Only the Governing Body is the FDS

by Listener 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

The Wt org said:

"The faithful and discreet slave" has published information to help handle the spiritual and emotional hurt caused by child abuse. (Matthew 24:45-47)

They might have as well said that electricity did that-

The WT won'texplain who the individual F&DS memebers are in detail and the GB is never refered to being the F&Ds in the present tense.

• Awen
    Awen

If I recall correctly the GB has said recently that the JW's are only to listen to them (the GB) and not the rest of the anointed scattered around the world. They are simply consolidating their power base. They do not want individual members of the F&DS class to rock the boat and question their self appointed authority.

They want the rank and file JW to listen to them (The GB) and imply that the rest of the F&DS simply doesn't have all the information that they (The GB) have and therefore have no idea what they are talking about. In fact, this is a lie. While the rest of the anointed may not be privy to the day to day workings of Bethel, they do in fact have God's Spirit and are being actively directed by it, hence why they speak out against the GB and why the GB fears this and have taken steps to neutralize them in a (so far) non-hostile way.

As far as the scripture at Matthew 24:45-47 is concerned, it seems to me that this is a warning to all Christians and especially those in a position of responsibility to behave themselves. Clearly the GB isn't and have totally missed the point of this parable.

In the first century we know there was no GB (despite the WTS claims to the contrary) because of several facts.

The Apostle Paul never reported to a GB, neither did any of the other Christians. The example given in Acts 15: is merely a testimony of the unifying power of God's spirit and nothing more when it came to the circumcision issue. The so-called GB did not continue to direct the work after the issue was settled, nor are there any other references to a GB after the book of Acts. It's especialy noteworthy in the Book of Revelation where Jesus counsels the seven congregations for their misdeeds but does not mention a GB. Obviously if there had been one in effect, he would have had some strong words for them for failing to do their job, yet no mention is made of them. This is because there wasn't one and there wasn't a need for one.

Individual Christians are responsible for their own behavior and the congregation as a whole was to be consulted on matters of discipline of members involved in wrongdoing (as the scripture clearly shows). This being so that everyone was aware of what was occurring and so that the "wrongdoer" could get a fair hearing and not be subjected to back room Judicial Committees in which justice took a back seat to towing the party line.

The scriptures are quite clear on how these matters are to be handled and the "older men" referred to in the scriptures as ones who would "pray over a weak person and anoint their head with oil" are simply just that. Older men. Experienced ones who have dealt with these same trials in their lives and who may be of some help. They aren't in a position of authority to direct the congregation

One last thought. If there was a body of elders and a GB in the 1st century running everything, then why did the Corinthians write to the Apostle Paul asking his advice on how to deal with the man who took his father's wife (his step mother) into his bed?

Wouldn't the local ""elders" have simply handled the matter or written to the GB? Neither of these things occurred. Paul simply took the role of "an older man" and "greased the heads" of the congregation with his spirit-directed insight.

Where were the elders and GB in all this. Stragely missing it seems.

Peace,

Awen

• Listener
    Listener

The increase in numbers of partakers/anointed has left the org with a problem. (I personally suspect also that a huge dispportionate amount of these are females) This is apparent by their use of the term 'genuine' anointed in their more recent articles. They are not able to determine who they think are genuine and who are not. There would be many JWs in the congregations that see partakers and know they couldn't possibly be genuine.

The problem they have is how can they be instructing all JWs to follow a FDS when no-one knows who is a member of that class or not. It becomes unsupportable. So to this day it appears they have put the focus on the Governing Body but other than hinting at the idea that they have 'special talents' or are 'gifted' they have not come up with biblical support for this transition.

Here is an Watchtower (71 12/15) article on the formation of the Governing Body. I have highlighted the more intersting parts.

"HOW

THEGOVERNINGBODYCAMETO

EXIST

How did this governing body make its appearance in recent times? Evidently under the direction of Jehovah God and his Son Jesus Christ. According to the facts available, the governing body became associated with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania. C. T. Russell was patently of that governing body back there in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. Being fully dedicated to God through Christ, he set himself to apply his time, energy, abilities, wealth and influence to defending God’s inspired Word and spreading its message. To that end he began publishing Zion’sWatchTower back there in July of 1879, believing, as he said in its columns, that this had Jehovah’s backing, and hence there would be no solicitation for money. He manifested the qualifications of an overseer as set out in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9 and accordingly he was requested by the congregation of Christian Bible students at Allegheny to serve as its pastor or spiritual shepherd. Five years later Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society was incorporated and served as an “agency” to minister spiritual food to thousands of sincere persons seeking to know God and to understand his Word and to come into relationship with him through Christ.

Dedicated, baptized, anointed Christians became associated with that Society at headquarters in Pennsylvania. Whether on the Board of Directors or not, they rendered themselves available for special work of the “faithful and discreet slave” class. They aided in the feeding and directing of the slave class, and thus a governing body made its appearance. This was evidently under the guidance of Jehovah’s invisible active force or holy spirit. Also, under the direction of the Head of the Christian congregation, Jesus Christ the Son of God. True, the members of that governing body were not directly appointed by the Lord Jesus Christ. For that matter, not all the members of the governing body associated with the Jerusalem congregation in the first century were thus directly appointed. How, then, were those “elders” of the Jerusalem congregation who were not numbered among the twelve apostles made members of the governing body? Evidently by appointment of the original twelve apostles, acting under the guidance of Jehovah’s holy spirit.

This is illustrated by the action of those twelve apostles when appointing Stephen and Philip and five other men to take care of certain business of the Jerusalem congregation. (Acts 6:1-8) Also, the apostle Paul pointed out in his remarks to the elders of the Ephesus congregation that the overseers of God’s flock of spiritual sheep were appointed by God’s holy spirit. (Acts 20:28) Thus, too, even though there were no apostles of Christ on hand in the nineteenth century, God’s holy spirit must have been operative toward the formation of the governing body for his anointed remnant of the “faithful and discreet slave” class. The facts speak for themselves. There came on the scene a body of anointed Christians who accepted and undertook the responsibilities of governing the affairs of Jehovah’s dedicated, baptized, anointed people who were following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ and endeavoring to fulfill the work stated in Jesus’ prophecy at Matthew 24:45-47. Facts speak louder than words. The governing body is there. Thankfully Jehovah’s Christian witnesses know and assert that this is no one-man religious organization, but that it has a governing body of spirit-anointed Christians."

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

@ Awen, very good and thoughtful points.

@ Listener, thanks for the reference; here the governing body of ... who, all "genuine" Christians worldwide??? .... was formed in the late 1800s. Incredible. And, appallingly, that final appeal to Witness to suspend all reasoning powers and suspend all disbelief: The Governing Body is there because it's there, amen. The proof is that it exists, and the fact that it exists is all the proof you need.

Reading those words takes me back to the way I thought in the mid-1980s when I joined. I would read such comments and be quietly awestruck, thinking, shit, this is bigger than I can even imagine. This is so real. I am so fortunate to be part of it. This is deep, but it's true. I accepted it with a certain solemnity, influenced by the guy I "studied" with, who impressed upon me the necessity to accept and believe.

Now I read it and think, you lying fockers. What weak, fraudulent reasoning.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Has anyone tried discussing the issue of the Governing Body and FDS with Witnesses who call at their door? Do they care?

• designs
    designs

Mr.M-

I tried with a Wintess who was doing street witnessing in Laguna Beach, Ca., when I wanted to show him a scripture he got ants in his shoes and started doing the crab walk and side stepped his way down the street.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit