Was the legend about Smurfs being demonic just an urban legend, or was it mentioned in the literature?

by IsaacJ22 43 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

The best scary bedtime stories came out of the missionaries from the Caribbean, hands coming out of the TV set and turning the channel was one of the best

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

They never mentioned them by name, but ambiguous "be careful with the toys your children play with/music they listen to/shows they watch" anecdotes weren't exactly uncommon. You could often figure out what/who they were talking about, especially with musical groups. I bet if you went back through publications of the '80s, you could find something thinly veiled and pointed in their direction.

• blondie
    blondie

There was nothing in the pubs but it spread by word of mouth. Not known in my area until a brother from the DC platform said it was a story and one that put jws in bad light and jws should stop spreading it. It had NEVER happened.

Stopping a rumor in the WTS is like trying to put out the sun with a drop of spit on your finger.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Well the smurf legend even reached Australian kingdom halls. Many many years ago we heard the story (JW myth/legend) of the smurf toy being brought to the hall by a bible studies child or a witness kid and the toy getting up and shouting out during the meeting and then running out of the hall. So everybody got rid of their smurf toys and even years and years later it was 'known' that smurfs were demonised!

Hopscotch

• MarcusScriptus
    MarcusScriptus

Additional details I forgot to add:

Though the toys were purchased at the so-called haunted Toys-R-Us in Sunnyvale, California, the events that sparked the rumors occurred in San Antonio, Texas not many miles from where I was living at the time.

According to what I know from the circuit overseer none of the toys “came to life” as the legends described. The phenomena in the house were limited to a few small objects reportedly moving about on their own. The “attack” itself was limited to toys on a shelf that apparently flew across the room on their own and landed on top of sleeping children (I do not know how many were involved or their actual ages, but I would guess that the main subject was an adolescent as is common to what those who subscribe to paranormal studies explain).

However no one, including the children, witnessed any of the objects in question jump across the room as the children were asleep at the time and the parents were in their own room. At least one of the children had a mark that was claimed to have been made by being struck with some force by one of the toys. The toys were small, solid figurines, not plush toys as were developed after the cartoon premiered.

None of the objects was ever reported to dance around, and it was just unfortunate that one of the objects reportedly purchased at the Toys-R-Us was the small Peyo Smurf figurine.

The Toys-R-Us is located at 130 E. El Camino Street in Sunnyvale, California, about 30 miles from San Francisco. The circuit overseer and I had discussed the events over the course of two different assemblies in 1990, one held in San Antonio, Texas and one in a much smaller city to the southeast called Corpus Christi.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Geez, and I just bought a gnome for my garden.

Gnomes are demonic little people who live underground. Transformed into the Dwarfs of Snow White, and later into the Smurfs.

I wasn't allowed to own a Smurf, but I now own a "Made in China" gnome. It is evil, cuz it's made in China! LOL

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Fortunately it did not come to Scandinavia...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thanks for that Markus.

I got as far as typing 'sunnyvale haunt' into my Google and it suggested sunnyvale haunted toys r us as a search.

It provides some entertaining links.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

Smurfs did have occult immagry. Gargamel cast spells on an inverted pentagram.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I concur with hopscotch

The smurf stories certainly did the rounds in S.E.Qld during the 80`s

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit