Older man marries younger woman, yes; younger man marries older woman?

by dgp 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• dgp
    dgp

I understand that marriages between an older man and a much younger woman are a fact of JW life. The reasons I have seen include the lack of an available prospect, of the fact that the older man has some power in the congregation and therefore marrying him is something like an advantage. I wonder what the advantage can be, and I would appreciate any light on this (new or old).

But, how often does a younger man marry an older woman? What could be the reasons for such a marriage?

I'm aware that a possible answer is "they know why they married", but I'm wondering if you can see a common reason.

Of course I mean marriages within the WT.

Thanks

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

My man is almost 10 years younger than me.

What would you like to know?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The couple that studied with my parents back in 1970 were 8 or 9 years apart in age. She was older.

Elder in my last cong was 20 years older than his wife.

We also had publisher that was married to non-jw who was about 15 years younger than she.

Same cong, a well-to-do-businessman in his mid-50's married a 20-year-old.

Seems I've seen it quite a bit.

Their rationale, above whatever similar reason as non-jw's is that in the 'New System' all will become about the same age.

Whatever suits them, I guess.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Oh! A woman I grew up in my original cong was my age. She married someone I used to babysit when he was 3.

I still don't understand that one AT ALL. The marriage didn't last long. Less than 5 years.

She was always man-crazy. My guess is that the men her age were tired of her overly flirtateousness and she just could not 'land a man' so she decided to go after 'fresh meat'.

-Aude.

• Violia
    Violia

Marriages of men around 65+ and women in 20's. Now that is an age difference. Why would I do that? Money ( don't have to work ) position ( a member of the coveted second wives club -(the trophy wife) ,elders wife can tell everyone else to go to H*ll. I know of someone who did such . There is an old saying that men do this for nurse or purse. He is marrying you to take care of him when he gets really old or you have money. I saw Tracey Ullman do a skit on this. LOL funny.

I also know of a marriage of two pioneers , the man in his late 20s and he woman in her 60's. They married b/c the big A was coming and then age won't matter. This was prior 1975 and of course the Big A did not come. She died and he could hardly keep from smiling. He remarried right away.

Seinfeld mention

Elaine is dating a guy in his 60's for sex. She asks Jerry if he would date a woman 60. He said no. She asked what if she was vibrant? He said she would have to be so vibrant that she's be spinning.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My husband is five years younger than I am.

Has it occurred to you that people may get married because they love each other?

• Violia
    Violia

I see 5-10 between spouses as totally ok. I think a lot of people do. Men routinely do it and now women are too. 10 yrs means you share a decade. Over 10 yrs is usually what gets attention.

When you are teens 5 yrs is a lot but as adults it is nothing.

• robson
    robson

In either case both parties decide what better fits their lives and when a man marries a younger woman is just for me not right but also I think is allright for the man is they both strive for the marriage to last.

I know a brother from my cong who is 45 and she is 22 that is awkard not real love for what I see. He was not the only one available but he had material needs and so forth so it was an arrangement somehow.

As a man I can tell you that it won't look bad on you but she will get bored once you start wrinkling and she will look somewhere else that's a possibility also she will marry again if you die so what's the deal think about it.

there is this brother who is 40 and she was 15 when they married he died and she is still alone for more than 20 years that's reality.

it works either way for both parties men and women we just have to choose our life and there are plenty of options whether you want to experience what they feel or just simply thinking in it take your pick is how life works do what you can now.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Quite simply, aside from other consideratios, Jehovah's Witnesses must choose from a very small pool, which leads to odd couplings age-wise. This is further exacerbated by the fact that JW's think Armageddon is around the corner and that marriage is not necessarily til old age and natural death.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

In our area, an MTS elder sent to the congregation who is 39 years old just married a 19 year old sister. the same sister he was giving counsel and encouragement to since she was 17..... When this elder first came to the hall, he made a lot of single young sisters feel very uncomfortable around him. Weird bloke..... but if they are happy, good luck to them (I give it 6 years)

Mattieu.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit