HEAR YE HEAR YE: DID STEVE UNTHANK'S LEGAL ACTION CAUSE MORE THAN A RIPPLE?

by steve2 10 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

What i meant steve is that we all sit behind the safety of our computers and winge about the WT but as soon as Unthank has a real world go at them he gets ridiculed by those that should at least be supportive.

Yes, I can see what you mean: It must seem as if I am whinging about him because of his willingness to take on the WT so I should clarify: Good on him for having the strength of his convictions to stand up by name and take out legal proceedings against the WT. Yes, he has balls! But so does the street corner preacher who hectors the huge lunchtime crowd with his message of doom and gloom; so does the straight-as-an-arrow JW who verbally bullies his work mates about how the JWs are the "only ones" who preach the truth. What they each have in common, however, is a singular lack of proportion propelled by huge egos: The message they promulgate matters above all else; they become obsessed to the point where media lose interest because the last thing the media want is another religious nutter who defines the whole world in terms of how bad either everyone else is or a specific religious group is. Politicians hate them because these single issue believers deluge the hapless politician with screeds of religious drivel. I could stomach Steve Unthank if he confined his diatribe to legal matters and I would wish him speedy success. But he goes right over the top and plants the Lord Almight smack in the middle of his weirdly worded edict. This is where I part company with him big time. I have such admiration for calm and measured discussion of the JWs and is why Ray Franz had such a huge positive impact on me. He was such a balanced man who had a fair sense of proportion. He didn't indulge any religious fantasies that he was on a mission to expose the Watchtower Society. If Mr Unthank stripped his diatribe of the hugely off-putting religious rant, I would quickly be a big fan. I criticise him the same way I criticise the corner preacher who simply proves that strength of conviction is no respecter of calm sweet reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit