Jehovahs Witnesses have a lot more mental problems and much higher suicide rate

by TastingFreedom 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hi, Palmtree!!

You mean Malice is in this thread?? (yawn... ) I hadn't even noticed...

Fitting, though... Since she/he illustrates the mental health problems of the average JW rather well...

Zid

• clarity
    clarity

For sure Zid, ......... hey is that the alice, of alice doesn't live here anymore? I'm pretty new here but zoomed rite over that gobbledegook first day!!!

........"I don't argue the point that a lot of Witnesses have mental health issues. But, the Swedish study, as an example, used those imprisoned for their beliefs. Do we know how long they were in prison? I personally know I would certainly not do well physically or mentally under such circumstances."

Emptyinside - good thought but doesn't the fact that JW'S by their religious beliefs, put themselves in such unbelieveable, unnessessary positions of undue stress. Who else does this!!!!! So ya they are quite NUTS!

Maybe all Watchtower craziness rubbed off on Jerry Bergman after he did an in depth study of them,lol! How does it work oh yeah, ... bad associations, spoil ............

c

• flipper
    flipper

JANNER'S take, " witnesses somewhat removed from reality ". Yes, I'd say that's a pretty accurate assessment- if not being a little kindly about the real situation. But in seriousness - we have the leaders of the WT society to blame for the rank and file's abnormal mental health condition's. The unfulfilled promises and expectations of an alleged " paradise " where they are promised they will " never die " and " live forever " with no " sickness & pain ". I mean- how decetful and hurtfully criminal is it of the WT society leaders to promise this- when they will never or are UNABLE to deliver it ??

Is it any small wonder why so many JW's are emotionally and mentally off ? The WT society keeps them controlled through guilt and fear- a surefire way of inculcating mental insanity. And then the putting down of receiving ANY Psychiatric help or professional counseling - where is a Jehovah's Witness to turn if they are depressed or suffering mental instability ? They are told to turn to service, meetings, and the elders. Which spirals them into even MORE depression. It'a a vicious cycle to be sure ! Glad we have JWN and other internet ex-JW boards ! Great thread Tasting Freedom- thanks for posting it

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree 100% with Flipper! I have seen it first-hand with BOTH of my parents, my sister, and too many extended family members to name! And I'm mad as hell about it!!!!! And I haven't been to a meeting in 37 years!!!!!

I'm so glad we have this forum where we can vent!

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm with you scarred for life,

vent, let it out, breath

• villabolo
    villabolo

Clarity, your font size does not live up to your name. Please readjust.

VILLABOLO

• villabolo
    villabolo

I think that the JW mental problem begins partially with the fact it it attracts people who already have problems and find the easy acceptance of the Witnesses as well as the fleshed out projections of a material Paradise attractive. People who suffer from chronic depression are prime candidates.

Of course, once they, and even normal people, get their heads in the JW vise grip things get worse. I remember a saying about the JWs (James Penton) that goes: "If you already have a problem, when you join them, they will make it worse. If you don't, they will give you one".

In short, JWs attract more mentally unstable people to begin with. Then they make things worse.

I spoke to Bergman a few times during the 1980 purge. He struck me as sincere, although he was getting a bit unraveled making comments about the organization expediting the deaths of the very elderly in order to cash in on their wills.

He mailed me one of his studies. It was not that impressive.

VILLABOLO

• garyneal
    garyneal

Dr Jerry Bergman was one of the first people whose life I read about who open my eyes to what's going on within the religion. My wife and my sister-in-law have had to take Paxil and my wife in particular feels like that having any kind of 'fun' outside the bOrg would incur God's wrath.

In my own experience, I used to go to a very legalistic church who would press and press its member to do more and I used to come home very depressed and almost suicidal. Whether Jerry Bergman's research is credible or not, I believe his conclusions are accurate.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

bookmarked

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Emptyinside - good thought but doesn't the fact that JW'S by their religious beliefs, put themselves in such unbelieveable, unnessessary positions of undue stress. Who else does this!!!!! So ya they are quite NUTS!"

HAH HAH HA HA!!! GOOD ONE, Clarity!!

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit