Jehovah's Witnesses & Higher Education

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I believe that JWs demonize higher education so much, that it makes them look like weirdos!

You and your family are penalized if someone goes to college!

When I tell any "worldly" (aka "normal" person) that Witnesess view higher education with disdain and ridicule, I always get the same response:

No one can understand why they will even remove a father who is a fine example to the congregation as an elder or a ministerial servant because he WANTS his child to better him or herself . IT'S CRAZYYY!

I think this issue is worse in a public relations area than their not accepting blood transfusions. It just makes no sense.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Serioiusly, Min. No Minesterial Servant no more, just 'cause I no wan't my chilren to werk in a Burger King the rest of dey' life?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

They haven't been consistent over the years, so JWs have been able to circumvent the GB because you can cherry-pick the advise you want to take.

With the last elders school hammering it hard, I'm waiting for something in print that really says "Thou shalt not go to college"

I dunno if they will ever have the balls to go that far, probably just keep hammering away through CO talks and assembly parts.

• minimus
    minimus

If you allow a family member or sanction the child's decision to go to school, you're out!

• blondie
    blondie

In this area if your non-jw father orders/insists you go to college, you must do so and not disobey your father.....seen it happen many times, hiding behind this. I have seen jw women hide behind the "authority" of their non-jw husbands.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Sad. How does anyone in today's world even have the chance to make a life for themselves with out at the very least, going to a technical or trade school of some kind. The unskilled and uneducated haven't got a way out for caring for themselves or a family. I'm a little miffed when I'm reminded of these things. I thought seeking out higer education was wrong as far back as the late 70's. Knowing the world would never last that long. Then the 8o's.....90's....whoa, where did the time....

• minimus
    minimus

Colleges are the breeding grounds for unbelief and independence.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    If you allow a family member or sanction the child's decision to go to school, you're out!

Not necessarily, it depends on the elder body. The "counsel" that was given is "your responsibility may come into question". So if you have a body that is more lax then they can defend their non action and justify it said "may".

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The June 15, 2011 Watchtower hits higher education again but there is nothing really new there. Same rationale they've used for around the last decade.

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

Information control is a common characteristic of cult-like groups. Critical thinking skills and knowledge in general are a threat to the WT, therefore they have been discouraged for decades.

Where I live most JW children do go to college for either a bachelor's or associate's degree. However, I have yet to know about someone who has left the organization because of their education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit