New elders' manual - a few more details

by sir82 65 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Per a recent BOE letter:

-- New manual will be softcover

-- Elders can keep their old elder manual if they choose

-- Elders warned never to leave the new manual where others can see it - it is for elders only (bolded in letter also)

-- A new term will be introduced - "Brazen conduct" will be alongside, or even replace, the term "loose conduct" as it "more accurately reflects the original Greek word translated 'loose conduct' in the New World translation"

That's pretty much all of the semi-interesting stuff. The bulk of the letter dealt with which chapters to read prior to the next elders school, what to do (re: the textbook) if an elder moves in or out or is newly appointed, etc.

The most surprising things to me were (1) Softcover? Really? You're so cash-strapped you can't even afford to hard-bind a few thousand books for your "elite"? and (2) "Brazen conduct" is a "better translation" than the NWT's "loose conduct" - seems to be a bit of a dig at dearly departed Freddy.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Softcover- you can bet a bunch of elders will want to run out and get hardcovers from [the stores formerly known as] Kinkos.
    I can see some directive not to do that come out, else the "worldly" store staff will see the secret book and their eyes might burn.

Brazen vs. Loose. ???? Hmm. "Brazen" seems to be more about the attitude of the conduct and "loose" seems to say something about the conduct itself. That could actually be a softening on minor infractions if the violators are willing to kiss some elders asses.

• donuthole
    donuthole

"loose conduct" was kind of that catch-all for everything from fondling a breast to getting into a fist-fight to not being obedient to the elders. Wonder if "brazen conduct" will be similarly used or if they will give it a definition upgrade to fit the shiny, new term.

How long before the new book goes on-line?

• sir82
    sir82
    How long before the new book goes on-line?

Roughly 24 hours after it is shipped to the congregations, via some "rogue" older or 2 (or 1000).

And within a week there will be dozen online and/or you-tube analyses of the contents.

Actually, I'm also surprised they didn't implement some stronger controls to, if not prevent it, at least have a better idea where the leaks are.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I like "brazen". That's classy and bold. Kind of has a ring of "being outspoken" and "having courage and character".

Loose conduct always had a ring of something sexual, like being a slut.

I think "loose conduct" was an evil way to use a word to assault your character and make people's imaginations wander.

Brazen has a triumphant sound to it.

Brazen (bold) apostates!

Yes, good word.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Brazen to me is more of a "catch all" phrase where the BOE can use it with impunity as to where they see fit. It can cover sexual issues to something where someone is "too bold or shameless" in their thoughts/actions. Personally this will cause huge problems because this will give the BOE more supposed "power".

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

ouuu I like brazen ......I shall now liked to be referred to as ' that Brazen ,Brassy ,Blonde bomb -shell '......

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks for the update, sir...

Brazen vs. Loose. ???? Hmm. "Brazen" seems to be more about the attitude of the conduct and "loose" seems to say something about the conduct itself. That could actually be a softening on minor infractions if the violators are willing to kiss some elders asses.

Actually I kind of interpreted it a little differently. I guess it depends on if it "replaces" loose conduct or is introduced "alongside".

I agree that brazen seems to be more about the attitude than the actual conduct, which to me signifies that they'll now have the means at their disposal to punish, er, I mean counsel, anyone whose attitude they don't like. They no longer have to wait until some actual loose conduct is committed...they can go after anyone who displays a bad attitude or questions authority. This way they're nipping in the bud the actions of anyone who might be in the early stages of openly questioning or doubting...

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly
    I agree that brazen seems to be more about the attitude than the actual conduct, which to me signifies that they'll now have the means at their disposal to punish, er, I mean counsel, anyone whose attitude they don't like. They no longer have to wait until some actual loose conduct is committed...they can go after anyone who displays a bad attitude or questions authority. This way they're nipping in the bud the actions of anyone who might be in the early stages of openly questioning or doubting...

Exactly, they have more latitude to make their judgements.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Brazen" is a better English word to encompass non-sexual activity, IMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit