the word went out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the time of an anointed prince, there shall be seven weeks; and for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with streets and moat, but in a troubled time. 26 After the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off and shall have nothing, and the troops of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. Its e end shall come with a flood, and to the end there shall be war. Desolations are decreed. 27 He shall make a strong covenant with many for one week, and for half of the week he shall make sacrifice and offering cease; and in their place f shall be an abomination that desolates, until the decreed end is poured out upon the desolator.”

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Noooooooooo, dont mix up the 70 weeks and the 70 years FFS!

Jeremiah is the chap you want.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

So Jeremiah is the dude not Daniel who prophesied the over throw and destruction of Jerusalem and the captivity of some of its inhabitants.

Irregardless here we go again with that magical 7 number and it all starts with the 7 days of creation by Yahweh ....lucky 7 !

It was nice that God rested on the 7th day though, 6 days days of constant work would poop out just about anybody

even a God. They say that he just hung around the house in heaven, sat in front of the TV for most of the day, cracked a few beers

and as they say just mellowed out.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The 70 years prophecy is that the NATIONS that were conquered by the Babylonian kings would serve Babylon for 70 years.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Thanks for the straightening out, see what happens when you become an atheist you forget all of this stuff

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

At this, the said prophesy was pure Bullshit, since Cyrus only ruled over Babylon for 30 years followed by his son for only 8.

Cyrus the Great (Old Persian: ??????????, [ 2 ] IPA: [k?u?ru?] , Kuruš , [ 3 ] Persian: ????? ????, Kurosh-e-Bozorg) (c. 600 BC or 576 BC–530 BC [ 4 ] ), also known as Cyrus II or Cyrus of Persia, [ 5 ] was the founder of the Persian Empire under the Achaemenid dynasty. [ 6 ] Under his rule, the empire embraced all the previous civilized states of the ancient Near East, [ 6 ] expanded vastly and eventually conquered most of Southwest Asia and much of Central Asia, parts of Europe and Caucasus. From the Mediterranean sea and Hellespont in the west to the Indus River in the east, Cyrus the Great created the largest empire the world had yet seen. [ 7 ]

The reign of Cyrus the Great lasted between 29 and 31 years. Cyrus built his empire by conquering first the Median Empire, then the Lydian Empire and eventually the Neo-Babylonian Empire. Either before or after Babylon, he led an expedition into central Asia, which resulted in major campaigns that brought "into subjection every nation without exception." [ 8 ] Cyrus did not venture into Egypt, as he himself died in battle, fighting the Massagetae along the Syr Darya in December 530 BC. [ 9 ] [ 10 ] He was succeeded by his son, Cambyses II, who managed to add to the empire by conquering Egypt, Nubia, and Cyrenaica during his short rule.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Witness My Fury:

Eggnog, care to "explain" Daniel 2:1 then? Also where do you get 35 years for Nabonidus and belshazzar from exactly?

After Jehoiachin's rather short vassalage to Babylon ended, both he, along with his wives, his mother, his court officials and other "foremost men," were taken captive to Babylon, and Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, whose names Nebuchadnezzar changed to Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, respectively, who more likely than not were teenagers at the time, became Babylonian captives as well. (2 Kings 24:15; Daniel 1:7) Nabopolassar, Nebuchadnezzar's father, began to rule as king of Babylon in 646 BC, died in 625 BC, which year became his son's accession year.

In previous posts, I pointed out that when Jehoiakim's three-year vassalage for Babylon ended in 617 BC, this occurred during his 11th year as king of Judah, after which he was succeeded by his son, Jehoiachin, as vassal king for Babylon, but also in 617 BC, after "three months and ten days" (2 Chronicles 36:9), Jehoiachin's vassalage ended "in the eighth year" of Nebuchadnezzar's kingship, so Jehoiachin was taken into exile at Babylon. (2 Kings 24:12).

Nebuchadnezzar then made Jehoichin's uncle Mattaniah his vassal king, changing his name to Zedekiah. During the ninth year of Zedekiah's reign in 609 BC, Nebuchadnezzar's 16th regnal year, Zedekiah rebelled against Babylon and attempted to ally Judah with Egypt against Babylon, and Nebuchadnezzar was about to besiege Judah at that time, but withdrew over the report regarding Egypt. (Jeremiah 37:5). Two years later, however, in 607 BC, during Zedekiah's 11th year, Nebuchadnezzar's 18th regnal year, Jerusalem was besieged by Babylon for the third time, Jerusalem's wall was successfully breached, and Zedekiah's sons were all slaughtered as Zedekiah watched, after which he himself was blinded, bound and led prisoner to Babylon where he died. (2 Kings 25:1, 2, 8-10)

Following Zedekiah's being taken into exile at Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar went on to appoint Gedaliah as governor in Judah in the fifth lunar month of Ab, who was assassinated two months later by Judean military chiefs in the seventh lunar month of Tishri, causing the inhabitants of Judah to flee to Egypt along with Jeremiah and his secretary. It is then in this year -- 607 BC -- that Nebuzaradan, Nebuchadnezzar's chief of the bodyguard, went on to destroy Jerusalem and its temple.

While this occurred during the eighteenth year of the kingship of Nebuchadnezzar over Babylon, this was the first year of his exercise of world domination as a world power without interference from the kingdom of God, I feel it important to note here, @Witness My Fury, that dating the events mentioned in the Bible is only possible based on extant writings that reveal the drop dead dates when certain events occurred (e.g., 70 AD as the year when Jerusalem and its temple was destroyed has been well-documented).

Now Daniel 2:1 states that it was "in the second year of the kingship of Nebuchadnezzar," that is, in 606 BC, Nebuchadnezzar's 19th regnal year, the second year after Nebuchadnezzar's destruction of Jerusalem in 607 BC, that Nebuchadnezzar had a dream about a huge image of gold, silver, copper and iron mixed with clay that was pulverized by a stone, that perplexed him so much that he had been unable to sleep. Daniel's interpretation of this dream gave Nebuchadnezzar to understand that what it foretold was the march of world powers until they were overtaken by an indefinitely lasting kingdom set up by the God of heaven that would crush all of these kingdoms.

It would be unreasonable for anyone to think that Daniel didn't know that Nebuchadnezzar had been king of Babylon when he was a boy and he had to have known that Nabopolassar, Nebuchadnezzar's father, had been king of Babylon before Daniel was born. It would be just as unreasonable for anyone to think that when he wrote at Daniel 2:1 that it was "in the second year of the kingship of Nebuchadnezzar" that the king had a dream, that he had forgotten that Nebuchadnezzar had been king of Babylon for most of Daniel's life. So it is reasonable to conclude that Daniel had to have written as to the "second year" of Nebuchadnezzar's kingship from a certain perspective.

At Daniel 7:1, Daniel refers to another dream had in 556 BC "in the first year of Belshazzar the king of Babylon," who came to rule in Babylon along with his father Nabonidus, who had ruled as king in Babylon in 574 BC until appointing his son as coregent, and, at Daniel 8:1, he refers to yet another dream had by Belshazzar in 554 BC "in the third year of the kingship of Belshazzar the king."

What's important to understand is that Daniel recorded events from a different perspective as is the case when he makes reference to Nebuchadnezzar's "second year of kingship," viewing Nebuchadnezzar's kingship not from the standpoint of his rulership alongside the typical kingdom of God, but from the standpoint of his having become a world power in 607 BC with no king sitting representatively on God's throne in Jerusalem. An inscription contained in the Nabonidus Chronicle reads: "Babylon fell VII/16/17," indicating that the date of Babylon's fall occurred on Tishri 16, 539 BC. ("VII/14/17" meaning : Tishri, the seventh Hebrew month, the 14th day, in the 17th year of Nabonidus' reign, wherein Belshazzar, as coregent, had ruled in Babylon since 556 BC.)

@djeggnog wrote:

Nebuchadnezzar, 625/624 BC for 43 years

Evil-Merodach, from 581 BC for two years

Neriglissar, from 579 BC for four years

Labashi-Marduk, from 575 BC for three months

Nabonidus and Belshazzar, coregents, from 575/574 BC for 35 years

[Belshazzar (557/556 BC) for 17 years]

End of Babylonian Dynasty, 539 BC

@AnnOMaly:

Really? I would LOVE to see how you've established that length of reign. Can you show me?

No.

Sure. I don't get how you can redefine '3rd year of kingship' to '11th year of kingship' or '3rd year of vassalage.

What concern of this is to me? I cannot concern myself with what things you cannot do. One thing I definitely see you have a problem with is being wrong, for you simply cannot accept it when you have been proven wrong. I cannot leap over tall buildings in a single bound and pigs cannot fly. You're neither a pig nor a dog, but I doubt that you are able to bound or fly either.

It's totally absurd to then extract the conclusion that 'actually Daniel counted Jehoiakim as being king of Judah ONLY from when he became vassal to Babylon'!

And who are you now? I'm the only one in this thread that speaks authoritatively about the Babylonian Dynasty, while you using conjecture, speculation and gobbledygook, the latter being a word that has gotten much use in this thread, have sought to confound through obfuscation that which can be explained using the Bible, with a bit of math and some common sense (e.g., giving due consideration to things, like the Nabonidus Chronicle, to shore up dates that would otherwise be unreliable).

You are the kind of person, @AnnOMaly, that would read Jeremiah 25:1 ("the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, that is, the first year of Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon") and Daniel 1:1 ("the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim the king of Judah") and declare "Contradiction!" even though these two scriptures are not referring to the same time period at all, and then when it is shown to you that there is no contradiction, the desire on your part to be right drives you to soil yourself, so to speak, by declaring the explanation that you neither accept nor comprehend to be "Absurd."

I would have to watch my typos because you are both a faultfinder and petty, but as I'm quite comfortable in my skin with all of my shortcomings, should you find a typo in this post, I don't care. Not only have I found you to be disingenuous, @AnnOMaly, but I've found you to be dishonest, too. That comment you made in this thread regarding Nebuchadnezzar's not having any "nasty, bloody battle" with Egypt during his "4th year" that would correspond to Jehoiakim's "7th year after his 3 years of servitude," is an example of the kind of dishonesty of which you're capable for you didn't mind applying spin in this thread to prove or confuse @Witness My Fury, which I found to be reprehensible.

What you attempted to do here to @Witness My Fury in this thread is analogous to someone that agrees to breakdown a $100 bill (US) using 3-$20s, 1-$10, 1-$5 and 24-$1s for a stranger hoping the fact that you kept $1 would escape his notice. I'm looking forward to living in a world where the only real mistakes would be someone feasting on three or four sweet-tasting prunes and thinking that they're good to go for a three-hour trip only 20 minutes into the trip being forced by nature to make a pit stop, a world where some form of currency is in use, asking someone I'm meeting for the very first time at an amusement park in the new earth to breakdown a bill doesn't mean my having to count what is given in exchange before leaving the window.

Was J'kim's vassalage to Babylon the result of a friendly social visit on the part of Neb? ... Come on, eggie. Dazzle me with your spirit-guided insights.

I'm reminded of something that Jesus said to his detractors at Luke 16:31: If you aren't yet bedazzled by my "insights," neither will you be bedazzled were I to take the time to respond to this question either.

@Witness My Fury:

Yes I know this has been done to death, but there's lots of newbies here lately and I doubt many will trawl thru all the old threads on it so it's worth rehashing every now and again I think. Plus I happen to think this is the most fundamental point in disproving any authority the WTS claim once and for all.

I think it not a bad idea to write your posts in such as way as to inform the newbies, but I write my posts primarily to benefit the lurkers, who might be seeking a definitive answer to the question raised in controversy both here on JWM and elsewhere as to whether it is true that Jerusalem fell to Babylonian forces in the year 607 BC or, as some assert, in the year 587 BC.

@djeggnog

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Witness My Fury:

Yes I know this has been done to death, but there's lots of newbies here lately and I doubt many will trawl thru all the old threads on it so it's worth rehashing every now and again I think. Plus I happen to think this is the most fundamental point in disproving any authority the WTS claim once and for all.

I think it not a bad idea to write your posts in such as way as to inform the newbies, but I write my posts primarily to benefit the lurkers, who might be seeking a definitive answer to the question raised in controversy both here on JWM and elsewhere as to whether it is true that Jerusalem fell to Babylonian forces in the year 607 BC or, as some assert, in the year 587 BC. By our 'always being ready to make a defense of our hope,' in this way, we are 'sanctifying the Christ as Lord in our hearts.' (1 Peter 3:15)

Yes the NWT has several "adjustments" in translation to make it appear 607 is correct, in my own research into this I've noted them....and showing JWs "other" bibles is never a good way to show them anything as we are conditioned to believe the NWT is SUPERIOR.

Do you have any examples that you can provide to show where any of these "adjustments" to which you refer that have been made in the New World Translations of the Holy Scriptures has resulted in support for the doctrinal beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses that are not otherwise supported when using non-NWT Bible translations? I'd like to join such a thread, if you are willing to start it, @Witness My Fury, in which thread I trust that you will provide evidence of these "adjustments" that it has been alleged here would tend to affect one's comprehension of these prophecies one way or the other that we have been discussing in this thread, such as Jeremiah's, Daniel's and Zedekiah's prophecies.

@djeggnog

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

By our 'always being ready to make a defense of our hope,' in this way, we are 'sanctifying the Christ as Lord in our hearts.

No one becomes a true Christian by immersing themselves with commercialized lies from a corrupt Publishing House.

Taking note of such ones and separating oneself from these people is in fact " Sanctify the Christ and his name "

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

[djeggnog formerly] Nabonidus and Belshazzar, coregents, from 575/574 BC for 35 years

[Ann formerly] Really? I would LOVE to see how you've established that length of reign. Can you show me?

[djeggnog] No.

LOL. I thought not.

[Ann formerly] Sure. I don't get how you can redefine '3rd year of kingship' to '11th year of kingship' or '3rd year of vassalage.

[djeggnog] What concern of this is to me? I cannot concern myself with what things you cannot do. One thing I definitely see you have a problem with is being wrong, for you simply cannot accept it when you have been proven wrong. I cannot leap over tall buildings in a single bound and pigs cannot fly. You're neither a pig nor a dog, but I doubt that you are able to bound or fly either.

So you cannot satisfactorily defend your position and take out your frustrations on me for not accepting your 'spirit-guided' redefinition of Daniel's words. (Hmm, who does that remind me of ... ?)

[Ann formerly] It's totally absurd to then extract the conclusion that 'actually Daniel counted Jehoiakim as being king of Judah ONLY from when he became vassal to Babylon'!

[djeggnog] And who are you now? I'm the only one in this thread that speaks authoritatively about the Babylonian Dynasty, while you using conjecture, speculation and gobbledygook, the latter being a word that has gotten much use in this thread, have sought to confound through obfuscation that which can be explained using the Bible, with a bit of math and some common sense (e.g., giving due consideration to things, like the Nabonidus Chronicle, to shore up dates that would otherwise be unreliable).

Oh puleez. Get over yourself. Again, I see you have no rebuttal to my objection. It's also puzzling that you have the chutzpah to boast about your use of Babylonian sources when these demolish your dates!

You are the kind of person, @AnnOMaly, that would read Jeremiah 25:1 ("the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah, that is, the first year of Nebuchadrezzar the king of Babylon") and Daniel 1:1 ("the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim the king of Judah") and declare "Contradiction!" even though these two scriptures are not referring to the same time period at all, and then when it is shown to you that there is no contradiction, the desire on your part to be right drives you to soil yourself, so to speak, by declaring the explanation that you neither accept nor comprehend to be "Absurd."

And you've thrown in another ad hominem and stuck it to a straw man too! You're really on fire tonight.

I would have to watch my typos because you are both a faultfinder and petty, but as I'm quite comfortable in my skin with all of my shortcomings, should you find a typo in this post, I don't care. Not only have I found you to be disingenuous, @AnnOMaly, but I've found you to be dishonest, too. ...

Says the man who attributed WTS dates to the Encyclopedia Americana, produced irrelevant Scriptures as 'proof' of his baseless claims, makes knight-jump leaps of illogic and continued to make slanderous comments when asked not to ...

... That comment you made in this thread regarding Nebuchadnezzar's not having any "nasty, bloody battle" with Egypt during his "4th year" that would correspond to Jehoiakim's "7th year after his 3 years of servitude," is an example of the kind of dishonesty of which you're capable for you didn't mind applying spin in this thread to prove or confuse @Witness My Fury, which I found to be reprehensible.

... or when shown that he's shooting his mouth off like an idiot because he's failed to factor in the different reckoning systems used in the Bible.

[Ann formerly] Was J'kim's vassalage to Babylon the result of a friendly social visit on the part of Neb? ... Come on, eggie. Dazzle me with your spirit-guided insights.

[djeggnog] I'm reminded of something that Jesus said to his detractors at Luke 16:31: If you aren't yet bedazzled by my "insights," neither will you be bedazzled were I to take the time to respond to this question either.

ROFL! Talk about 'delusions of grandeur'! Is it not enough for you to claim the holy spirit's backing for your quirky eisegesis without suggesting you're a latter-day prophet as well?

So then, you cannot account for the circumstances leading to J'kim's vassalage to Babylon either.

Disappointing, eggie.

P.S. Regarding the 2 Ki. 24:1 question I asked: "Do you agree that 2 Ki. 24:1 does not tell us in which year Jehoiakim became vassal to Nebuchadnezzar? A simple yes or no will suffice this time." Shall I assume your refusal to answer means you agree that it's a 'yes'?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit