Homeschooling and JW children

by Pams girl 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

How many JW kids are homeschooled where you are? Its not very common here in the borough where I live. I just found out on the grapevine that a girl I know is taking her kids out of our very good primary school because she feels the other children are having such a bad influence on her kids. Theyve already moved twice before to my knowledge because of "worldly influences".

While I dont disagree with homeschool per say, I was just wondering if this was common amongst JW kids?

I feel so sorry for her children...they are 4 and 6 years old.....poor little mites dont live in the real world and now they will be isolated even further.

Paula x

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I grew up with quite a few home-schooled JWs (although I myself was not). I did have one interesting observation. When it came to home-schooling, they either followed through and finished their course (strangely some even going to community college later) or they never even bothered to do their schooling and resulted in being barely literate white trash with no skills whatsoever.

The many cases where the kids didn't finish their schooling seemed to me like the kids just didn't want to go to school and the parents were just like "whatever".

• petitebrunette
    petitebrunette

Homeschooling is very common where I live. The sad thing is that the children are so socially backward and actually kinda weird. They will have major problems being liked in the workplace. I agree with Mr. Falcon, some are super into it, and some take every activity in their daily lives and turn it into schoolwork.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

It's really common where I live. This one sister pulled her kids out of middle school cause two girls were supposedly kissing. While akward and inappropriate, I really thought that was extreme. I mean, to JWs, homosexuality and kids dating are the two worst sins. Worse than a lot of other things. Screwed-up priorities...and an extreme view to perfectionism and all that.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think it is more and more common in the USA. I am frankly surprised the Borg doesn't openly support it because in my experience it creates the cultiest of cult members.

• 2tone
    2tone

homeschooling is very common in the US. In my area, I feel the majority of them are homeschooled. Many do not even finish the homeschool. I know several past the age of 18 who are only freshman or sophomre. I know somebody who homeschooled and is 20 and has a 7th grade education.

Then we wonder why we have a simplified watchtower in english only. hmmm....

• designs
    designs

They never ever tackled Algebra.............

• watersprout
    watersprout

My sister and I were homeschooled... I was because of the ''fear'' the Borg created in me and my sister was because of the severity of the bullying she went through cause of being a dub!

My mom worked bloody hard with us! She spent every night planning our work for the next day! I went onto College and got some qualifications. (getting qualifications in what i actually want to do now). My sister ended up with very good, well paid jobs.

We were the only dubbies in our Cong that were HS... My parents were slated for it.

Carrots ex g'friend was HS and her parents did no schooling with her! She was {in carrots own words} as thick as pig s@*t... Ended up working as a part time cleaner and pioneering!

Both my sister and I would have loved school if it had not been for being dubbies! God i HATE THAT RELIGION!

Peace

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hahaha Watersprout........poor carrot.x

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time, and annoys the pig................! x

PAULA x

• yknot
    yknot

I (born-in JW) was homeschooled some, knew others as well...

I homeschool off and on with my kids too.....

Homeschooling is 'BIG' in my area and the JWs tend to 'group' together allowing 'mother's day out' as well as loosely associating with other 'worldly' homeschoolers as many of the are 'Christian' based.

Many JWs in my area assert social things but usually it is an academic issue--- (really they are teaching STDs in 6th grade and stop teaching spelling in 3rd!)

A few years ago Bro. Losch delivered a talk that suggested we keep our kids from the grasps of public school until the law demanded attendance.

Generally speaking children are fine being homeschooled until 9th grade in which social needs to interact with peer group are in the best interest of the whole development of the child.

This all said.... many homeschoolers are not isolated rather they cluster in groups or associate with larger co-ops. Some states have availabilty of online charter schools where the child is technically still in 'public school' too. Sure you get the over-applying fundy or slacker do nothing parent happens in JW homeschooling but it happens in all other aspects of homeschooling too....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit