Homeschooling and JW children

by Pams girl 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Home schooling is a very good thing, if done properly. Or, it is a very bad thing, if done poorly.

To properly home school a child, one must realize what is going on in school. Children need the association. There are also various courses that must be taken--children must learn to properly read, write, and do math. There are also frequent field trips (not to be confused with field circus) and those ever-present audio-visual tools. You will be showing children videos. You will also be responsible for conducting science experiments that schools teach. And doing this usually takes a good 5-6 hours a day, plus time to correct the tests that the teachers would be doing. It also costs money.

The pitfalls often outweigh the benefits. Properly done, you can by-pass the corrupt school system. Parents should know which videos are useful (whether official or not), and which are mere propaganda videos. Materials can be adjusted--so the school uses the look-say method to "teach" children to read, you use phonics. The school uses rote memorization, you teach children to construct their own times tables. You teach children in concepts what schools teach in percepts--and get better results. And, there is no wasted time in disciplinary measures that often waste school time--how often do children spend time with their heads down because they are too disruptive?

However, if you are not careful, it can burn you. Most common is that parents underestimate the costs, and stint. This leads to crap education. They are not willing to spend the time necessary. Some parents inflate test scores, even cheating by correcting wrong answers. Some parents bias the education according to bad beliefs--which is very common among the witlesses. And, children are too-often deprived of experiences like other children, field trips not associated with field circus, play time, and the like. If you don't have the tools, you should not be home-schooling your children.

And, just what tools? Just go to any office supply store, and see what the prices of things are. You need a supply of pencils, pens, paper (lots of it), and teacher supplies. You will be printing copies of tests on your printer, or ordering them at your expense instead of having the school printing them on their own copiers. Chances are good that you will be investing in a chalkboard and chalk, or a dry-erase board and lots of dry-erase markers. You will probably need some kind of projectors for transparencies. For art, you will need crayons, lots of different kinds of paper, glue, staples, good scissors, and many other supplies commonly found in school. Music lessons will also cost you an arm and a leg (and a silver mine). And science experiments will be expensive--go into a science store and look at all the $50 and up price tags on science models. Even simple items like big screw-terminal batteries, wire, and nails can add up.

If you can afford it, if you know what you are getting into, if you are willing to spend the time, if you are going to provide the experiences, by all means home schooling is better than regular school (because you can teach fully integrated pictures whether the Rothschilds like it or not). But, if not, you are probably going to do an even worse job than the laziest, most corrupt school system.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Thank you all for your comments and experiences.

My worry with home school is that kids cant just be kids. Clearly from those who have commented you seem to be well adjusted individuals

Guess we are lucky on this forum x

I worry that the JW kids are further isolated. In their already small world, they arent able to play, learn about the world, develop social skills, learn to be around ather kids and develop the skills to take them into adulthood.

Clearly though, this isnt the case with us well adjusted members of JWN. xxxxxx

My son was bollocked (told off) because he coloured a picture of a xmas tree, but the borg can conceal 23,000 sex offenderds......double standards?

Paula x

• ziddina
    ziddina

Oh, I am SO glad that I wasn't home-schooled!!

Though to be honest, I was sent to public school in Aurora, Colorado - in the '50's and '60's. At that time, the Aurora schools were ranked in the top 25 academically, nationwide. There WERE incidents of violence, especially during the '60's, and drugs - marijuana and LSD were common, as was smoking and drinking, but overall I would NEVER trade my public-school education for being "home-schooled"!!

Things are different, nowadays... The standards we were held to, don't exist anymore. For that matter, the standards set for US were more lenient than those for the earlier generations - we didn't have to learn Latin, or calculus, nor did we receive a thorough education in English literature, as did previous generations... I wish I'd taken Latin; it was available, but not required... And French... And Spanish...

At least I received a decent, basic education in geology and Earth sciences... Had I been home-schooled in a Jehovah's Witness environment, THAT education would have been eliminated, and I probably would have been taught how "Jehovah" built the mountains and the earth and all that in only 42,000 years...

Zid

• nugget
    nugget

I knew a couple of JWs who were home schooled. They were both highly intelligent people but slightly behind socially. It can work for some but not all.

• yknot
    yknot
    usually takes a good 5-6 hours a day,

I don't know a single homeschooler who spends that much time.....

None of my kids required more than 3 hours of hands on teaching by me and I have never done it in a solid block of time either....

Even when my daughter did private school that was geared toward homeschoolers (ie you could pay by subject) she never took more than 3 hours (and that usually included her grading and assisting younger ones after she finished her daily work)

Most homeschoolers also graduate into self progression by means of parents insisting on self discipline....

If I spent 5-6 hours a day in a similar fashion as public school with only 1-3 kids....... I would clear an entire school year within 2-3 months!

What public school does with most of their hours is babysit...... but if schools reduced class size to 10-15 majority would see an increase in good grades and improved behavior.

________________________--

Pams girl said:

I worry that the JW kids are further isolated. In their already small world, they arent able to play, learn about the world, develop social skills, learn to be around ather kids and develop the skills to take them into adulthood.

That is going to happen one way or another on some level by the sheer fact that they are being raised JW...... the good news is that 63% of all born or raised JWs leave (as in publically declare "no longer a JW") and even those of us in 37% (which includes me) are more conscious than the generation before us.......

• dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked for later

• serein
    serein

im home schooling mine but not cos of jws but cos i couldnt get em inthe school i wanyted and other school is bad,plus it dont make anydiff what u do aslong as ur kids still have mates and out of school hobbies ,im conected to a home school group called education otherwise in uk and i dont know of any jws on there forum and theres loads of kids home schooled for lots of diff reasons i think its better to home school its wether thr parent can do it oe not or be botherd or if they work full time,otherwise i think its better.

• serein
    serein

and as u can see my gramer is terrible and so some may think how can she educate well i can i use books online work sheets and what ever else i can get hold of and i have lots of help plus my kids are acftualy alot cleverer than i am they dont even need much teaching,its the wise world experiences they learn and need most i think,

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

63% LEAVE YNOT? Wow, thats a pretty big percentage there....I had no idea!

Once again, thanks folks for all your interesting comments

PAULA x

• sweetmochasista
    sweetmochasista

I was homeschooled. I didn't like it but my parents did it because I have dyslexia and wasn't learning in school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit