"The year [add your favorite year] came and went."

by Lifeisfun 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Lifeisfun
    Lifeisfun

This is from the 1975 Yearbook, page 146:

The year 1925 came and went. Jesus’ anointed followers were still on earth as a class. The faithful men of old times—Abraham, David and others—had not been resurrected to become princes in the earth. (Ps. 45:16) So, as Anna MacDonald recalls: “1925 was a sad year for many brothers. Some of them were stumbled; their hopes were dashed. They had hoped to see some of the ‘ancient worthies’ [men of old like Abraham] resurrected. Instead of its being considered a ‘probability,’ they read into it that it was a ‘certainty,’ and some prepared for their own loved ones with expectancy of their resurrection. I personally received a letter from the sister who brought me the truth. She advised me that she had done wrong in what she had told me. . . . [But] I was appreciative of my liberation from Babylon. Where else could one go? I had learned to know and love Jehovah.”

1974 came and went, 1914 came and went, 1917 came and went, 1918 came and went, 1920 came and went, 1925 came and went, 1932 came and went, 1935 came and went, 1975 came and went...

...and every time it is said that assigning too much importance to a date was the fault of "some", or "they". But, who are those "some [brothers]" or "they"? Well, to put it in simple terms, all of those "expectations" were made public in printed literature and convention talks. It was not just that some brothers privately talked about it among themselves in their congregations, but rather were published and taught to all. So the only responsible for making people stumble for assigning importance to certain dates were the publishers, and NOT the readers.

• millie210
    millie210

The one I think is most striking is the year 2014.

Can you imagine how much would have been made of this if ANYTHING had been happening on the worlds political scene that the Org thought it could possibly tie in with Daniel or Revelation?

Instead they were quiet as a mouse. Skimming over it with all the delicacy of a butterfly over flowers. They much preferred hawking JW.Org and their big screen appearances of their spiritual rock star GBr's.

I sat through 2 days of the conventionand decided to make a small notation for each time they mentioned apostates versus how many times they mentioned 2014 being the 100th year anniversary of their linchpin teaching about 1914.

As you can guess there were many more mentions made about "apostates" than there were about 2014 being the 100 year mark.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

all of those "expectations" were made public in printed literature and convention talks. It was not just that some brothers privately talked about it among themselves in their congregations, but rather were published and taught to all. So the only responsible for making people stumble for assigning importance to certain dates were the publishers, and NOT the readers.

Yet, they claim it is still The Troof(TM)

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit