Where do you go from here?

by still looking 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• still looking
    still looking

Thank you guys so much. I'm sure most of you went through what I went through. The guilt, the self doubts, the pain that I was hurting God, all those things most people feel when leaving a cult. I knew if I stayed I'd be very unhappy and depressed. I found out how much they really cared about me as one of their flock, that mainly drove me from them and was my eye opener.

I was really sick for a long time. I was diagnosed. depressed, chronic fatigue, but what I really had was chronic EBV, which I contracted from one of the elders wives. The poor thing was guilted into going out witnessing when she was feeling horrible and lucky me, I caught it. We were both adults, and if you get it when your young, no big deal, it's like the flu for a few days, 99% of the population has it, most get it by college age. But as an adult, it can be really bad. I was sleeping 22 hours a day and feeling like I hadn't slept in months, it's hard to describe if you've never had it. I was so weak, and forgetful, I actually at one point couldn't read. I was misdiagnosed as depressed at first and they wanted me to exercise, which could have killed me, I later found out. I felt like I ran a 20 mile marathon just walking to the bathroom. I spent over $2500 in copays trying to find out what was wrong with me. I finally went back to my old family physician who ran the right blood test and told me I was the highest titer he ever saw. I was really bad for 2 years, sleeping around 18-20 hours a day, most days. It was about the third year I got the correct diagnosis. I was told not to exercise as it could kill my liver and to do nothing but rest for 6 months. Who can do that, but when I finally did let go and relax instead of trying to do what I could during the few hours a day I was awake, it really helped. It's been a long time since then, and I'm about 80% on a good day. My friend who is a pain management nurse talked to some doctors about me, since it's been years and I was wondering if I would ever be 100% again, sometimes I'm down to 30%. She told me I'm lucky I'm doing as well as I am, some people never get past 30%, some actually die.

I often wonder if the Jw's, like the Muslim suicide bombers, believe to die in Jehovah's service is the ticket to the holy land. They always touted stories about people who crossed crocodile filled rivers to make it to a meeting, or had some other near death encounter or actually died. As I said, very few people stayed home who were sick. If the elders wife had stayed home, I wouldn't have lost so much of my quality of life. Not only was I having horrible guilt from not attending meetings, but fighting doctors as well, who wanted to put me on Prozac or tranquilizers. Tranquilizers, heck I was sleeping 20 hours a day as it was. Without energy, trust me, it's not easy to even think, let alone fight. They told me to do things that I really enjoyed. I'd have to push myself to go camping with my non-JW friends and I'd end up sleeping the whole time. Whatever the EBV does, it also does something to your memory. I can't remember barely anything of those trips I went on. Friends would tell me something I did, I have no recollection of it whatsoever. I finally had to give it up, it was killing me.

Needless to say everything went downhill, and I have to tell you, it takes energy to be hospitable. I'd try to do a study and be weak and shaking when I left. Being misdiagnosed for a long time, and you don't look sick with EBV, you only feel it, so the witnesses thought I was playing hooky. I was constantly being told I was weak in the faith. The pioneer that was coming over once a week to study with me , because I was actually getting lost driving a short distance, told me she couldn't do it anymore, as I wasn't making an effort. I can't tell you how that made me feel, I thought she was my friend, I didn't know if I did something wrong against God and was having a Job type punishment. But no kindness.

My house went to heck and yet others, not the pioneer would want to come over. It was hard enough for me to allow this one person that I felt close to, to come in, and again, the more stress, the more energy drain. I was in bed as usual and the grand poobah, I forget what they call them, the big wig that comes every so often came with one of the elders to my house. This was after I couldn't take it any more, it was taking too much out of me, and I requested to be left alone. I was tired period, but also tired of feeling guilty, sad, depressed, you name it.

My husband told them I wasn't feeling good which was an understatement, and they kept pressing him. He had no problem telling them where to go, since in the beginning they hijacked me to hijack him into a study. My husband was really mad about that. They left me alone after that for a while, but every so often would drive up. I only know because my husband would go out and tell them politely, "no thanks."

So during this time of extreme exhaustion, I had to go through all these feelings and emotions, which I think helped set me back, and it's a long road back to recovery, both physically as well as mentally.

My mother always said she didn't trust any organized religion, I know why from her end, but I think like someone said, she's a smart lady. I will do a pm if I get to a point where I think I need some help. I think I will take this journey alone for a while, maybe like many of you say, it will bring me to what I have been searching for, when I first invited the witnesses in many years ago, to find God, the God that I yearned to learn about when I was 4 years old, the God of love, the caring, feeling God, the one of comfort, who takes the burden off, not puts it on. I never felt that God during the time I studied with the JW's, I hope I can find him now.

This site has been so helpful, it's great to know that I am not alone, and that others have successfully transitioned from the guilt back to God again and have found peace and happiness. I am going to read Romans and Galations. I've read the whole bible, but it's been a while, I'm sure I will see it with fresh eyes. I will keep looking in on this site, it is comforting.

• still looking
    still looking

A guest,

Thank you. It took me a while to write the lsst post, I didn't know what to leave in or what to take out so I must have been writing while you posted yours. I will read those scriptures as well. I guess I am so used to needing the bible, I'm always afraid I will turn into one of those religious zealots you see on TV following some guy who throws a coat at you while speaking in tongues if I don't ground myself in God's word. Maybe I will mature out of that. And maybe God through Jesus will help me through this as well. It's probably still some of the residual leftover of indoctrination.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Welcome still looking.

So sorry you have been so ill, EBV is a terrible illness.

You have been given some really good advice about going to Christ. You already recognise the W/T Org does not take you to Him, infact encouraging/demanding ones to reject the bread and wine every year is the same as rejecting Christ.

Leave the W/T Org behind, it has no place for ones with faith.

Enjoy your journey and I pray that your health will improve.

Peace to you

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome still looking!

Indeed, the question is not first and foremost "where" but "to whom".

John 6:68-69 (English Standard Version)

68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."

Jesus has eternal life.

John 14:6 (English Standard Version)

6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

JWs do not take the life He offers.

John 6:53-58 (English Standard Version)

53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever."

When considering other issues of doctrine it would be wise place far more importance on Jesus' own words than the teachings of any man Hebrews 1

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Some time after I worked out that I had been raised in a cult, I realised that everything I thought I knew about god was the result of the culture I had been born into.

Even my holy book was chosen for me by an accident of birth. I could just as easily been born into a family that blows up buses in market places to buy their tickets to heaven.

Nothing I 'knew' could be trusted. It would be foolish for me to cherry pick my parent's religion for doctrines I liked. Their prophesies might have failed not because that had a wrong explanition of their holy book, but because they had the wrong book. How would I know? I had to chuck everything out and start from scratch or I risked making just as big a fool of myself as my parents had.

• poppers
    poppers

Why do you have to go somewhere else? Can't you see that that is just substituting one set of beliefs for another? Do you equal beliefs with truth? If that's the case then you must also look into beliefs other than Christianity. When I say that, notice your initial reaction - that will tell you something about how beliefs have already put a fence around you. Perhaps the "answer" to truth is not found in beliefs at all; have you considered this?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I'm always afraid I will turn into one of those religious zealots you see on TV following some guy who throws a coat at you while speaking in tongues if I don't ground myself in God's word.

If you TRULY "ground" yourself in God's Word, dear Still, I can't see this happening. I mean, throwing a coat (huh?). I can see you/someone speaking in tongues (because that is one of the gifts of God's holy spirit, which God's Word... Christ (John 1:1, 1:14; Revelation 19:13) can give you, indeed pour out upon you - and contrary to yet another false teaching of the WTBTS such gifts have NOT "ceased" - they are simply "partial" versus complete and will cease when "that which is complete"... which is, again, Christ... the one through whom all COMPLETE wisdom, knowledge, prophesying, discerning spirits, healing, languages, etc., comes... arrives - 1 Corinthians 13:8-10).

Until such time, it might help to remember that "perfect love (Matthew 5:43-48)... casts ALL fear... outside". Fear, dear one... is not a fruit of God's holy spirit. Rather, it is a tool... of our Adversary.

I often wonder if the Jw's, like the Muslim suicide bombers, believe to die in Jehovah's service is the ticket to the holy land. They always touted stories about people who crossed crocodile filled rivers to make it to a meeting, or had some other near death encounter or actually died.

Yes, dear Still. These believe, like some others, that one can get into God's good graces (even heaven) through such "works." They don't understand that ANY grace by God is due to HIS granting of mercy. It is UNdeserved kindness... not deserved kindness. So whatever "we" believe we are doing in "God's service," is probably what we SHOULD have done, anyway, good for nothing that we truly are. God requires one thing of us: faith. In His Son and Christ. Not just believing "in" him or following his words as recorded in the Bible. But faith that says he gave his life, rose from the dead... and is ALIVE... so that he speaks to us "from the heavens" (Hebrews 12:25) ... the kingdom... which is inside you.

I am going to read Romans and Galatians

Both are very good letters to read; however, keep in mind that Paul sometimes taught a "different" Christ than the apostles. If what you read comports with what Christ taught... and now tells you... then good. If not, you might want to ask our Lord if is it true/accurate and if not... consider discarding it. I'm just sayin'... even Paul was "human" and his letters werent' [always] "inspired."

Again, I bid you peace... and ears to hear when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take 'life's water'... the holy spirit of God... which spirit is poured out from the innermost parts of His and Christ, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, who is the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit... FREE!"

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• still looking
    still looking

Poppers,

Why do you have to go somewhere else? Can't you see that that is just substituting one set of beliefs for another?

That is what I am coming to understand. Trading one dictator for another, neither of which might be correct.

Do you equal beliefs with truth?

Relatively speaking, yes. If what you believe in is a lie, what good is it?

If that's the case then you must also look into beliefs other than Christianity. When I say that, notice your initial reaction - that will tell you something about how beliefs have already put a fence around you.

If I don't believe that Christ is my saviour, and his father is God, then where does it go from there. Worshipping trees, rocks? Then it starts to go into paganism or atheisim.

Perhaps the "answer" to truth is not found in beliefs at all; have you considered this?

I don't know how to reply to that.

I still believe the bible is the book of God, it's translations and it's preachers can skew things, but the overall message is there. I think it is the conduit that brings us to God and Jesus, without that, how would we even know about them?

Going to any religion to me is kind of like the saying, those who don't stand for something, will fall for anything. Jim Jones, David Koresh, the militant Muslims all come to mind.

Maybe you can explain it in a different way I could understand, it's probably going over my head.

• Inkie
    Inkie

Still Looking, you wrote:

I still believe the bible is the book of God, it's translations and it's preachers can skew things, but the overall message is there. I think it is the conduit that brings us to God and Jesus, without that, how would we even know about them?

Many still do believe that the Bible is the "book of God," as you call it. Many believe that the Bible is the "Word of God." Yet, the Bible never anywhere ever says any such thing. Indeed, the Bible states that the one whom you know as Jesus Christ is the "Word of God" (Revelation 19:3 and John 1:1, 14). And, yes, the many translations and definitely preachers can and have "skewed things." History is rampant with such 'skewing.' You said that it is the "conduit that brings us to God and Jesus." However, the Bible tells us that the Law Covenant, which is contained in the Bible, is the pedagogue which what? Which leads us to Christ! So that, if we finally get to Christ, we no longer need the pedagogue--no longer need the Law Covenant or the Bible. Understand?

Note the word "until" at Galatians 3:24.

--Inkie

• LotusFlower1
    LotusFlower1

2 things I would like to say is: How are you sure that the cross and the trinity are not correct? Have you researched and read the Bible entirely? I ask this because the jw's have a way with words and selecting documents and quotes that don't include the whole picture. I was a jw for 20 years, but never actually read the Bible. When I did recently, I was shocked with how many things the jws got wrong! While I don't comprehend the Trinity completely, after reading the Bible, I can see why many people do believe in it. I still need to do some more reading.

Best wishes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit