Does the Christian message fall apart without a literal interpretation of Genesis?

by nicolaou 175 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What's the point of Jesus if Adam & Eve did not 'Fall' and condemn us all to sin?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Actually, it falls apart either way rather quickly. Newborn babies are not sinners.

• doubtful
    doubtful

That's what I'm confronted with right now.

Creation Story - BS

Noah's Flood - BS

Tower of Babel story - BS

Exodus story - BS

• cofty
    cofty

The idea of original sin is a contemptible doctrine.

How can it be a virtue to hold a newborn baby and consider them sinful? How can it be helpful to think of yourself as sinful and deserving of death? Its disgusting and I'm embarassed I ever believed it.

• tec
    tec

Does the Christian message fall apart without a literal interpretation of Genesis?

No, I don't believe so. Christ took OUR sins upon himself. Regardless of how we got started on sin (literal story or figurative), the simple fact is that we do all sin.

Tammy

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I liked John Shelby Spong's attempt to fuse rational thinking and Christianity in his book 'Sins of scripture'.

He still believes Christianity has some worth, even if none of the events in the bible happened.

The Sermon on the mount and other sayings of Jesus are still very important, even if the 'ransom sacrifice' is meaningless.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Yes it does. It was one of the realizations that led me to convert to Judaism. However, I still like the idea of Jesus and have my own ideas about his worth--which I don't care to go into on this db.

• unshackled
    unshackled

The whole message falls apart either way...because a supreme being didn't sit around 14 billion years to deliver a divinely inspired book to us humans a mere 2000-3000 years ago on this tiny speck of rock, to let us know we're are all a bunch of pathetic sinners.

Doesn't matter which book you like best - the bible, koran, book of mormon, or lord of the rings.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

God is still sulking and fuming that a naked lady ate a piece of fruit. (prolly the one he wanted)

SIX THOUSAND YEARS AGO.

He is sooo mad that he wants to kill all of her descendents, unless they tell him he is sooo AWESOME.

He had his son butchered. "That's what I'll do to you, unless you thank me for doing it to him instead of you."

Does this sound like a psychopath?

HB

• garyneal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit