Jehovah's Witness deal riles Aurora neighbors

by LisaRose 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

News article about an assembly hall being built in the Denver area http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16411460

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Yes, the ASSembly HELL might "close at 4:30" but they fail to mention this means that attendees won't leave until six due to "spiritual association" and cleaning, leading to, yes, more rush hour traffic.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

"When Serenity Ridge was developed by Neumann Homes of Illinois, there was was an agreement to build a pool and clubhouse adjacent in the next phase of the project. " Looks like the residents bought into a neighborhood based on a promise that turned out to be fraudulent. Looks like they were sold a deal under false pretenses. But then, who needs a pool in Colorado? (Unless its indoor heated). Perhaps there is a conspiracy to lower the value of homes, get the entire objectionable worldy neighborhood to move out....and then move in select JW members. Maybe the next big move for the cult will be exclusive JW villages.

• VM44
    VM44

Jehovah's Witness deal riles Aurora neighbors

By Carlos Illescas
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 10/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

AURORA — Residents in the Serenity Ridge neighborhood are upset by plans to sell nearby land for a massive Jehovah's Witness assembly hall, the first such hall in Colorado.

The 50,000-square-foot hall would be built on about 22 acres on the southeast corner of East Smoky Hill Road and South Oak Hill Way in southeast Aurora. It would seat 2,900 people and have up to 1,000 parking spots, according to preliminary plans.

The property had been slated for the second phase of the Serenity Ridge neighborhood, which was to include a pool and clubhouse.

But the original developer went out of business and the new group that bought it from the bank is negotiating a sale to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

"I'm angry at the situation," said Carrelle DeSimone, who lives in Serenity Ridge, which is across the street from the proposed assembly hall. "There's a right place to build that, and it's not here."

Neighbors worry the assembly hall will bring unwanted traffic and lower their property values.

As it is now, there is only one access point into the property, with no traffic light at the intersection. The added traffic would clog neighborhood streets, they say.

Richard Frank, one of the investors who own the property, said he understands residents' concerns but said the assembly hall will not have as big an impact as some neighbors think.

The assembly hall would not be in use on Mondays through Thursdays and would be open only 42 weekends a year and would close at 4:30 p.m. each day. He also said the property would be gated and that the building would sit in a valley below area homes and the roadway.

"The building is well set off the street. You won't even be able to see it," Frank said.

No deal has been finalized, but one seems imminent.

"We are in serious negotiations with the developer," said Don Day, chairman of the Denver Colorado Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witness.

Day said concerns from the neighborhood will be addressed when a site plan is submitted to the city.

Solutions could include adding more access to the assembly hall site so that the surrounding neighborhoods would see less traffic, and a traffic light at the existing intersection.

Jim Sayre, manager of zoning and development review for Aurora, said the property is zoned for medium density and allows for places of worship.

There are fewer than 50 Jehovah's Witness Assembly Halls across the United States and none in Colorado, Day said. They are used for family Bible education, he said. There are smaller Kingdom Halls throughout the state and country.

There are about 22,500 Jehovah's Witnesses in Colorado, Frank said.

Members are expected to participate in door-to-door evangelism, a minimum of 10 hours a month, which includes distribution of the Watchtower magazine.

When Serenity Ridge was developed by Neumann Homes of Illinois, there was was an agreement to build a pool and clubhouse adjacent in the next phase of the project.

But after Frank and his group bought the property, they let an August deadline pass for the clubhouse and pool in the original site plan.

While residents of Serenity Ridge are concerned, some living in neighboring Tallyn's Reach said it's OK for the assembly hall to be built as long as safety measures are taken.

Keri Spring of Tallyn's Reach said her children cross East Smoky Hill Road near the proposed assembly hall on their way to school.

"I have no preference," she said. "But if they are going to build it, there needs to be safety precautions."

Staff writer Electa Draper contributed to this report Carlos Illescas: 303-954-1175 or [email protected]

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for posting that.

Richard Frank, one of the investors who own the property, said he understands residents' concerns but said the assembly hall will not have as big an impact as some neighbors think.

He doesn't really know and doesn't care. Ultimately, it will probably be done because the first group went bankrupt. Cult money speaks louder than empty lots. The article tackles two issues and merges them. It seems that current residents are losing a pool and clubhouse and gaining the JW's. Of course that will not help property values.

Jim Sayre, manager of zoning and development review for Aurora, said the property is zoned for medium density and allows for places of worship.

Yeah, but even a megachurch wouldn't be as big as an assembly hall.

Members are expected to participate in door-to-door evangelism, a minimum of 10 hours a month, which includes distribution of the Watchtower magazine.

I like how they don't do research anymore. There is no 10-hour minimum. They count everyone that puts in 1-hours, some even put in 15-minutes.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I like how they don't do research anymore. There is no 10-hour minimum. They count everyone that puts in 1-hours, some even put in 15-minutes. And that neighborhood will forever be picking up their littera-trash from the sidewalks and doorsteps. The neighborhood will be an easy target to drop all the mags and say they have done their "time".

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Ok, so couple of things to look out for here:

Access is poor, and they are going to build it in a valley, sounds like someone is trying to MAKE this site work for an assembly hall. It wouldn't surprise me if the group that bought it had at least one Witness involved with it or, perhaps the facilitator of this transaction is a witness.

The reason I say this is a site was made to work here in Florida at the Daytona Beach site and there was a brother involved who got a lot of money from the sale and the site prep costs were $1,000,000 more than anticipated because this piece of swampland was selected due to this brothers involvement. There were much better sites that would have cost millions less in the purchase price as well as the poor site selection that was made by the bros. But of course it is no fault of the Watchtower and they just have to pass these costs along to the rank and file. Let's see the R&F pay for the site and improvements, then they pay to use the building, and they don't even own the building.

The other thing to consider is that if the neighborhood is smart they will ask for a park or public pool or something. The watchtower will give them something to hush their mouths if they just ask. At least they will get something out of this raw deal. Because they bring up that the facility won't be used during the week but will be used, 42 WEEKENDS PER YEAR. There are only 52 weekends a year. It will be in use when these people are trying to enjoy their weekends and let their kids play outside and go places. Imagine all of the logical traffic concerns these people have.

One good point that was brought out in the article was:

They are expected to go into service a MINIMUM of 10 hours a month. They are expected to place the Watchtower. That won't appeal to anyone who would be interested or firm up someone resolve to tell them to get lost when they come to the door.

I wonder if God expects a minimum of 10 hours per month, ahhh what am I thinking????

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Maybe the Watchtower can appease the residents by offering the baptismal pool for swimming, LOL! I feel sorry for this neighborhood. More often than not, traffic is going to be horrendous on the weekends.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Guess which neighbourhood is going to be worked by JW`s in the FS.. "Every" Weekend?..

Who wants up to 1,000 extra cars in the Neighbourhood,every frigg`n weekend?..

Can you imagine the Air Quality on Weekends?..The traffic jams?..

I wouldn`t want them in my neighbourhood..

..................... ...OUTLAW

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heh, heh... I'll have to drive by that location...

Wish I had 50 copies of "Crisis of Conscience" to pass out in the neighborhood - I think I WILL take my 1984 version of "Crisis of Conscience" and leave it with whichever one of the neighbors seems most opposed to having the assembly hall built there...

And guess what I am SOOO tempted to do, "if" I happened to have a copy of the latest elders book...

Hell, I might even take pictures and post them on this thread....

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit