When did jehovah's witnesses become "the truth"?

by Hobo Ken 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

What's the best explanation?

Always since Russell founded them?

Chosen in a specific year by Jesus?

They are currently "the truth" because they are the closest to 1st century?

Thoughts people.

My blog article on the subject When did jw's become "the truth"

• Hobo Ken
  • Hobo Ken
  • ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I think it was when they channeled the New World Translation. Jehovah needed to update the Bible after Satan messed with it so much over the centuries.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

....and for those looking for the blog article, it can be found here.

Excerpt:

Jehovah's Witnesses have the "truth" right?

Now any witness will tell you they believe they are the true religion on earth right now....

But is that based upon their current beliefs and standing with God?

Or have they perhaps always been God's chosen ones since C . T. Russell founded them?

Or as Franz believed attained such a lofty title at a specific time?

One of the above must be what they believe.

In my opinion the answer to these questions lies in a long term strategy by Governing Body 2.0 to re-shape or abandon doctrines and overhaul the public/religious image of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

In the days of men like Fred Franz and his ilk they totally believed in their own press and thus felt they were in a position of having “special insight”. Fred Franz was merely following in the footsteps of "judge" Rutherford and his predecessor Charles Russell, the religion's founder in his mind-set.

Franz believed they were "chosen" by Jesus himself during an "invisible" visit to earth to inspect the world's religions around the year 1919 a.d.

Now how does that above statement sound ? Would a "householder" in the 21century be likely to buy into that during a visit from a Jehovah's Witness at their door?
    Remember ultimately they are a publishing corporation with a product to "sell" whether that be books, donations to the cause or joining the religion. Products have to be saleable and attractive to prospective buyers.

So the previous "product" sold. The end is coming! The people flooded in and so did the money......
    Unfortunately the product had passed it's sell-by date in the shape of the combined "insights" of Russell, Rutherford and Franz when they turned out to be poorly judged guesswork and idle speculation at best.

• Hobo Ken
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They've never been 'the truth' any more than any other religion that has used 'the truth' as a noun to describe their particular set of doctrines.

They probably just borrowed the term, like they did with most of their doctrines, but I don't know when that happened, or when it was first used as a noun by the bOrg or it's members. It's been around longer than I have and I'm no spring chicken.

• Honesty
    Honesty

When did Jehovah's Witnesses become "the truth"?

NEVER

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has applied that term THE TRUTH to themselves since Russell's time.

Some here might be thinking of the phrase "present truth" which did change with the advent of the NWT.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hobo Ken:

I don't know the answer to that question. After I found out the religion's real story on various internet sites and learned about their dirt, scandals, hidden history, etc., I did not think they ever had the "truth"and I never refer to it as the "truth" as I feel the term imparts a virtue to them that I do not agree they ever had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit