Beards vs. Bow Ties: Which is more "immodest" or attention drawing?

by Open mind 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

If you were on a hiring panel for a new Chair of the Federal Reserve Board, would either a neatly trimmed beard or a bow tie even register on your dress and grooming "radar"?

I'm talking Ben Bernanke, (current Chairman of the Fed)

http://www.amarketplaceofideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Ben-Bernanke-Beard.jpg

vs.

Richard Abrahamson, Secretary/Treasurer of the WTB&TS of Pennsylvania since 2000. I looked all over and couldn't find a picture of him, but he's famous for his bow ties. He probably sleeps with one on.

(For the record, this isn't Richard Abrahamson)

http://static2.dmcdn.net/static/video/197/327/26723791:jpeg_preview_large.jpg?20101211044046

You can probably guess where I'd go with this if talking to local elders.

om

• im stuck in
    im stuck in

I am always turned off by bowties they look childish in my opinion. Why do you think Pee Wee Herman has one? But I also pretty much hate neckties as well. I only wear one when I have too. Beards look fine I like the short ones especially. stuck in

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I think both should be fine! But I see where you're going. Bow ties are more distracting. The JWs really need to get over their fear of the hippies and their beards. Beards and goatees are worn by respectable men all over the world.

If they really want to keep an outlaw on facial hair how 'bout just outlawing facial hair on women?

• minimus
    minimus

Ben looks like a disfellowshipped elder.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@brotherdan,

I don't know... I've seen some pretty decent facial hair on sisters ... I mean, if you were standing 10 ft away, you could see... well, at least a good shadow. :)

MeanMrMustard

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I'm not gonna dig on bowties because it's just my opinion some people on this board me like them. But all the J-dubbs I've ever known who wear bow-ties were just basically attention whores. Oooooohhh look at me! I'm different!

Maybe it's just a sub-conscience act of desparation to try to express individuality. Trying to look different from the other cattle being led to the slaughter, who knows. Made some of these cats look like they were Muslims.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Mr. Falcon: "Maybe it's just a sub-conscience act of desparation to try to express individuality."

I think you've nailed it in JW world.

JW #1: "Do you know Bro Abrahamson from Bethel?"

JW #2: Blank stare.

JW #1: "You know, he works in the Treasurer's office and always wears a bow tie."

JW #2: "Oh, yeah! I know him."

om

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Occasonally my brother wears a bow tie. He looks like a Nation of Islam member when he does it.

By the way, there's not a gay bone in my body, but Bernanke looks good in that picture. Very distiguished.

• Open mind
    Open mind

If I were sitting on an interview panel for someone applying for a job that called for conservative business attire, both a beard and a bow tie would register on my radar.

Let's make it a 1 to 10 scale.

1 = Uber conservative: Dark suit, white shirt, boring tie, clean shaven, short neatly trimmed hair, no visible tats or piercings.

10 = Crazy time: Clown suit, multiple tats, piercings, gauging, hair dyed all colors of the rainbow.

On this scale, a beard or bow tie would probably bump the guy up to a 1.5 or a 2. But that just shows a bit of individuality, IMO. It would still be considered acceptable business attire. And whatever number you attach to it, I think bow ties are just a tiny bit (not much) more attention-drawing than beards in current American society.

Anyone from other countries want to weigh in?

om

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I sometimes wear a full beard. I sometimes wear a bow tie. Bow ties are useful. You never forget someone in a bow tie.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit