Has This Site Ever Hurt You In Your Journey Out Of The JW Religion?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

This site has gone through many metamorphosis over the years. I believe it is a kinder, less edgy place tan it was a few years ago.

I wonder how many people were helped versus turned off by this place.

I think you have to have a thick skin in order to remain and enjoy it here.

Thank God for my elephant skin!

• done4good
    done4good

No.

However, while I was already out for a year or two by this time, "Trevorgate" proved to be a bit of a test...It was a a cautionary wake up call I believe for many of us here at the time.

Overall my experience here has been very positive, on several levels.

d4g

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I found my way out, joined this site 3 months ago, and despite the sometimes edginess it has helped me observe similar situations to mine, to vent, to get advice and so on. I like it.
  • maksutov
    maksutov
    I left 5 years ago, and checked out several sites. I found this one too abrasive at the time so I joined the yuku one. I agree it has mellowed now though, and it seems to me the one with the most interesting topics at the moment. It can still get a bit dicey in here though, which puts me off posting much.
  • minimus
    minimus
    Still, the best JW discussion site around. Kudos!!!
  • Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy
    It has been a good experience for me. I haven't been on much lately but I think it is because I am in a good place but when I first got out it was a life saver for me. I appreciate all of the hard work Simon and his wife do to keep this site up and running. I know there are those who have gotten into arguments and left or had their feelings hurt by others but if there is a topic I am not interested in I just scroll over it instead of getting into the drama. I wish more people would realize that in life you are not going to get along with everyone and the ones you don't want to be friends with you just keep moving because there are a lot of great people on here to let a few spoil the experience for you. Just because most of us were JW's or still are does not mean we all think alike, will be friends nor are we in the same place with our recovery. I belong to a few ex JW sites and since I faded 3 years ago so many have popped up. This was the first site I joined and the only one I was on the first year. They all have their pros and cons but for me this site has had a lot of good information and it got me on the right track which I am grateful for.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Still, the best JW discussion site around.

I agree, but it's kind of a double-edge sword.

The site is great given the volume of discussion, but the biggest "talkers" tend to be the angriest and/or ones who have an axe to grind. The more well-adjusted folks seem to, on average, post less. I imagine the most well-adjusted don't post at all.

• menrov
    menrov

Not sure if it is the best among all sites. Like neverendingjouney says, some of the biggest contributors seem to be very angry and sometimes makes it harder to read their posts. I understand the feelings though.

What I like here is that news is shared rapidly.

Personally, I like more discussions around doctrine, how these have evolved over the decades, the contradictions etc.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Once I woke from the JW dream and could recognize its scam, my BS meter is pretty accurate, so no, this site has not hurt me in any way. Its been the opposite actually. Thank you Simon.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I think I came across this site some years ago and was turned off...I think by outlaw's abrasive humor. No offense outlaw, I just wasn't ready for it yet! You are the one person I remember from back then. So either now I'm used to it/feel the same way, or you have become more lighthearted with your posts/pictures, and they are more humorous than offensive. Possibly a combination of all those factors, but probably mostly the change is in me. I think back then freeminds was easier for me to swallow. But in recent history I hadn't looked at anything apostate for a few years. Now I'm pretty much addicted to this site...found it a couple months ago again, wanting to research some possible changes in JW theology. It's fun :).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit