so oompa got df'd this week...

by oompa 131 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If it was the case that you were unconscious or nearly so when rushed by ambulance into the hospital and were not in the mental state to really know what treatment you were being given.

I heard of a case where two young men were injured in a car accident. One was a JW, one was not. At the trauma center medical personel could not determine who was who as their IDs had been removed from them at the accident scene and thus both were given blood. He was not held accountable as he had not specifically condoned the transfusion.

Even now, if one conscents to a transfusion under the duress of fearing for their life, if that person is repentant, then no judicial action should be taken against them.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

if you don't want to be dfd then have a lawyer write to the society on your behalf. cite the wt as much as possible. You did nothing. Sounds like the local elders were looking for a chance and blindsided you when you were in the hosp. I must say your wife wasn't much help.

I'm one of the "walking dead" and it's better than being "in" .

I hope you get better fast. Bike crashes are so dangerous.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

While the HIPPA violation would be against the doctors/hospital staff, they likely were not permitted to reveal his medical treatment to anyone - perhaps only his wife. Thus they could certify that no one was made aware of his treatment.

If it were me, and my wife told the elders I took blood, I would still deny it. I would tell them that they need two witnesses. Then I would make sure that my doctor/hospital certifies they never discussed with others what medical treatment I received. In essence the only "witness" they would have would be just one, albeit my wife, but it would still be her word against mine. I don't know about Oompa's wife, but me personally, I know I'd be able to get my wife to say that maybe she wasn't fully sure of the exact treatments I received and that she is no longer going to comment one way or the other on my treatment. I'd bypass the elders and go straight to the CO and society - perhaps with a letter from the doctors stating that they never discussed my medical treatment with any elder or anyone not authorized to know.

Every CO and service dept member I know would prevent the elders from DAing. I guarantee it. Two witness rule.

• Quandry
    Quandry

oompa,

I am glad that you are alive. It looks like you survived a close encounter with death.

It really is something that your dad will not talk to you now. Would he rather you didn't survive? He should be so glad just to hug you and tell you he's happy to have you.

You have survived a crash and a cruel organization. You are the winner.

I suggest you get out the list of things you wanted to do before you die, since you almost did, and start doing them. Invite your loved ones on the journey, but if they choose to shun you, then please enjoy them anyway.When you do speak to family, tell them you are glad to be able to breathe life's air.

I wish the best for you!

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Hi Oompa,

So sorry that all these disasters all come at the same time. We are all happy you made it. You definitely don't need this treatment from 'shepherds'. Stupid authoritarian ยง%$%/&I's!!! Actually it shows pretty well that the society CANNOT be used by God. So much hardness and coldness many unbelievers would not be able to produce. It should teach your wife a big lesson. If the roles were reversed, how would she feel now? Would she still be alive at all?

What you could use to reverse the DF, is the fact that you were most probably unconscious or under drugs when you got the blood transfusion. Your wife took the decision, and it might be quite a while since you discussed this with your wife. Your point of view could have changed. So actually there was nothing you could do to prevent it. I believe the elders were a bit rash to go that fast in making the announcement. I would definitely consider an appeal, whether straight to bethel, the CO, or the JC. Whether you got the transfusion or not, does actually not really matter, it is whether or not you consented to it. Which you were not able to.

We are all happy your doctors did a good job and pulled you through. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best.

Hoffnung

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I haven't read the entire thread but my reaction is this: if they know what medical treatment you received someone needs to be sued. There are laws protecting patient's privacy. Those laws appear to have been violated.

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked for later

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

HLC elders have been instructed on HIPPA as well. They are supposed to treat it very seriously. It's been mentioned regularly in talks on the service meeting recently about blood. It would make an interesting case to sue clergy for violating medical privacy rights. I think a legitimate threat of legal action to the elders (sent to the CO/service/legal dept) would likely bring about the desired result of 'not DAing'.

More importantly in this case, they only have one witness, from what I've read. A CO or service department member will overturn an JC ruling based on just one witness in heartbeat. I've seen elders removed for less.

Oompa might be too busy recuperating to deal with this. If that's the case a short two paragraph letter to the CO, should hold the matter in abeyance.

"Dear CO. (CC - my attorney and bethel legal and bethel service dept)

I just was informed that the elders of my congregation XXXXXX are going to disfellowship me. They are accusing me of consenting to a blood transfusion in my very recent accident. I absolutely deny that I consented to a blood transfusion. As for what treatment I did or did not receive, the doctors have informed me that such information was kept private as required by law, so no elder would have any access to such information, nor would they be allowed to share it among others if they did. It has disheartened me beyond words that so-called Christian shepherds would subject me and my family to a judical case behind my back while I'm still trying to recuperate from nearly losing my life in an accident. So due to my physical state (which will require an indefinite amount of time in physical therapy) and not being able to handle any more harsh and cold treatment from the elders, I cannot say when I would be able to meet with any elder regarding this matter. Perhaps sometime in the future I will contact you or the current CO at the time to discuss this. As of now, I would prefer no calls, letters, or contact, whatsoever regarding this matter. Please have the elders leave me alone and make no announcement regarding me, as I hearby deny that I violated in any way whatsoever, the Jehovah's Witnesses' teaching on the misuse of blood.

If, despite being in the condition I am in right now, the elders insist on carrying out an official judicial decision, I ask that before such action is taken, they please provide me with AT LEAST two witnesses to the accusation in writing. Again, due to my condition, I truly am unable to deal with such an inquisition right now though, so if the elders are able to provide two witnesses that will testify in writing as to the medical treatment I received and they stand by their admission to sharing this information to those unauthorized individuals (the elders accusing me of misuse of blood), please inform those witnesses, that I will have my attorney contact them. Anyone coming forth as witnesses to my alleged violation need to know that I am not able to represent myself in my condition, so I will be using an attorney if it goes this far. Hopefully, should such witnesses, wish to proceed in their allegations, you will make it clear to them and the elders that this will become a very serious legal matter, from here on out. On the other hand, as I am in full denial of the accusation the elders are making, it seems the most theocratic way to handle this is to let the matter rest in Jehovah's hands. I think we both realize that there are not two witnesses who will stand by the allegations, so the right thing to do, the theocratic thing to do, is to have the elders rescind the decision to announce my disfellowshipping/disassociation.

Sincerely

Oompa"

Given that from what I read here, the only witness is his wife - my guess is she would tell the elders that she just won't testify against her husband. Even if she did - that's still one witness. Case closed.

• mf6
    mf6

I've never been a JW. I can't believe they would do something like this.

How can they be so twisted?

(Shakes head).

MF6

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Oompa, I had no idea this is what you went through. I posted on another thread that JWs will trun into Manson's girls if the GB order them to. You will trully appreciate my point Only if you actually had tasted a fraction of their unbelivable cruel potential in the name of the Governing Body!

It is disturbingly a dangerous cult!

If any one out there believing the Watchtower won't DA/DF you for receiving blood transfusion. Pleas read this thread! The borg may have claimed one thing but I tell you as one who have not missed JWs meetings more than 2 dozen times in last 25 years, the borg has not changed their principle stance on this Jim Jones level doctrine.

It porbably has to do with legal reasons, if anything, for the explaination of different outcome on this doctrine by the Borg.

The Watchtower will say anything shamelessly as they go if it benefit and protect them. And the borg cowardly turn around beat the crap out of you for not abiding their rules for 100% and fail to show your complete obedience to their authority for 100%. That's what coward bully do. The bully brown nose to someone bigger and yet pick on those smaller than he is.

I hope you are having better days, Opmpa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit