Rejected by Immediate Family

by LoriJis 26 Replies latest jw friends

• LoriJis
    LoriJis

As most of you know, my husband and I DA's ourselves almost 8 months ago. The communication with MY family stayed pretty normal. They would call once in a while and text me. My sister would keep in touch with me and let me talk to my nephews. Not every day but once in a while. Today I called my mother (we used to work together before I got laid off) to ask her to get me some paperwork that I needed from my old job. She was very short on the phone. I told her I had went to see my aunt (her sister) - who is not a witness - and my mother wasnt happy about it. I told her I was keeping in touch with my aunts and uncles (that are not witnesses) and try to reconnect with them. As a born-in witness we were not allowed to associated with our non-witness family. So now I wanted to reconnect with them. My grandfather called me who i havent talked to in at least 5 years. And i told my mother because I was excited. Her response was: "Yea i told him about your tattoo and he was upset and wanted to talk to you". I'm like serious? Does the family have nothing better to do than talk about me.

Then she asks me: "Are you happy?" I said yes why. Her response: Well, your celebrating birthdays, halloween, christmas, you smoke and you got tattoos. Are you happy with your life? Is this what you wanted" My heart shattered at that moment. I thought that my family was somewhat supportive - guess I was wrong. I told her that yes i was happy and i knew that she was disappointed in me but that i was sorry.

Then I ask my sister to let me talk to my nephew and her response was: "My husband and I had a talk with your nephew and explained that until you decide to come back he's not allowed to talk to his aunt". Then she says "the same way you want us to respect your decision of leaving, you should respect the consequences of your decisions."

Consequences of my decisions.....hmmm.....here's my thought. If you truly want me to come back (not that I will) wouldnt you think it would be easier embracing me rather than shunning me out. My "worldy" family who i have not seen or talked to in at least 6 years are all getting together this weekend for New Years and have invited me and I am going. I want to meet cousins I dont know I have and would like to meet my husband which they havent met. This to me is family. They are not judging my decisions. They are including me - even though I've abandoned them. They accept me no matter what.

So how am I supposed to feel when my witness immediate family (parents and siblings) wont talk to me and my non-witness family who hasnt heard from me inyears accepts me with no questions asked.

I am soooo upset, depressed and everything. I usually do things impulsively but i'm thinking about sending them all an email saying how i feel and then just letting them know that i will be disconnecting from them from now on.....any suggestions in this situation?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Then she asks me: "Are you happy?" I said yes why. Her response: Well, your celebrating birthdays, halloween, christmas, you smoke and you got tattoos. Are you happy with your life? Is this what you wanted" My heart shattered at that moment. I thought that my family was somewhat supportive - guess I was wrong. I told her that yes i was happy and i knew that she was disappointed in me but that i was sorry.

She's making a very unhelpful assumption: that "celebrating holidays, smoking and getting tatoos" somehow constitutes a "life."

How could one possibly take that little information and use it to judge the life of another human? It's ludicrous logic and should be treated as such.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Then I ask my sister to let me talk to my nephew and her response was: "My husband and I had a talk with your nephew and explained that until you decide to come back he's not allowed to talk to his aunt". Then she says "the same way you want us to respect your decision of leaving, you should respect the consequences of your decisions."

I feel your pain... same exact scanario has played out in the lives of many on this forum. Have you read Combatting Cult Mind Control?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Consequences of my decisions.....hmmm.....here's my thought. If you truly want me to come back (not that I will) wouldnt you think it would be easier embracing me rather than shunning me out. My "worldy" family who i have not seen or talked to in at least 6 years are all getting together this weekend for New Years and have invited me and I am going. I want to meet cousins I dont know I have and would like to meet my husband which they havent met. This to me is family. They are not judging my decisions. They are including me - even though I've abandoned them. They accept me no matter what.

So how am I supposed to feel when my witness immediate family (parents and siblings) wont talk to me and my non-witness family who hasnt heard from me inyears accepts me with no questions asked.

I am soooo upset, depressed and everything. I usually do things impulsively but i'm thinking about sending them all an email saying how i feel and then just letting them know that i will be disconnecting from them from now on.....any suggestions in this situation?

Write the letter, pour your heart out. Then read it over carefully then make a decision on whether to send it or not, that's the best advice I can give you. I did the same thing many months ago and it helped me greatly.

Just remember this though, if you send a letter make sure you send it for yourself. If you have an preconceived expectations on how they recieve it, DO NOT SEND IT! It will just be used against you and will further this painful experience.

-Sab

• Stealth
    Stealth

The loss of extended family is one of my biggest regrets of being a witness. Of course this was all out of my control and was told that 'they' did not want anything to do with us because we became JWs. We got together on a regular basis with extended family until we became JWs, then it all ended.

Embrase your extended family. Understand your being upset, but don't think it would do any good to email them. It would just validate their actions of shunning to try to get you to return.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think it's always a tough call - dealing with JW family.

Nice that you have non-JW family (and hopefully other good friends) to create memories with. Cherish those relationships. Make them your 'family of choice'.

I'm having my own troubles with JW family members so no good advice for you except to foster other relationships.

Hugs. I feel your pain.

-Aude.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Embrase your extended family. Understand your being upset, but don't think it would do any good to email them. It would just validate their actions of shunning to try to get you to return.

Sending a letter or email will probably have this effect on their end. What one must do when deciding to send it or not is to evaluate why he/she is sending the letter. I personally sent many letters because I wanted to make sure my voice was out there. Sure it was taken and distorted and worked into the rumor mill and used to demonize my character, but my voice was heard, and for some reason that was important to me. It's not important to everybody though.

-Sab

• pirata
    pirata
    sending them all an email saying how i feel and then just letting them know that i will be disconnecting from them from now on.....

I wouldn't say that YOU'RE going to be disconnecting them. Don't let them put the blame on you. If anything I would emphasize your love for them and let them know that you'll always be available to talk should they one day decide that shunning family members because of they changed their religious beliefs is not the way of love ("Is it Wrong to Change Your Religion?", Awake! 2007 Jul p.29). When they pull the "you left Jehovah" card, it's good to explain that you don't feel you left him because either you don't believe in God anymore, or You don't believe that God is using the organization, or whatever is the case.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I feel for you.

My decision to walk away from That Twisted Cult cost me my children.

I could not survive living a life controlled by rules that changed when WTS saw new Light every 6 months or so.

It's hard to deal with..... but the longer time goes by.... you realize (the old dating saying)...

It's not me..... It's You!

Do what you feel you must... Shun Me! Show Me your True Christian Love by Shunning.

True Brotherhood and Sisterhood.

In the old days I remember David Shunning Absalom.........

Wait no he didn't.

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

Me and my family left the cult last year and some of my jw family have not spoken to us in over 2.5 years. We were inactive for a year but that's all and still no contact from them!!! They judged me and my family as bad association so we have children that have cousins and uncles who they have never seen. What a nice bunch of people these jw's are!!!! My dad is a miserable serpent again now and since the special day assembly things have gone very frosty. I'm certain that he has been told to avoid us by the pupet masters.. My brother got married but they wouldn't attend.

My advise to you is to move on with your life and shun your jw family as they have made their mind up about you. You have some good other family that are going to be there for you, your mom won't. How dare she treat you like this!!! The sooner you tell your JW family to get lost the better. You are better off without them. I know thats going to hurt but it's your life and not the WTBTS. Make 2011 the year you move on.

And you are stronger than you think because it takes alot to up and leave these family behind. But you must and maybe soon the evil the WTBTS do to families will be there downfall . Amen to that !

Hugs from

HHG and family

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit