JW ADVANTAGES vs DISADVANTAGES

by DesirousOfChange 48 Replies latest jw friends

• finallyfree!
    finallyfree!

advantage of being a jw: you can sail through life ignoring truth and reality

disadvantage: its all a big fat lie

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

This is an interesting subject; I'll try for a more focussed post this time . . .

But, all things considered, are there more advantages than disadvantages?

There are aspects that would feel like advantages. The satisfaction of belonging to an elite group, the security of clear rules and regulations (at any one time), the comfort of routine and community. Misery's posts in particular give a warm picture of the jw community.

The big disadvantage I see would be the doubts. I cannot imagine that any jw with a reasonable education wouldn't have them. Answers like "wait upon Jehovah" and "more meetings and service" couldn't wipe them out. It would be like seeing things out of the corner of your eye but being forbidden to turn your head and look.

Young people most of all would be hampered by never being allowed to test their own judgement and initiative. And if for any reason you finally could no longer live by someone elses' rules, well, those are covered every day in the forum. The choice between living a lie and losing family, friends and community to live in a world you have been taught to fear.

I am in awe of the courage of those who take this step.

• freedomisntfree
    freedomisntfree

advantage-amazing food at witness get togethers and being part of a larger community

disadvantage- its all conditional and cramped seats at assemblys lol

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The choice between living a lie and losing family, friends and community to live in a world you have been taught to fear.

I am in awe of the courage of those who take this step.

Courage is surely an understatement. Someone who has been in for decades feels like they have nothing else to turn to. It's all they know. If you're a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation JDub, surely much/most of your family is also "in". All of your friends are other JDubs. You have built a life revolving around JDub tradition. You have taken a stand on things with all your "worldly" peers at school or work or non-witness family. Maybe you have "recruits" in that respect you for "all that you are" in the Truth.....

Then BAM! Something awakens you.........you start looking at things critically (oh, oh, the WT warns about those who are critical -- it's the first sign)..... you take off the blinders and.........(that's where I am).......

.............well you know the rest.

How long does this period of denial last?

How long before you get over the concern that everything bad happening in your life is divine justice?

• clarity
    clarity

Hello Wasblind - you're so right about jw kids being afraid to 'open up' to their parents. Any wrong doing will be reported to the "leaders" and this fear interfears with the natural family communication. To confess to this bunch is like slitting your own throat lol!

Doc ......"How long before you get over the concern that everything bad happening in your life is divine justice?"

How long is a piece of string?? It all depends on you. Good luck.

clarity

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINDSEYE:

Your post says it all for me. As far as I was concerned, the benefits to me of being a JW were that I stopped smoking and lived a moral lifestyle. I didn't have to worry about pregnancy or disease because I was practicing abstinence. You are right that it is about high control. Even though a person could achieve these benefits in another religion, the JWs are very intrusive and make a person's life miserable.

But, this doesn't make the JWs the 'truth' because they supposedly have 'high morals' and look clean (well, on the surface anyway). I consider myself fortunate not to have been raised in the religion. I came in as a young adult and already had an education and career. It is a sobering thought to imagine how damaged I could have been if the story were different.

If a religion is built on a faulty foundation the whole thing is to be discarded as far as I am concerned.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" I felt as if I had to make up my rules as I went, and that I had little or no authority as a parent."

Retrovirus,

I know what you mean, one thing I noticed while I was attendin' the hall was that the

Elders wives felt that they had the authority to tell you how to parent. Mind you now

me and my daughter were worldlies comin' into this religion. My duaghter was the one

who gave me the scoop on how some of the JW kids act diferently in school than in the hall

she said if she didn't know them from the hall. she would not have known that they were

JW's

Before I up and quit that mess, I took notice of the school children my daughter knew

in the hall, they were actually zoned out durin' the meetings. if they had parts they would

do their parts well, and they would answer questions. It seemed mechanical, not real

I'm speakin' bout the teens.

younger children would seem to thrive off of the praise

they would get from answerin' canned questions, and the toddlers who couldn't sit

still were carried to the back. From what I seen the parents would quiet the child down

without spankin' them. not sayin they didn't spank, I just didn't see it, from where I was sittin'

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

There is so much pent up frustration in the JW's. This is why you'll see insulting and rude comments from them on youtube beneath the vid.

Encourage = Thou shall not!

A JW wastes their lives pounding the streets 'placing' dublications, trying to start 'Bible' studies, attending meetings that are not worship based but sales orientated.

It's a very hollow life of delusion and disappointment.

I've seen this in my own family and thru' all the disappointment there is this illusion that god will make it all right in the end so let's keep pretending, holding on...the big 'A' is VERY close....please, let it be very close........

Many 'worldly' people live more moral lives and do not tell lies to entrap people into their cult.

As for having a good 'social network'..........nah! Smoke 1 cigarette and you'll see them turn on you like wolves!

• wasblind
    wasblind

you know what Punkof nice,

You just reminded me of somethin'. I have a cigarette lighter

that's mainly used for decoration cause I don't smoke, it doesn't even

have lighter fluid in it. And when I started studying, they did mention

something about it, and I told them it was decorative I didn't use it

They were feelin' me out , and I didn't even have a clue

Control Freaks

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Wasblind - I have shown you fire! (or was it a ciggy lighter?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit