As a Witness - What did you Notice in How Elders Got Appointed ?

by flipper 68 Replies latest jw friends

• moogle
    moogle

I first became a witness at age 15. The congregation was full of relatives, and unless you were one of them, you didn't really exist. So the main criteria to becoming an elder or servant in that congregation was being related. Nothing elses mattered - relationships were your qualifications. One young man about 20 years of age (related to half of the congregation and nearly all of the elders) was averaging just over 5 hours a month, had gone to court a few months earlier for doing 90 mph down a 35mph road, had been caught smoking a year or two earlier, but he was still made a servant. He later became and elder...blood line was all that mattered.

In the next congregation I was told you had to 'polish the car' to become and elder - 'the car' was the PO. And that piece of sound spiritual advice came from another elder. If you put on a vaneer or spirituality and ran around after the PO - hey presto, next CO viist you were in. Needless to say these 2 congregations were riddled with problems and unhappiness. These congregations were run by sick minds and caused many heartaches for the insignificant plebs. But if you weren't a relative or member of the 'elders club' (as one sister whose hubby was an elder called it), you didn't really exist. On elderly brother told me once that he felt like he could turn up naked and none of them would have noticed.

The scriptural qualifications for becoming an elder were mostly irrelevant. Everyone knew it, but the elders were either too stupid to realise everyone knew it, or didn't really care what the plebs thought. Sad really but as they say, the culture of an organisation comes from the top!

Moogle.

• flipper
    flipper

MOOGLE- Interesting points you make. Which I definitely agree with. Seen it myself as well. It's amazing how " blood is thicker than water " in congregations where certain families dominate the population count in them. As you stated - men could be derelict and dysfunctional- and some elder family member would still gve that person " privileges " in the congregation. Crazy.

Regarding your comment about " polishing the car, or the P.O. " - I was told something similar by a friend who was an elder in the mid 1990's when they were considering re-appointing me as a M.S. My elder friend told me, " Mr. Flipper, you know what you have to do to reach out for a servant or elder position don't you ? I said , " Yes, be regular in field service, faithfully do all my talk assignments, study with my children , be a kind and good person. " My friend said, " No , that's not what you do. You have to cozy up to and get close to the popular presiding overseer or the top dog elders who have the pull in the congregation ! Don't get close to Brother older elder - he won't get you appointed ! " Needless to say - I was shocked at the time. And I never bothered to reach out for M.S. or Elder again. Too much politics being played. Couldn't do it.

You are right- the scriptural qualifications never really came into play. Just who kissed the important elders butts is what counted. I've never kissed up to anyone- thus I never made elder. Too independent to play the game. LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT for any comments & observations. Thanks ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

One word: Nepotism.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I think some of it anymore may be out of desperation. I say this only because 2 people I know of who are elders now are not what I would ever think they'd consider real elder material. One is my ex and he drinks excessively on a daily basis, the other I know of did some terrible things to my little brother when he was small and never really had to answer for it. The both them being appointed elders was what really made me question the supposed appointing through the holy spirit.

• flipper
    flipper

AKJEFF- Nepotism, exactly.

MISANTHROPIC- Good point. I think the WT society really is getting desperate and digging in the bottom of the barrel for elder material in men in the congregations. So many young men ages ( 18 to 35 ) are NOT reaching out anymore for M.S. or Elder - that they'll pick ANYBODY to serve just to beef up the numbers. I'm so sorry about what happened to your little brother and that the person who hurt him is now an elder. Definitely it shows holy spirit has NOTHING to do with these appointments

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I really wanted to be an Ministerial Servant or Elder when I was a kid. I've been out almost two years and I still on the fence on to come back or not.

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

I really wanted to be an Ministerial Servant or Elder when I was a kid. I've been out almost two years and I still on the fence on to come back or not.

• flipper
    flipper

PITCHESS CO-GEN- AS a kid we all have LOTS of dreams . I dreamed of being an MS ( which I was for 6 years ) or an elder when I grew up too, as it was EXPECTED of me. But once we grow up as an adult we find that the reality of being an elder is not all glitz and glamour and that in reality elders are just slaves of the WT society who are dishonest men just using the elders for their own purposes. And I wasn't going to get used.

If I may suggest reading Ray Franz's " Crisis of Conscience " or Steve Hassan's " combatting Cult Mind control " and " Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves " - I think this will help you get off the fence by reading these books

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit