Conservative America and "The Meaning of the Flag-Draped Coffin"

by SweetBabyCheezits 20 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Today I received a mass-FWD email from a fellow employee (down here in Baptist country) entitled The Meaning of the Flag-Draped Coffin. I'm pasting the intro to it below the full email can be enjoyed by clicking the link.

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.

Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

It then proceeds to spell out the significance of each of the 13 folds of the American flag, many with strong Christianity-biased meaning.

So I researched the content and I've got some comments to make but first I thought I'd see if anyone else felt like I did upon reading it.

What thinketh you, good people?

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was always taught that the 13 stripes represented the 13 original colonies; just like the stars represent the current states.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Same here but this email was addressing the customary manner in which the flag is folded 13 times to produce a triangular pillow, per se, and the significance each fold carries in funeral ceremony for fallen soldiers.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

For example, some of these are stated as follows...

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America , and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their Nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

• james_woods
    james_woods

I call BS on this from an official US Military standpoint...of course, somebody (even in the military) could have made it up after the fact by creating "representations" for each fold.

I was guessing that they represented the same thing as the stripes.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It makes me happier than ever to live in California

• zoiks
    zoiks

It's just another forwarded half-truthful massmail.

The "meanings" assigned for each of the 13 folds are not original to the ceremony, nor are they the reason for it.

Sounds like just another attempt at making this "God's nation", with all of the weird and scary things that would go with such a designation.

Fortunately that isn't the case, and people of all faiths, creeds, beliefs, sexual orientations, and genders are viewed and treated with respect and dignity by everyone else. Oh, wait...

• james_woods
    james_woods

Another thought might be that the U.S. Military has long had protestant, catholic, jewish, and now even islamic chaplains - these guys are trying to co-opt a simple ceremonial custom for their own propaganda.

Next - maybe they will think up religious verses for "Taps"...

• beksbks
    beksbks

Flag folding and presentation

The flag of the United States draped over the casket is meticulously folded 13 times by a total of 6 honor guards, 3 on each side of the casket. The following information describes the symbolic meaning for each fold of the flag. [5] It is important to note that the thirteenfold procedure was a common practice long before the creation of a ceremonial assignation of "meaning" to each of the steps. Such symbolism has been mistakenly attributed to have an integral part in the origins of the thirteenfold procedure. In truth, it evolved as a means of providing religious significance to the ceremony and its participants, and is often requested to be read alongside the folding of the flag at funerals. [6]

• james_woods
    james_woods

In truth, it evolved as a means of providing religious significance to the ceremony and its participants, and is often requested to be read alongside the folding of the flag at funerals. [6]

Yup - that is what I thought. Both my father and my grandfather had military funerals, and nothing about this was ever even mentioned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit