Why I think Jesus spoke against Organized Religion

by sabastious 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

It's one thing to evaluate someone's actions and offer advice, it's entirely something different to enforce some action based off of your evalution.

I think you are reading the concept into the text that you want it to say. Jesus isn't talking in that text about enforcing anything upon anyone. He's talking about someone trying to help a brother overcome a small sin while he himself is guilty of much greater sin. There is nothing in that text or the context that speaks to the idea of actions being enforced by some organized religious authority. (Sorry about the italics in this paragraph, can't seem to shut them off)

I really don't want to get into a semantics debate.

I don't see how you can avoid it if you want to discuss this topic. In we can't agree on what "judging" means, how can we reach any resolution on whether Jesus was taking a stand against organized religion when He used the term?

Interesting excerpt. Jesus ate with tax collectors and he made sure the Gentiles had provision for salvation before he left as well. So what does that even mean?

It means that those who were removed from the church because of some moral issue were to be treated like anyone else that was not a member of the church. They weren't to be harrassed, they weren't to be utterly shunned, they weren't to be mistreated. They were just to be considered as not Christian and in need of repentance, like any other sinner. They could be treated with kindness, they could be eaten with, they could visit you in your home, and presumably, they could also be encouraged to abandon their sinful ways and return to God, with great rejoicing if and when they returned to Him.

I think he is advocating close fellowship. If a good friend of yours was doing something potentially harmful to himself would you not try to help him? And if he didn't want help would you not try to enlist others to try to help him?

Calling that organized religion is follly. That is just friendship, imo.

The problem with that position is that, when all the verses are considered, Jesus has outlined a specific, progressive procedure that culminates in the matter to be taken before the church, and which might result in the sinner being removed from the special sort of fellowship that was to exist among believers. A reasonable reading of the text implies more than mere interpersonal friendship. Clearly there is some sort of organized activity there, and Jesus attributes that activirty to "the church." To miss the existence of an organized church in that text is to impose an unreasonable presupposition upon it, in my opinion.

I think Jesus was utilizing the church for a good cause, not advocating it as necessary.

Well, according to what He said, He was the founder of the church: Matt. 16:23 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Now, while there is some controversy between Protestants and Catholics as to the antecedent of the word "rock" in that verse, it's still crystal clear from either position that Jesus is the one building the church. It's His church, not one that He borrowed from someone else to utilize as He saw fit.

Care to define what "treating them like any other non-member" means if it doesn't mean shunning?

It means just what it says. Treating them exactly as you would treat any other person who is not a member of the church. Not avoiding them, not refusing to greet them, not leaving the room if they enter, but not extending the hand of spiritual fellowship to them either. My mail carrier is not a member of my church, but I say hello to her when I see her. I have a very friendly relationship with my doctor, though he is of a different faith than I am. I have no idea what the religious faith(s) of the workers at the local drugstore are, but I try to be pleasant with them when I go there. I have had dinner many times with co-workers without necessarily knowing what their beliefs are, or even if I knew that I disagreed with their beliefs. I don't shun my mailperson, doctor, druggist or co-workers, but I don't treat them as my brothers/sisters in Christ, either. That is how a person who is removed from the church is to be treated. Like anyone else in the world.

No, the problem is Organized Religion because absolute power corrupts absolutely. And Organized Religion always finds a way to dull out absolute power to someone.

You're certainly entitled to your beliefs in this area, and I'm not even saying that there isn't a grain of truth in what you are saying - at least in some instances. Where I think you are going wrong is in trying to insert these concepts into the mouth of Jesus.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dear tec is right, dear Sab (peace to you, both!). Christ was not an apostate to Judaism - he was the only one who completely KEPT the Law. It was the religious leaders, priests, scribes, Pharisees, Sadducees, etc., who had apostacized from the Way. They were so busy keeping the "tenth of mint", etc., that they overlooked the "weightier" matters of the Law, namely justice, mercy, and faith.

everyhting needs an "organization" of some sorts of course

The problem, dear PSacto (peace to you, as well), is that there IS an organization. You stated it above: one Lord, one Master. One Leader. One teacher. One God. If everyone just followed HIM... rather than be concerned about what the next one is doing... there would be organization. Because everyone would consider himself or herself a LEAST one... and thus a servant to all others.

Two things stand in the way of this, unfortunately: (1) Those of mankind who wish to enslave others so as to be followed, and (2) those of mankind who wish to be enslaved and follow others of mankind. Both of these exist for one reason: MOST of mankind do not know how to live as a FREE people, but rather are enslaved... by their own bodies, hearts, minds, thinking, beliefs, etc. As a result, they either enslave others... or need to be enslaved and led by others. Thus, they both perpetuate and/or need "rules" to live by/bind others: the "thou shalls" and "thou shalt nots." Because most WILL do evil/revile against others... without such laws to stop them.

Dearest BTS (peace to you!), I submit to you that the "proof" you're looking for lies in this: that Christ spoke against the current state of the one organized religion that he recognized, Judaism, and gave his life to REPLACE that "organization" with another... that required no such earthly organization... but a spiritual one... which no man can "organize" without creating yet another false religion.

Because in THIS world, an "organized" group requires a leader, if not leaders... to maintain/oversee that organization. Those who can be seen... and with the eyes of the flesh. This, however, is walking by sight... NOT by faith. Faith, however, allows one to see even that... indeed, the Ones... which cannot be seen with the eyes of the flesh. Colossians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:17; Hebrews 11:27

I bid you all peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Jesus' core teaching: Think for yourself.

Satan's core teaching: Think for yourself.

The difference: Satan didn't have Paul to twist his message, so Jehovah had to debase Satan so people would think "Think for yourself" is wicked. Jesus had Paul to twist "Think for yourself" to "Do as Jesus did and what Jesus tells you to". Whether Paul did this on purpose or Jehovah misled him to do it doesn't matter: The results are the same.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well said WT.

If I had to choose between Satan and God [or his supposed son/incarnation], I would have to pick Satan. God murdered far more than did Satan.

I think Satan and Jesus both opposed religion. Well, they would have if they were real. But in the mythological/fantasy world of the Bible they seemed to oppose it.

Jeff

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Guys, many of you are coming to Paul with your WT blinders on.

Yes, he was a tad overly opinionated ( he was a pharisee afterall) but no less than James or Peter, it was Paul after all the reamed Peter a new one when Peter played the hypocrit against the Gentiles.

This is Paul, in his own words, in his own hand, speaking in general and NOT to a SPECIFIC situation:

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; 5 it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The problem, dear PSacto (peace to you, as well), is that there IS an organization. You stated it above: one Lord, one Master. One Leader. One teacher. One God. If everyone just followed HIM... rather than be concerned about what the next one is doing... there would be organization. Because everyone would consider himself or herself a LEAST one... and thus a servant to all others.

Ah Shelby ( love to you as always), if only people were that strong...

Even the Hebrews when God used to address them "personally" still wanted kings and leaders to lead them.

I think that, for many ( if not most) there is a burden of self-responsibility when it comes to God and they would rather have someone tell them what and how to believe that have the "burden" of doing it themselves, for some JW's that I have spoken to it almost seems like they believe they have this "excuse" of "we are doing what God's organization is telling Us, if THEY are wrong it's not OUR fault".

Unfortunately that is NOT the case and we are ALL INDIVIDUALLY responsible for ourselves.

I think many people feel a comfort when someone else can do the thinking for them.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

NeonMadman's logic is irrefutable.

BTS

• tec
    tec

I think many people feel a comfort when someone else can do the thinking for them.

I think this is true. There is much less personal accountability, as you said. I know that I was so tired of looking for the truth, I just wanted the JW's to convince me that they were right and so I could then do whatever they told me. It almost happened, but thankfully, not.

I don't think it's true anyway. We are all personally accountable for our actions. I think those who mislead are accountable for their actions, which includes misleading others.

Two things stand in the way of this, unfortunately: (1) Those of mankind who wish to enslave others so as to be followed, and (2) those of mankind who wish to be enslaved and follow others of mankind. Both of these exist for one reason: MOST of mankind do not know how to live as a FREE people, but rather are enslaved... by their own bodies, hearts, minds, thinking, beliefs, etc. As a result, they either enslave others... or need to be enslaved and led by others. Thus, they both perpetuate and/or need "rules" to live by/bind others: the "thou shalls" and "thou shalt nots." Because most WILL do evil/revile against others... without such laws to stop them.

I feel the truth in everything you just said here, Shelby. (missed you lately ) True freedom can be quite a terrifying prospect.

Peace also to you,

Tammy

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Jesus may or may not have spoken against organized religion. We will never know, because we are assured by Christians on this very board that the Bible is not inerrant.

That being the case, all we have is hearsay of what Jesus is alleged to have said. Even these ancient biblical notes are often contradictory. Only those whom Jesus has personally spoken to can say with certainty what Jesus thinks of organized religion.

Until he speaks to me, I shall remain ignorant. No jokes about my ignorance please - you will offend my gods

• jay88
    jay88

GLADIATOR- if God and Jesus can speak to Freddy and the GB,...he sure as hell can give you a few seconds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit