607 wrong using ONLY the bible (and some common sense)

by Witness My Fury 492 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Witness My Fury:

It is you who is the fool, the numb skull, the moron, the child, the mere student here. You claim to not understand my very simple post re Josephus, that would make you the fool. Or is it rather that you choose not to understand it, along with all the other evidence and problems presented against your precious 607 / 1914 date because of the horror that would result if you discover yourself to be in the wrong?

I never mentioned the year 1914 in anything I've stated here in this thread. As you read this thread, it is about 1914, but as I read this thread, it is about 607 BC and has nothing at all to do with 1914, even though in another context Jehovah's Witnesses do reckon the appointed times of the nations as beginning in 607 BC. Why do you mention this year, @WMF?

You need to approach the subject from a neutral position and go where the facts take you.

You first, @WMF. Read my reply to @AnnOMaly's post and let's see if you can take your own advice and "go where the facts take you."

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't berate anyone, neither do I engage in deflection or obfuscation, and this last bit would be like the pot calling the kettle black, wouldn't it, @AnnOMaly?

@AnnOMaly wrote:

LOL! It's a matter of permanent record now and it's sad that you persist in your foolishness.

What's a matter of permanent record?

@djeggnog wrote:

What scriptural evidence there is, you ignore, and I've provided much [proof] that Jehovah God is not the liar that you make him out to be in your posts.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Again, this thread shows the reverse is true.

How?

@djeggnog wrote:

Should you or anyone point out a mistake on my part -- a typo -- I am quick to acknowledge my mistake, but you make a grave mistake in marginalizing Jehovah, in rejecting his word and declaring it to be false. I can be forgiven my mistakes, but you are speaking against the holy spirit, @AnnOMaly. Who will forgive you? (Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29)

@AnnOMaly wrote:

More shameless lies and more examples of your penchant for berating people! You've been asked on more than one occasion to desist making those kinds of slurs about me. *sigh*

I am not berating anyone. I am speaking the truth and you don't like hearing the truth. I get it.

@AnnOMaly:

The reason you do not reply to most of my (and some other posters') messages, eggie, is because I/we challenge your claims and assertions, asking awkward questions about them, pressing you to provide evidence. You know that you haven't a leg to stand on, so when berating, deflection and obfuscation don't work, you like to ignore.

@djeggnog wrote:

Contrary to what you believe about me, I stand on two legs, and I am convinced that God is for me and against people like you. (Romans 8:31)

@AnnOMaly wrote:

"Let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall" (1 Cor. 10:12) - especially when that individual should be more than aware that Jehovah God hates "a false tongue" (Prov. 6:16-19).

Why would you be quoting Scripture to me? The Bible is sacred and you view God's word with contempt. You definitely have no respect for God's word.

@djeggnog wrote:

There are many like you, @AnnOMaly, both here on JWN and elsewhere, that would rather Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year (Jeremiah 52:29), or 19th year if his accession year were included (Jeremiah 52:12), to have begun some 20 years later in 587 BC than in 607 BC, the latter being the year when Jehovah's Witnesses believe Daniel's "seven times" (Daniel 4:25) began to be counted, but the motive for throwing out 607 BC and accepting 587 BC is clearly to subvert Bible truth. But history argues a different point of view that is consonant with the viewpoint of Jehovah's Witnesses, a viewpoint that people like you reject, @AnnOMaly.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

It's not a simple matter of preference. It's a matter of where the scriptural and historical evidence lead. Despite trying to bury readers here in your own mound of rhetoric, you cannot dodge the avalanche of evidence against Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year being 607 BCE.

What am I "dodging" exactly? I'm not dodging anything.

@djeggnog wrote:

In this thread, the controversy over the secular dates given to the kings that once ruled in the Babylonian Dynasty of kings not being "consonant" with King Nebuchadnezzar's reign beginning in 607 BC, who the Bible makes clear was in his 18th regnal year when the 70-year period of exile of the Jews began in Babylon has given rise to doubts in some as to the reliability of the Bible, which unbelief is ostensibly based on historical king-lists, like what Ptolemy's Canon says about these Babylonian rulers.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You are still making it something it's not. It isn't 'Bible versus secular chronology/history' but rather 'Bible and secular chronology/history versus WTS interpretation.'

No, it isn't. I've not once in this thread used any WTS publication, but it is you, @WMF, @Farkel, and others here that are arguing with me as if I were arguing WTS interpretation (whatever that is!). I have primarily been using the Bible and making references to secular history. You may want to argue with one of Jehovah's Witnesses about our interpretation of Scripture, but I don't care to do that; it's unprofitable, especially if one is anti-God.

The Bible's testimony on this historical period harmonizes with the established chronology far better than it does with the WTS' chronology.

So what? Maybe you don't want this brought to your attention, but I've not been discussing WTS' chronology with you.

In addition, your own 'kings list' (specifically the years you say Nabonidus and Belshazzar ruled) cannot be substantiated either biblically or archaeologically.

So what? I'm telling you what I believe and I suppose you are telling me what you believe. In this message I'm going to be providing a little more about Josephus that I know you are not going to accept, but, again, I'm just telling you here what I believe. I'm not here to tell you what to believe. Frankly, I don't care what you believe, because you see nothing wrong with calling God a liar.

Along with Witness My Fury, I cannot understand why you appealed to someone as unreliable as Josephus is with chronology.

Wait! Hold on! In this very message, you yourself cite and quote from Against Apion I, xxi, a chapter that I did not mention in any of my posts, and you do so to make the ridiculous point that the 50 year "state of obscurity" to which Josephus refers in this chapter is proof that

the temple was desolate for 50 years

, which is not a point of contention, but your appeal to "unreliable" Josephus here is to "prove" that Jerusalem and the land of Judah did not lie desolate for 70 years. Why the double-standard? Why is it ok when you do it and not ok when I do it?

Then when it is pointed out to you why he cannot be relied upon, you say you didn't need his help, babble about how you somehow thought I should have used him and deride WMF for being confused! You really are flailing about here (like the dying and enraged Pris in 'Blade Runner').

I don't know what you mean and I don't care. I do know that you did not point out to me, and neither did @WMF, why one cannot rely upon what things Josephus wrote. Actually, I believe the contrary to be the case, but neither of you proved that Josephus' writings were unreliable. I'm still waiting to see this "proof" that you evidently must have in your possession since you are going on about it here as if you have such. Where is it?

@Witness My Fury wrote:

He gives these reigns: (names given as in his writings)

Nebuchadnezzar 43

Evil Merodach 18

Neglissar 40

Labossordacus 9 months

Baltasar (called Naboandelus by the Babylonians) 17 years.

Now that = approx 100 years (118 - 18) from destruction of Jerusalem in Nebs 18th year, to fall of Babylon in 539. That clearly is WRONG and does not support 607 any better than it does 587.

@djeggnog wrote:

So what is all of this supposed to mean? The issue isn't of what Josephus' king-lists might consist. The issue is what the man writes in Antiquities of the Jews (Book X, Chapter ix) about Judah and Jerusalem being "a desert for seventy years," and what he writes in Against Apion (Book I, Chapter xix) about their being an "interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus" when Jerusalem had lied desolate. You seem more than a bit confused over the point I was making here regarding the historical writings of a Pharisee as to what the Jews believed as to the length of Judah's desolation, but there is absolutely nothing in what Josephus wrote that contradicts the point he makes about seventy years. You can dismiss it, ignore it, act like he didn't write it, but the "seventy years" that Josephus wrote about isn't going to go away.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Tsk, tsk, eggie! You really are shameless. The writings of this Pharisee also attested that the temple was desolate for 50 years and this agreed with their Jewish histories.

Against Apion, I, xxi: "These accounts agree with the true histories in our books; for in them it is written that Nebuchadnezzar, in the eighteenth year of his reign, laid our temple desolate, and so it lay in that state of obscurity for fifty years; but that in the second year of the reign of Cyrus its foundations were laid, and it was finished again in the second year of Darius."

Tsk, tsk, backacha! Either you suffer from a learning disability (also called "dyslexia"), or you thought you were being clever by quoting Against Apion I, xxi, which I did not cite, instead of Against Apion, I, xix, which I did cite.

Let me ask you this: How stupid do you think me to be? Maybe I'll just say here for the record that not only can I read, but I can comprehend what things I read. This particular sentence that you quoted in your message is taken out of the context in which Josephus was using in Against Apion when referring to "these accounts," which accounts Josephus says "agree with the true histories in our books." You read this sentence without given any consideration as to what historical "accounts" to which Josephus refers that he says are in agreement "with the true histories of our books." The sentence you quoted begins: "These accounts agree with the true histories in our books...." You clearly didn't understand what you were reading, @AnnOMaly.

In Against Apion, I, xix, that is to say, in Book I, Chapter 19, Josephus introduces Berosus as a fellow historian whose writings attest to Noah as being the progenitor of the Jewish race, wit the words: "I will now relate what hath been written concerning us in the Chaldean histories, which records have a great agreement with our books in oilier things also. Berosus shall be witness to what I say: he was by birth a Chaldean, well known by the learned...." Josephus explains that Berosus' historical accounts "at length comes down to Nabolassar, who was king of Babylon, and of the Chaldeans."

You should note right off that "these accounts" were written by Berossus, the Babylonian priest, the one to whom Josephus refers as "Berosus." I should point out that the "king of Babylon" at the beginning of this chapter 19 is Nabopolassar to whom Josephus refers as "Nabolasser," and that his reference to Nabopolassar's son is to Nebuchadnezzar to whom he refers as "Nabuchodonosor." Josephus goes on to relate how Berossus' accounts as to the kings of Babylon attests to how Nabopolassar had sent Nebuchadnezzar to subdue both the Egyptians "and our land," and upon his doing so, how Nebuchadnezzar had razed Solomon's temple "and removed our people entirely out of their own country, and transferred them to Babylon." Josephus momentarily stops quoting Berossus and adds after the semi-colon how "it so happened that our city was desolate during the interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus king of Persia," exactly what I quoted in my post.

Then Josephus explains that what he relates doesn't accord with his own historical accounts of the kings of Babylon, but with Berossus' own historical accounts, as made clear by the following words:

"I will set down Berosus's own accounts, which are these: 'When Nabolassar, father of Nabuchodonosor, heard that the governor whom he had set over Egypt, and over the parts of Celesyria and Phoenicia, had revolted from him, he was not able to bear it any longer; but committing certain parts of his army to his son Nabuchodonosor, who was then but young, he sent him against the rebel: Nabuchodonosor joined battle with him, and conquered him, and reduced the country under his dominion again. Now it so fell out that his father Nabolassar fell into a distemper at this time, and died in the city of Babylon, after he had reigned twenty-nine years."

Note that because Josephus is recounting the points of agreement Berossus' historical accounts as to the reigns of the kings of Babylon have with Jewish history, so he doesn't point out the discrepancy between Berossus' assignment of 29 years to Nabopolassar's reign and the 21 years that are assigned to his reign in Ptolemy's Canon. Josephus then goes on to relate in Against Apion, I, xx, that is to say, in Book I, Chapter 20, how Berossus "adds ... in his third book: "Nabuchodonosor, after he had begun to build the forementioned wall, fell sick, and departed this life, when he had reigned forty-three years; whereupon his son Evilmerodach obtained the kingdom."

Then in Against Apion, I, xxi, that is to say, in Book I, Chapter 21 -- a chapter you thought you understood, but didn't -- Josephus again points out that Berossus' historical accounts are in agreement "with the true histories in our books," and then after another semi-colon states that in Berossus' accounts "it is written that Nebuchadnezzar, in the eighteenth year of his reign, laid our temple desolate, and so it lay in that state of obscurity for fifty years, and after yet another semi-colon states concerning Zerubbabel's temple "that in the second year of the reign of Cyrus its foundations were laid, and it was finished again in the second year of Darius."

It is at this point that Josephus goes on to add, as "an indisputable and undeniable attestation to the antiquity of our nation," mention of the 54-year history of the Phoenicians until Cyrus became the king of Persia in 539 BC, to provide further support for "the true histories in our books" beginning with the 13 years of Nebuchadnezzar's siege of Tyre, which occurred "in the days of Ithobal," Tyre's king. In the records of the Phoenicians, "we have this enumeration of the times of their several kings" in Tyre, Josephus explains. Now Josephus does not provide the length of Ithobal's reign, but using Phoenician history, we can approximate when his reign ended since we know that "Cyrus became king of Persia" in 539 BC. This 54-year period is the 50 year "state of obscurity" to which Josephus refers, and your reading of Josephus here in Chapter 21 in Book I of Against Apion is utterly ridiculous! Again, you read the words, "fifty years," and concluded that you understood what Josephus was saying, but didn't.

Merbalus' brother, Hirom, reigned for 20 years (559 BC - 539 BC); Merbalus reigned for four years (563 BC - 559 BC); Balatorus reigned for one year (564 BC - 563 BC); Mitgonus and Gerastratus ruled as judges in Tyre for six years (570 BC - 564 BC); Abbar ruled as a judge for three months and Chelbes ruled as a judge for ten months (571 BC - 570 BC); Ecnibalus ruled for two months as a judge and Baal reigned as king for 10 years (581 BC - 571 BC). This means that if Nebuchadnezzar had "besieged Tyre for thirteen years in the days of Ithobal," that Ithobal's reign began before Nebuchadnezzar's siege on Tyre began in 607 BC and that Ithobal continued to be king 13 year later in 594 BC. We know that Baal ascended to throne of Tyre in 581 BC which is about the same time when Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended, and when Nebuchadnezzar's son, Evil-Merodach, ascended to the throne of Babylon in 581 BC. There's your timeline, @AnnOMaly, based on the Phoenician historical accounts as recounted by Josephus.

Now if by 581 BC Nebuchadnezzar's reigned totalled 43 years, then this means that his first regnal year was 624 BC, and in 625 BC when his father, Nabopolassar, died, this would have been Nebuchadnezzar's accession year. Josephus' point in relating all of this in Against Apion, Book I, Chapters 19-21, is to make the solitary point that "the records of the Chaldeans and Tyrians agree with our writings about this temple" in Jerusalem having laid "desolate during the interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus king of Persia."

We don't need 1st century AD Josephus or 2nd century AD Ptolemy to establish the correct time-line for the 7th and 6th centuries BC. There are thousands of ancient records contemporaneous with the neo-Assyrian, neo-Babylonian and Persian eras that do this instead. You should know that if you'd read GTR.

I don't believe Josephus referred to Ptolomy at all in what he wrote in Against Apion. He referred to Berossus and to "the records of the Chaldeans and Tyrians." As it happens, the records of Tyre help establish a timeline that lends support to the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses as to the destruction of Jerusalem and the desolation of Judah occurring in the year 607 BC.

@djeggnog

Below is the text from Against Apion, Book I, Chapters 19-21:

19. I will now relate what hath been written concerning us in the Chaldean histories, which records have a great agreement with our books in oilier things also. Berosus shall be witness to what I say: he was by birth a Chaldean, well known by the learned, on account of his publication of the Chaldean books of astronomy and philosophy among the Greeks. This Berosus, therefore, following the most ancient records of that nation, gives us a history of the deluge of waters that then happened, and of the destruction of mankind thereby, and agrees with Moses's narration thereof. He also gives us an account of that ark wherein Noah, the origin of our race, was preserved, when it was brought to the highest part of the Armenian mountains; after which he gives us a catalogue of the posterity of Noah, and adds the years of their chronology, and at length comes down to Nabolassar, who was king of Babylon, and of the Chaldeans. And when he was relating the acts of this king, he describes to us how he sent his son Nabuchodonosor against Egypt, and against our land, with a great army, upon his being informed that they had revolted from him; and how, by that means, he subdued them all, and set our temple that was at Jerusalem on fire; nay, and removed our people entirely out of their own country, and transferred them to Babylon; when it so happened that our city was desolate during the interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus king of Persia. He then says, "That this Babylonian king conquered Egypt, and Syria, and Phoenicia, and Arabia, and exceeded in his exploits all that had reigned before him in Babylon and Chaldea." A little after which Berosus subjoins what follows in his History of Ancient Times. I will set down Berosus's own accounts, which are these: "When Nabolassar, father of Nabuchodonosor, heard that the governor whom he had set over Egypt, and over the parts of Celesyria and Phoenicia, had revolted from him, he was not able to bear it any longer; but committing certain parts of his army to his son Nabuchodonosor, who was then but young, he sent him against the rebel: Nabuchodonosor joined battle with him, and conquered him, and reduced the country under his dominion again. Now it so fell out that his father Nabolassar fell into a distemper at this time, and died in the city of Babylon, after he had reigned twenty-nine years. But as he understood, in a little time, that his father Nabolassar was dead, he set the affairs of Egypt and the other countries in order, and committed the captives he had taken from the Jews, and Phoenicians, and Syrians, and of the nations belonging to Egypt, to some of his friends, that they might conduct that part of the forces that had on heavy armor, with the rest of his baggage, to Babylonia; while he went in haste, having but a few with him, over the desert to Babylon; whither, when he was come, he found the public affairs had been managed by the Chaldeans, and that the principal person among them had preserved the kingdom for him. Accordingly, he now entirely obtained all his father's dominions. He then came, and ordered the captives to be placed as colonies in the most proper places of Babylonia; but for himself, he adorned the temple of Belus, and the other temples, after an elegant manner, out of the spoils he had taken in this war. He also rebuilt the old city, and added another to it on the outside, and so far restored Babylon, that none who should besiege it afterwards might have it in their power to divert the river, so as to facilitate an entrance into it; and this he did by building three walls about the inner city, and three about the outer. Some of these walls he built of burnt brick and bitumen, and some of brick only. So when he had thus fortified the city with walls, after an excellent manner, and had adorned the gates magnificently, he added a new palace to that which his father had dwelt in, and this close by it also, and that more eminent in its height, and in its great splendor. It would perhaps require too long a narration, if any one were to describe it. However, as prodigiously large and as magnificent as it was, it was finished in fifteen days. Now in this palace he erected very high walks, supported by stone pillars, and by planting what was called a pensile paradise, and replenishing it with all sorts of trees, he rendered the prospect an exact resemblance of a mountainous country. This he did to please his queen, because she had been brought up in Media, and was fond of a mountainous situation."

20. This is what Berosus relates concerning the forementioned king, as he relates many other things about him also in the third book of his Chaldean History; wherein he complains of the Grecian writers for supposing, without any foundation, that Babylon was built by Semiramis, (14) queen of Assyria, and for her false pretense to those wonderful edifices thereto buildings at Babylon, do no way contradict those ancient and relating, as if they were her own workmanship; as indeed in these affairs the Chaldean History cannot but be the most credible. Moreover, we meet with a confirmation of what Berosus says in the archives of the Phoenicians, concerning this king Nabuchodonosor, that he conquered all Syria and Phoenicia; in which case Philostratus agrees with the others in that history which he composed, where he mentions the siege of Tyre; as does Megasthenes also, in the fourth book of his Indian History, wherein he pretends to prove that the forementioned king of the Babylonians was superior to Hercules in strength and the greatness of his exploits; for he says that he conquered a great part of Libya, and conquered Iberia also. Now as to what I have said before about the temple at Jerusalem, that it was fought against by the Babylonians, and burnt by them, but was opened again when Cyrus had taken the kingdom of Asia, shall now be demonstrated from what Berosus adds further upon that head; for thus he says in his third book: "Nabuchodonosor, after he had begun to build the forementioned wall, fell sick, and departed this life, when he had reigned forty-three years; whereupon his son Evilmerodach obtained the kingdom. He governed public affairs after an illegal and impure manner, and had a plot laid against him by Neriglissoor, his sister's husband, and was slain by him when he had reigned but two years. After he was slain, Neriglissoor, the person who plotted against him, succeeded him in the kingdom, and reigned four years; his son Laborosoarchod obtained the kingdom, though he was but a child, and kept it nine mouths; but by reason of the very ill temper and ill practices he exhibited to the world, a plot was laid against him also by his friends, and he was tormented to death. After his death, the conspirators got together, and by common consent put the crown upon the head of Nabonnedus, a man of Babylon, and one who belonged to that insurrection. In his reign it was that the walls of the city of Babylon were curiously built with burnt brick and bitumen; but when he was come to the seventeenth year of his reign, Cyrus came out of Persia with a great army; and having already conquered all the rest of Asia, he came hastily to Babylonia. When Nabonnedus perceived he was coming to attack him, he met him with his forces, and joining battle with him was beaten, and fled away with a few of his troops with him, and was shut up within the city Borsippus. Hereupon Cyrus took Babylon, and gave order that the outer walls of the city should be demolished, because the city had proved very troublesome to him, and cost him a great deal of pains to take it. He then marched away to Borsippus, to besiege Nabonnedus; but as Nabonnedus did not sustain the siege, but delivered himself into his hands, he was at first kindly used by Cyrus, who gave him Carmania, as a place for him to inhabit in, but sent him out of Babylonia. Accordingly Nabonnedus spent the rest of his time in that country, and there died."

21. These accounts agree with the true histories in our books; for in them it is written that Nebuchadnezzar, in the eighteenth year of his reign, laid our temple desolate, and so it lay in that state of obscurity for fifty years; but that in the second year of the reign of Cyrus its foundations were laid, and it was finished again in the second year of Darius. I will now add the records of the Phoenicians; for it will not be superfluous to give the reader demonstrations more than enough on this occasion. In them we have this enumeration of the times of their several kings: "Nabuchodonosor besieged Tyre for thirteen years in the days of Ithobal, their king; after him reigned Baal, ten years; after him were judges appointed, who judged the people: Ecnibalus, the son of Baslacus, two months; Chelbes, the son of Abdeus, ten months; Abbar, the high priest, three months; Mitgonus and Gerastratus, the sons of Abdelemus, were judges six years; after whom Balatorus reigned one year; after his death they sent and fetched Merbalus from Babylon, who reigned four years; after his death they sent for his brother Hirom, who reigned twenty years. Under his reign Cyrus became king of Persia." So that the whole interval is fifty-four years besides three months; for in the seventh year of the reign of Nebuchadnezzar he began to besiege Tyre, and Cyrus the Persian took the kingdom in the fourteenth year of Hirom. So that the records of the Chaldeans and Tyrians agree with our writings about this temple; and the testimonies here produced are an indisputable and undeniable attestation to the antiquity of our nation. And I suppose that what I have already said may be sufficient to such as are not very contentious.

• Dutch-scientist
    Dutch-scientist

Our history and Bible tell us that Tyre was under a 13 year siege from Nebu. ( 586–573BC)

Ithobaal III or Ethbaal II was the king of Tyre during this time frame 591-573 BC

We Know that Baal II when on the throne in 573 - 564BC and we know that Carthage whent independent in 574BC.

So Egg your above list make either no sense.

History and bible tell us a strong chronical during the discused period. Its al well documented.

Then the WTS makes with no proof and twisted interpretations some statement where no one can find support for these statements.

We all know the WTS is wrong for more then 100%, but that is no problem they are still human after all.

We know that the Bible and history are in line during this period.

Conclusion:

The WTS has a problem with their errors. They still make WRONG statements. All the time they are Cherry picking events in history and twist them to make a wrong calculated foundation. And there they built there belief system on.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

djeggnog:

I see you have dishonestly added to the portions I quoted from you and in one instance altered the order of my replies to make it appear that I'm answering something else. Bad eggnog! Does your chicanery know no bounds?

LOL. Let me give you another reminder. You dodged:

- a discussion about the Levitical tie-in with 2 Chron. 36:21 along with Jeremiah's original prophecy which shows that God did not declare the land had to lay desolate to pay off its sabbaths for a period of 70 years;

- properly addressing the contention that there continued to be "inhabitants of these devastated places" after Jerusalem was destroyed and after Gedaliah's assassination (Ezek. 33:21-24). Instead you used Scriptures that had no bearing on this discrepancy and dismissed the argument out of hand as without merit. UPDATE: Eventually, after several pages, you were forced to agree that there were indeed inhabitants of the land after Jerusalem was destroyed and even after Gedaliah was assassinated;

- making any apology for being fraudulent in attributing WTS dates to an encyclopedia regarding information on the neo-Babylonian dynasty;

- directly acknowledging that 2 Ki. 24:1 does nothing to prove it was in his 8th year that Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal;

- accounting for how Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal 3 years before a first siege;

- taking Dan. 1:1, 2 at its word, preferring instead to make those words mean something entirely different;

- backing up your claim that Nabonidus and Belshazzar were coregents from 575/574 BC for 35 years (or 33 years according to 'newer light' from you) and producing archaeological sources for this which you said existed;

- offering a resolution to the discrepancy at Jer. 29:10 (NWT rendering), namely that contextually, the exiles whom Jeremiah was addressing were the ones taken 10 years before Jerusalem's destruction. Using the WT time-line and the NWT Bible, that means these exiles were going to be "at Babylon" 80 years, not 70.

I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to more than adequately refresh your memory.

I've not once in this thread used any WTS publication

You may not have quoted any WTS publication (other than in response to someone who did), but you have certainly used WTS publications and you admit as much earlier in the thread (post #389, p. 7). There are only two places you could have got your BC dates - WTS publications and, as far as your Nabonidus and Belshazzar regnal dates go, your own imagination.

I have primarily been using the Bible and making references to secular history.

And neither source helps your arguments because typically, a) you've been using them dishonestly and b) you keep dodging the problems that arise from your WTS-tainted understanding of them.

[Ann formerly] The Bible's testimony on this historical period harmonizes with the established chronology far better than it does with the WTS' chronology.

[djeggnog] So what? Maybe you don't want this brought to your attention, but I've not been discussing WTS' chronology with you.

Well, OK, it's been a hybrid mix of WTS' and your own chronologies.

[Ann formerly] In addition, your own 'kings list' (specifically the years you say Nabonidus and Belshazzar ruled) cannot be substantiated either biblically or archaeologically.

[djeggnog] So what? I'm telling you what I believe and I suppose you are telling me what you believe. In this message I'm going to be providing a little more about Josephus that I know you are not going to accept, but, again, I'm just telling you here what I believe. I'm not here to tell you what to believe. Frankly, I don't care what you believe, because you see nothing wrong with calling God a liar.

Ahh, you think you are God, do you? Because I'm calling you out on your deceptions and baseless claims, you think I'm accusing God? Man, you're further gone than I thought. And I don't think our Lars will be too happy about being out-ranked either ;-)

I know it's 'pearls before swine' in your case but FWIW - a small point about Josephus, Berossus and Nabopolassar's "twenty-nine years" of reign. This happens to be a manuscript error which William Whiston translates as is. This (Greek) manuscript dates from the 12th century AD. Other (better) manuscripts have "twenty-one." Eusebius of Caesarea who lived 3rd/4th century AD also quotes from Against Apion and has "twenty-one" (Praeparatio Evangelica, 9, xl). You might want to check that out before tub-thumping about it next time.

Concerning the rest of your section on Josephus, what he said, what he didn't say, what he really meant, which needs to be explained by a super-genius like yourself, blah, blah - all your thrashing around shows that Witness My Fury's and my comments about your cherry-picking from a contradictory source hit home LOLOL. I also notice you omitted to discuss the discrepancy where Nebuchadnezzar was said to have besieged Tyre in his 7th year. Yet magically, all this testimony still agrees with the WTS' time-line!

I don't believe Josephus referred to Ptolomy at all in what he wrote in Against Apion.

Don't be obtuse. Nobody claimed he did. Ptolemy would have only been about 10 years old when Josephus died, you klutz.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Dutch-scientist:

Our history and Bible tell us that Tyre was under a 13 year siege from Nebu. (586–573BC)

Ithobaal III or Ethbaal II was the king of Tyre during this time frame 591-573 BC

According to Josephus, we know that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre for 13 years when Ithobal (or your Ithoball III) was king of Tyre, but the Bible doesn't tell us the year when this siege occurred nor when Ithobal ruled as king.

History and bible tell us a strong [chronology] during the [discussed] period. Its all well documented.

Then the WTS makes with no proof and twisted interpretations some statement where no one can find support for these statements.

We all know the WTS is wrong for more then 100%, but that is no problem they are still human after all.

The WTS has a problem with their errors. They still make WRONG statements. All the time they are Cherry picking events in history and twist them to make a wrong calculated foundation. And there they built [their] belief system on.

I've been discussing here Josephus' king-list with respect to the kings of Tyre, not the problems you might have with how Jehovah's Witnesses might interpret the Bible with respect to the destruction of Jerusalem and the desolation of Judah. If you want to argue that Jehovah's Witnesses 'cherry pick' historical events "and twist them," that's fine, but none of what you say here deals with what Josephus writes. Nothing that I present here regarding this Phoenician king-list can be found in any publication produced by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, so if you believe there to be something wrong with the following, then point that out to me.

I really don't care to hear you bitch and moan over how horrible the WTS is for "cherry picking events in history and twist them to make a wrong calculated foundation." Every human being on Planet Earth has a "belief system" of sorts: You have yours and I have mine. The question is, on what are your beliefs regarding the kings of Tyre based? What I'm interested in now is in learning how you answer the following:

In Against Apion, I, xxi, Josephus points out that Berossus' historical accounts are in agreement "with the true histories in our books," and that during the 18th year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, the temple in Jerusalem and all Judah "lay in that state of obscurity for fifty years" after which the foundations of Zerubabbel's temple were laid "in the second year of the reign of Cyrus ." It is to this "obscure" 50-year backdrop (actually 54 years) of the Phoenicians until Cyrus become the king of Persia that Josephus provides an "enumeration of the times" of the kings of Tyre.

Given how "well documented" it is that "Cyrus became king of Persia" in 539 BC, we can make an examination of what Josephus writes and approximate when the reign of Tyre's king Ithobal ended since Josephus indicates that it was "in the days of Ithobal" when Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre. So it is that by our giving consideration now to these Phoenician historical accounts as recounted by Josephus in Against Apion, I, xxi, we can deduce the following:

Merbalus' brother, Hirom, reigned for 20 years (559 BC - 539 BC); Merbalus reigned for four years (563 BC - 559 BC); Balatorus reigned for one year (564 BC - 563 BC); Mitgonus and Gerastratus ruled as judges in Tyre for six years (570 BC - 564 BC); Abbar ruled as a judge for three months and Chelbes ruled as a judge for ten months (571 BC - 570 BC); Ecnibalus ruled for two months as a judge and Baal reigned as king for 10 years (581 BC - 571 BC). This means that if Nebuchadnezzar had "besieged Tyre for thirteen years in the days of Ithobal," that Ithobal's reign began before Nebuchadnezzar's siege on Tyre began in 607 BC and that Ithobal continued to be king 13 years later in 594 BC. We know that Baal ascended to throne of Tyre in 581 BC which is about the same time when Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended, and when Nebuchadnezzar's son, Evil-Merodach, ascended to the throne of Babylon in 581 BC. If by 581 BC Nebuchadnezzar's reigned totalled 43 years, then this means that his first regnal year was 624 BC, and in 625 BC when his father, Nabopolassar, died, this would have been Nebuchadnezzar's accession year.

Well? What say you, @Dutch-scientist?

@djeggnog

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

@AnnOMaly wrote:

- a discussion about the Levitical tie-in with 2 Chron. 36:21 along with Jeremiah's original prophecy which shows that God did not declare the land had to lay desolate to pay off its sabbaths for a period of 70 years;

I don't see the "tie-in." Next. Convince me otherwise.

- properly addressing the contention that there continued to be "inhabitants of these devastated places" after Jerusalem was destroyed and after Gedaliah's assassination (Ezek. 33:21-24).

There is nothing evident in Scripture about anyone inhabiting the land of Judah during the period of time it lay desolate. Prove this.

- making any apology for being fraudulent in attributing WTS dates to an encyclopedia regarding information on the neo-Babylonian dynasty;

I didn't fraudulently attribute any "WTS dates" to any encyclopedia. I have not been discussing WTS publications with you here. I don't care to do this with you so I have no apology to offer you. Go ask someone else to give you an undeserved apology. You should not expect me to give you one, @AnnOMaly.

- directly acknowledging that 2 Ki. 24:1 does nothing to prove it was in his 8th year that Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal;

What? "Became his servant" means what to you exactly, @AnnOMaly?

- accounting for how Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal 3 years before a first siege;

Jehoiakim became Nebuchadnezzar's vassal for 11 years. In this very thread I point out that Jehoiakim's vassalage to Babylon began during his eighth year in 620 BC, and that it ended during his eleventh year in 617 BC.

- taking Dan. 1:1, 2 at its word, preferring instead to make those words mean something entirely different;

I understand perfectly what Daniel 1:1, 2, says. The question is, why don't you?

- backing up your claim that Nabonidus and Belshazzar were coregents from 575/574 BC for 35 years (or 33 years according to 'newer light' from you) and producing archaeological sources for this which you said existed;

I don't need to back up my claim. I cannot know the details as to when any king reigned in Babylon except by deducing when they ruled based on whatever evidence is available, and there isn't a lot of it. Mostly it is by inference that I have deduced that Nabanidus became king of Babylon in 575/574 BC and that his son, Belshazzar, was appointed coregent of Babylon during his father's third year in 572 BC. You are free to believe what you want to believe.

- offering a resolution to the discrepancy at Jer. 29:10 (NWT rendering), namely that contextually, the exiles whom Jeremiah was addressing were the ones taken 10 years before Jerusalem's destruction. Using the WT time-line and the NWT Bible, that means these exiles were going to be "at Babylon" 80 years, not 70.

That would your reading of Jeremiah 29:10, @AnnOMaly. My reading of Jeremiah 29:10 is that the land of Judah would lie desolate "until the land had paid off its sabbaths." (2 Chronicles 36:21) You want this scripture to refer to the Jewish exiles, but I believe it refers to the necessity for the land of Judah to pay off its sabbaths. Your focus is on the people when the prophecy focuses on the land. My advice to you: Change your focus.

I'm sure there are more, but these are enough to more than adequately refresh your memory.

I didn't dodge anything of these things you mention here, so, again, I ask you: What exactly have I "dodged" here? You've pointed out not a single thing that I've dodged. I've responded to all of the above issues you list above again, and if you aren't satisfied with my responses to them, then that would be your problem, would it not?.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You are still making it something it's not. It isn't 'Bible versus secular chronology/history' but rather 'Bible and secular chronology/history versus WTS interpretation.'

@djeggnog wrote:

No, it isn't. I've not once in this thread used any WTS publication, but it is you, @WMF, @Farkel, and others here that are arguing with me as if I were arguing WTS interpretation (whatever that is!). I have primarily been using the Bible and making references to secular history. You may want to argue with one of Jehovah's Witnesses about our interpretation of Scripture, but I don't care to do that; it's unprofitable, especially if one is anti-God.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You may not have quoted any WTS publication (other than in response to someone who did), but you have certainly used WTS publications and you admit as much earlier in the thread (post #389, p. 7). There are only two places you could have got your BC dates - WTS publications and, as far as your Nabonidus and Belshazzar regnal dates go, your own imagination.

So why do you bring any of this up? If you and I should agree that the World Trade Center towers were targeted by religious fanatics back on September 11, 2001, you may have learned this by watching tv whereas I may have learned this by reading the newspaper. What possible difference does it make how it was that we both came to know what occurred on September 11, 2001? The date of my birth doesn't belong solely to me, for to other folks my birthday belongs to them as well. If you agree that I haven't "quoted any WTS publication in this thread (other than in response to someone who did)," then, like I said, this thread cannot be about "Bible and secular chronology/history versus WTS interpretation," can it? Why do you argue for the sake of arguing, @AnnOMaly?

And neither source helps your arguments because typically, a) you've been using them dishonestly and b) you keep dodging the problems that arise from your WTS-tainted understanding of them.

What WTS-taint is there in my understanding? You have a beef with the WTS, and you're entitled to beef with anyone you wish, but what does anything that Jehovah's Witnesses might teach or what Baptists might teach or Catholics might teach or Mormons might teach have to do with this discussion if we are using the Bible here and secular history? You keep making references in your posts to "the WTS," but I don't care to discuss the WTS with you since you clearly have a beef with "the WTS."

[Ann formerly] The Bible's testimony on this historical period harmonizes with the established chronology far better than it does with the WTS' chronology.

[djeggnog] So what? Maybe you don't want this brought to your attention, but I've not been discussing WTS' chronology with you.

Well, OK, it's been a hybrid mix of WTS' and your own chronologies.

[Ann formerly] In addition, your own 'kings list' (specifically the years you say Nabonidus and Belshazzar ruled) cannot be substantiated either biblically or archaeologically.

[djeggnog] So what? I'm telling you what I believe and I suppose you are telling me what you believe. In this message I'm going to be providing a little more about Josephus that I know you are not going to accept, but, again, I'm just telling you here what I believe. I'm not here to tell you what to believe. Frankly, I don't care what you believe, because you see nothing wrong with calling God a liar.

Ahh, you think you are God, do you? Because I'm calling you out on your deceptions and baseless claims, you think I'm accusing God? Man, you're further gone than I thought. And I don't think our Lars will be too happy about being out-ranked either ;-)

Yes, that's it! I think I'm God.

I know it's 'pearls before swine' in your case but FWIW - a small point about Josephus, Berossus and Nabopolassar's "twenty-nine years" of reign. This happens to be a manuscript error which William Whiston translates as is.

I never mentioned William Whiston. If you are relying upon his translation of Josephus' works, more power to you; I'm not. Just so you know, I'm just going to have to ignore the rest of this nonsense you've spouted here. I just cannot take any of what you said seriously.

Concerning the rest of your section on Josephus, what he said, what he didn't say, what he really meant, which needs to be explained by a super-genius like yourself, blah, blah - all your thrashing around shows that Witness My Fury's and my comments about your cherry-picking from a contradictory source hit home LOLOL. I also notice you omitted to discuss the discrepancy where Nebuchadnezzar was said to have besieged Tyre in his 7th year. Yet magically, all this testimony still agrees with the WTS' time-line!

You know what? I don't know why Josephus' perspective was when he was writing Against Apion, and you know what else? Neither do you! I do know that this response of yours is rather light: I expected to get a response from you to the following, but instead what I got from you is a dodge:

Let me ask you this: How stupid do you think me to be? Maybe I'll just say here for the record that not only can I read, but I can comprehend what things I read. This particular sentence that you quoted in your message is taken out of the context in which Josephus was using in Against Apion when referring to "these accounts," which accounts Josephus says "agree with the true histories in our books."

You read this sentence without given any consideration as to what historical "accounts" to which Josephus refers that he says are in agreement "with the true histories of our books." The sentence you quoted began with the words, "These accounts agree with the true histories in our books...," but you had absolutely no idea what these words actually meant, did you? Like I said, you thought that you were being clever when you quoted from Against Apion I, xxi, which I did not cite, instead of Against Apion, I, xix, which I did cite to establish the non-fact that Josephus contradicted himself in Antiquities of the Jews, X, ix, about Judah and Jerusalem being "a desert for seventy years," and in Against Apion, I, xix, about there being an "interval of seventy years, until the days of Cyrus" when Jerusalem had lied desolate.

I pointed out to you that Josephus didn't contradict himself, but that in your quoting from Against Apion I, xxi, it became manifest to me that you didn't understand what you were reading and only thought what you read to have been a contradiction. Like I said, you seem to have been more than a bit confused over the point I was making here regarding the historical writings of a Pharisee as to what the Jews believed as to the length of Judah's desolation, but there is absolutely nothing in what Josephus wrote that contradicts the point he makes about seventy years. You can dismiss it, ignore it, act like he didn't write it, but the "seventy years" that Josephus wrote about isn't going to go away. And what you remarked here --

It's worth pointing out that he also says 50 years captivity instead of 70 years in the last instance this likely being as a correction. So to use him as a support for 607 is to be selectively quoting him.

-- didn't help your case at all. There has been no "correction." Please don't make excuses for your ignorance, @AnnOMaly. Josephus isn't talking about any "50 years of captivity." Josephus refers to the "obscure" 50-year backdrop (that you thought to have been a contradiction!) that he provides in Against Apion, I, xxi, as an "enumeration of the times" of the kings of Tyre, as it relates to when "Cyrus became king of Persia," which we know to have been in 539 BC.

I want you to approximate, just as I did, @AnnOMaly, when it was you believe according to Josephus the reign of Tyre's king Ithobal ended in view of the fact that Josephus indicates that it was "in the days of Ithobal" that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre:

Merbalus' brother, Hirom, reigned for 20 years (559 BC - 539 BC); Merbalus reigned for four years (563 BC - 559 BC); Balatorus reigned for one year (564 BC - 563 BC); Mitgonus and Gerastratus ruled as judges in Tyre for six years (570 BC - 564 BC); Abbar ruled as a judge for three months and Chelbes ruled as a judge for ten months (571 BC - 570 BC); Ecnibalus ruled for two months as a judge and Baal reigned as king for 10 years (581 BC - 571 BC). This means that if Nebuchadnezzar had "besieged Tyre for thirteen years in the days of Ithobal," that Ithobal's reign began before Nebuchadnezzar's siege on Tyre began in 607 BC and that Ithobal continued to be king 13 years later in 594 BC. We are able to deduce that Baal ascended to the throne of Tyre in 581 BC, which is about the same time when Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended, and when Nebuchadnezzar's son, Evil-Merodach, ascended to the throne of Babylon in 581 BC. If by 581 BC Nebuchadnezzar's reigned totalled 43 years, then this means that his first regnal year was 624 BC, and in 625 BC when his father, Nabopolassar, died, this would have been Nebuchadnezzar's accession year.

Please don't dodge my question again. In your opinion, do the dates I give here make sense? If not, please explain why.

@djeggnog

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

djeggnog:

I don't see the "tie-in." Next. Convince me otherwise.

Please refer to the posts toward the beginning of this thread and do your homework.

There is nothing evident in Scripture about anyone inhabiting the land of Judah during the period of time it lay desolate. Prove this.

It was proved. You agreed, remember? When jonathan dough said:

"You are very much mistaken in this regard also, and Anne is absolutely correct. There were in fact inhabitants in all that land that the JWs argue was 100 percent uninhabited."

You assented,

"Ok." (post #401, p. 12)

I didn't fraudulently attribute any "WTS dates" to any encyclopedia.

You have a short memory. No matter - your fraud is documented on this thread.

[Ann formerly] You dodged: ... directly acknowledging that 2 Ki. 24:1 does nothing to prove it was in his 8th year that Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal;

[djeggnog:] What? "Became his servant" means what to you exactly, @AnnOMaly?

You still can't do it, can you?

[Ann formerly] You dodged: ... - accounting for how Jehoiakim became Neb's vassal 3 years before a first siege;

[djeggnog] Jehoiakim became Nebuchadnezzar's vassal for 11 years. In this very thread I point out that Jehoiakim's vassalage to Babylon began during his eighth year in 620 BC, and that it ended during his eleventh year in 617 BC.

Still doesn't answer my question.

I understand perfectly what Daniel 1:1, 2, says.

Then shame on you for twisting it to mean something entirely different.

[Re: Nab's and Bel's regnal years] I don't need to back up my claim.

Sure you do. You urged us to,

"Listen to what I say and then verify what things I have said to you because no one can do the second unless they have first listened." (post #392, p. 8)

I asked before, how can anyone verify what you've said if you won't produce the needed evidence for it?

I cannot know the details as to when any king reigned in Babylon except by deducing when they ruled based on whatever evidence is available, and there isn't a lot of it.

Utter tripe. There are MOUNTAINS of it, man, and they all falsify your dates.

Mostly it is by inference that I have deduced that Nabanidus became king of Babylon in 575/574 BC and that his son, Belshazzar, was appointed coregent of Babylon during his father's third year in 572 BC.

That confirms what I said about you pulling those particular dates from your imagination.

That would your reading of Jeremiah 29:10, @AnnOMaly. My reading of Jeremiah 29:10 is that the land of Judah would lie desolate "until the land had paid off its sabbaths." (2 Chronicles 36:21) You want this scripture to refer to the Jewish exiles, but I believe it refers to the necessity for the land of Judah to pay off its sabbaths. Your focus is on the people when the prophecy focuses on the land. My advice to you: Change your focus.

It would help if you focussed on the correct phrase - "at Babylon." I see you do not want to engage with this point - again. Another dodge.

What WTS-taint is there in my understanding?

LOL. Silly rabbit. You KNOW that nearly all your defense of 607 BC is textbook WTS 'reasoning.'

I never mentioned William Whiston. If you are relying upon his translation of Josephus' works, more power to you; I'm not.

You really are an idiot.

And what you remarked here --

It's worth pointing out that he also says 50 years captivity instead of 70 years in the last instance this likely being as a correction. So to use him as a support for 607 is to be selectively quoting him.

-- didn't help your case at all.

Umm, those were Witness My Fury's comments.

Josephus isn't talking about any "50 years of captivity."

Stop constructing straw men to knock down, will ya?

Please don't dodge my question again.

Again??? Which one was that? The only one in your Josephus and Tyrian king list section was, "Let me ask you this: How stupid do you think me to be?" and I believe I have already answered that.

In your opinion, do the dates I give here make sense?

You want my opinion??? I was under the impression you couldn't give a rat's behind what I thought LOL.

Josephus doesn't tell us how long Ithobaal III ruled, but his rule apparently ended with the end of Neb's 13 year siege of Tyre. The whole point of Josephus listing the Tyrian kings is to synchronize the Temple's 50 year desolation and "state of obscurity" with the same period in Tyrian history. From the beginning of the siege of Tyre, which happened a year or two after Jerusalem's destruction, to the end of Hiram III's 20 year reign there are some 55 years and 3 months in total (despite Josephus' math). If Cyrus "took over the [presumably Babylonian] kingdom in the fourteenth year of Hirom" then we should deduct 6 years from the 55 year total which brings us to 49 years. A very close match.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Ann kudos to you for showing up this idiot and your excellent input and for continuing to engage with this fool.

I read his latest jibber jabber and it's the same old same old, dodge, change the subject, avoid, twist the point, twist the scripture, insult, avoid, confuse, accuse, change the subject rinse and repeat...

There's no reasoning with this fool, so i'm not wasting a second of my life bothering until he shows some common sense which so far he has stubbornly refused to do so due to his great ego and pride rather than any actual FACTs to back up his claims.

Trying to delink 1914 from 607 in post 409 above is just insulting the intelligence of everyone reading his drivel. This is his MO and i'm done with it. He's nothing more than a troll.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Anne - Spot on target!!!

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Witness My Fury:

Trying to delink 1914 from 607 in post 409 above is just insulting the intelligence of everyone reading his drivel.

I don't believe one can "delink" of separate the year 1914 AD from 607 BC, @WMF, but I have been focused on this thread on establishing the validity of the year 607 BC when Jeremiah indicated that the land of Judah would lie desolate "until the land had paid off its sabbaths." (2 Chronicles 36:21) A few posts to this thread have been made referring to 1914, but I view any reference to 1914 as being off-topic since the focus on this thread has been on 607 BC.

This is his MO and i'm done with it. He's nothing more than a troll.

Ok.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

- properly addressing the contention that there continued to be "inhabitants of these devastated places" after Jerusalem was destroyed and after Gedaliah's assassination (Ezek. 33:21-24).

@djeggnog wrote:

@AnnOMaly wrote:

It was proved. You agreed, remember? When jonathan dough said:

"You are very much mistaken in this regard also, and Anne is absolutely correct. There were in fact inhabitants in all that land that the JWs argue was 100 percent uninhabited."

You assented,

"Ok." (post #401, p. 12)

What is wrong with you? When I say "Ok," I'm not assenting to anything nor conceding any point that I might have been trying to make. "Ok" can mean "You and I will have to agree to disagree," or it can mean "I don't want to argue with you." Just because @Jonathan Dough wrongly concluded that I had conceded what his point was regarding where there were any inhabitants in Judah during the 70 years that Josephus attested the land of Judah lay desolate -- just as Jehovah decreed by Jeremiah it would be! -- doesn't mean that you have to jump to this same conclusion as he as to the meaning of "Ok" in that context or in this context. In the case of @Jonathan Dough, my "Ok" meant "I don't want to argue with you."

@AnnOMaly wrote:

@djeggnog wrote:

I didn't fraudulently attribute any "WTS dates" to any encyclopedia. I have not been discussing WTS publications with you here. I don't care to do this with you so I have no apology to offer you. Go ask someone else to give you an undeserved apology. You should not expect me to give you one, @AnnOMaly.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You have a short memory. No matter - your fraud is documented on this thread.

First of all, there has been no fraud. What do you mean by "fraud"? You're sharing with me here your opinion, no? What exactly do you regard as fraudulent as far as this exchange of our opinions here, @AnnOMaly? (I'm curious is all.)

Secondly, as to my having a "short memory," here's what I remember about our earlier "sparring session":

@Witness My Fury wrote:

The total reign length of neb and co until cyrus is 66 years if i remember right, thats without factoring Jerusalems destruction in his 18/19th year.

@djeggnog wrote:

According to the Encyclopedia Americana, Nebuchadnezzar (Nebuchadrezzar) was the king of Babylon from 625/624 BC for 43 years, and was succeeded by his oldest son, Evil-Merodach, as king of Babylon from 581 BC for two years. Evil-Merodach was assassinated by Neriglissar, his brother-in-law, who succeeded him as king of Babylon from 579 BC for four years, when he died as his son Labashi-Marduk succeeded him as king of Babylon in 575 BC for three months when he was assassinated. Nabonidus, who, like Neriglissar, was one of Nebuchadnezzar's sons-in-law, became the king of Babylon after Labashi-Marduk's assassination in 575/574 BC for 35 years along with his son Belshazzar, the crown prince, who as coregent in Babylon was also viewed as king, while Nabonidus primarily lived in Arabia. [Cyrus'] overthrow of Babylon in 539 BC is what brought the Babylonian Dynasty to an end.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

What a whopper! The Encyclopedia Americana does NOT give those regnal dates. Bad eggnog!

@djeggnog wrote:

The above-quoted statement was based on not just Volume 2 of the Encyclopedia Americana (regarding Nabonidus), but I omitted to mention Josephus, who provided the basis for some of my comments (such as those regarding Evil-merodach), and there are many more sources that I omitted to name, since I only wanted to list the kings of Babylon that reigned during the period when the land of Judah was paying off its sabbaths to fulfill 70 years. You are free to believe me or to not believe me.

You have here accused me of fraud, @AnnOMaly, but where's the "fraud" in any of this? I don't see any fraud. Why you would now be associating yourself with WMF's remarks, when they have nothing at all to do with what we're discussing here is interesting, but I don't accept the dates deduced by Josephus or encyclopedias, for they will typically be recitations of dates that the world has accepted. Being "no part of the world" (John 15:19), I don't feel compelled to accept what the world might regard as being authentic. I know how to think for myself, which is not to suggest that you don't think for yourself, because I don't know that you even give the thought to these matters that you ought to be giving to them, @AnnOMaly. You are who you are, and I'm ok with you being you.

You are free to accept these dates as authentic, for that would be your choice, but my loyalty belongs to the Christ, so because I do not esteem what the world esteems, the world isn't as fond of me as it might be of you, @AnnOMaly. What I do see though is a lot of dodging of my questions from you. I don't tell anyone what to belief; I tell folks what I believe and my reasons on which my beliefs are based.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

@djeggnog wrote:

What? "Became his servant" means what to you exactly, @AnnOMaly?

@djeggnog wrote:

Jehoiakim became Nebuchadnezzar's vassal for [three] years. In this very thread I point out that Jehoiakim's vassalage to Babylon began during his eighth year in 620 BC, and that it ended during his eleventh year in 617 BC.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Still doesn't answer my question.

You evidently don't like my answer, but this is my response to it.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

I know it's 'pearls before swine' in your case but FWIW - a small point about Josephus, Berossus and Nabopolassar's "twenty-nine years" of reign. This happens to be a manuscript error which William Whiston translates as is.

@djeggnog wrote:

I never mentioned William Whiston. If you are relying upon his translation of Josephus' works, more power to you; I'm not. Just so you know, I'm just going to have to ignore the rest of this nonsense you've spouted here. I just cannot take any of what you said seriously.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You really are an idiot.

Ok, but it begs the question: What makes you think that because you are relying upon Whiston's translation of Josephus' works that Josephus didn't write "twenty-nine years"? On what basis do you regard "twenty-nine years" as being an error? Is it because it's inconvenient to your premise or understanding as to the length of Nabopolassar's reign or what? I know you don't want to give me honest answers to my questions, but try answering this one honestly, @AnnOMaly. Come on; you could do this if you really wanted to do so.

@djeggnog wrote:

And what you remarked here --

(Witness My Fury:)

-- didn't help your case at all.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Umm, those were Witness My Fury's comments.

Oh, suddenly, you wish to disassociate yourself with WMF's remarks now? As I only just mentioned above in this very post, you didn't seem to mind associating yourself with other remarks she made. Why this one?

@djeggnog wrote:

Josephus isn't talking about any "50 years of captivity."

@AnnOMaly:

Stop constructing straw men to knock down, will ya?

This is not a strawman, but your answer is non-responsive, which I'd also characterize as a dodge. Do you believe Josephus was referring to "50 years of captivity"? Yes or no? If you answer is no, then why did you say this in the first place, @AnnOMaly? Were you thinking yourself to be clever at the time? (I don't think your making the reference to have been a clever move on your part.)

@djeggnog wrote:

Please don't dodge my question again.

@AnnOMaly wrote:

Again??? Which one was that? The only one in your Josephus and Tyrian king list section was, "Let me ask you this: How stupid do you think me to be?" and I believe I have already answered that.

Yes, again. You don't want to answer my questions, and, of course, you know that you don't have to do so, which is why you continue to dodge them. You ask, "Which one was that?" but you know which ones you answer and which you don't answer. In short, I'm referring to those you dodge; you know which ones you answer and which ones you don't answer.

@djeggnog wrote:

In your opinion, do the dates I give here make sense?

@AnnOMaly wrote:

You want my opinion??? I was under the impression you couldn't give a rat's behind what I thought LOL.

I don't want to make the truth any harder on you than it needs to be, @AnnOMaly. If you do not wish to respond with your opinion, then dodge; I can see you're good at it. It's clear to me that truth is not your forté, but, still, I want you to approximate, just as I did, when it was you believe according to Josephus the reign of Tyre's king Ithobal ended in view of the fact that Josephus indicates that it was "in the days of Ithobal" that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre. I want your opinion as to the veracity of the dates in the following paragraph, which I am quoting yet again from my previous message:

"Merbalus' brother, Hirom, reigned for 20 years (559 BC - 539 BC); Merbalus reigned for four years (563 BC - 559 BC); Balatorus reigned for one year (564 BC - 563 BC); Mitgonus and Gerastratus ruled as judges in Tyre for six years (570 BC - 564 BC); Abbar ruled as a judge for three months and Chelbes ruled as a judge for ten months (571 BC - 570 BC); Ecnibalus ruled for two months as a judge and Baal reigned as king for 10 years (581 BC - 571 BC). This means that if Nebuchadnezzar had "besieged Tyre for thirteen years in the days of Ithobal," that Ithobal's reign began before Nebuchadnezzar's siege on Tyre began in 607 BC and that Ithobal continued to be king 13 years later in 594 BC. We are able to deduce that Baal ascended to the throne of Tyre in 581 BC, which is about the same time when Nebuchadnezzar's reign ended, and when Nebuchadnezzar's son, Evil-Merodach, ascended to the throne of Babylon in 581 BC. If by 581 BC Nebuchadnezzar's reigned totalled 43 years, then this means that his first regnal year was 624 BC, and in 625 BC when his father, Nabopolassar, died, this would have been Nebuchadnezzar's accession year."

What do you think? I'm asking you what you think, which I'll regard as being your opinion. Do these dates make any sense to you?

@djeggnog

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

djeggnog:

When I say "Ok," I'm not assenting to anything nor conceding any point that I might have been trying to make. "Ok" can mean "You and I will have to agree to disagree," or it can mean "I don't want to argue with you."

Ahh. 'Ok' doesn't really mean what common usage and dictionaries say it means but has other definitions known only to you.

Thanks for re-posting the exchange we had regarding you fraudulently attributing WTS dates to the Encyclopedia Americana. This has saved readers some effort as well as provided amusement seeing you in "Deny everything, Baldrick" mode.

Ok, ...

Now, how am I meant to understand your 'Ok' here? Can you clarify?

... but it begs the question: What makes you think that because you are relying upon Whiston's translation of Josephus' works that Josephus didn't write "twenty-nine years"? On what basis do you regard "twenty-nine years" as being an error? Is it because it's inconvenient to your premise or understanding as to the length of Nabopolassar's reign or what? I know you don't want to give me honest answers to my questions, but try answering this one honestly, @AnnOMaly. Come on; you could do this if you really wanted to do so.

Please refer to my post #1856. Honestly, a goldfish has a better memory than you have.

Yes, again. You don't want to answer my questions, and, of course, you know that you don't have to do so, which is why you continue to dodge them. You ask, "Which one was that?" but you know which ones you answer and which you don't answer. In short, I'm referring to those you dodge; you know which ones you answer and which ones you don't answer.

You asked me ONE question regarding Josephus and the Tyrian king list in your post #409 and that was "How stupid do you think me to be?" If you're not abundantly clear on my answer to that one, let me make it absolutely crystal: Immensely. Got it now?

On your post #411, there were several rhetorical questions that didn't require an answer and one question specifically about Josephus and the Tyrian king list, namely, "In your opinion, do the dates I give here make sense?" By my subsequent response (in post #1857), it should have been clear to you what my opinion was and why I couldn't agree with your dates.

Let's expand on this a little further. Your instruction was this:

"I want you to approximate, just as I did, @AnnOMaly, when it was you believe according to Josephus the reign of Tyre's king Ithobal ended in view of the fact that Josephus indicates that it was "in the days of Ithobal" that Nebuchadnezzar besieged Tyre"

I stayed within the parameters you set down - that I should approximate the time Ithobaal's reign ended "according to Josephus." On the other hand, you used BC dates, which naturally Josephus did not use, and because you're using the wrong dates, it means you have to extend Ithobaal's reign beyond the end of the 13 year siege so that he reigns an extra 13 years, which Josephus didn't mention or factor in with his calculation. The siege ended, according to you in 594 BC, but Ithobaal's successor, Baal, ascended the throne in 581 BC --> 594 - 581 = 13.

NEITHER THE BC DATES NOR THE LENGTH OF ITHOBAAL'S REIGN NOR AN EXTRA 13 YEARS ADDED ON AFTER THE SIEGE ENDED CAN BE EXTRAPOLATED FROM JOSEPHUS.

Ergo, your dates do not make sense in view of the above reasons. Got it now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit