Are the JWs a dangerous cult?

by cyberjesus 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The danger is in the gradual, systematic destruction of individual thought, purpose, value and identity. You have 7 million people who have been taught to look to the watchtower for guidance in even the most simple, basic decisions in life.

Agreed - put about as well as can be said. It occurs to me that if a government tried to do this, it would be like a reincarnation of Red China under Chairman Mao. Probably around 80 to 100 million (maybe more) chinese died under Mao.

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Does killing JW`s one at a time,rather than all at once,make them less dangerous?..."

Well said, OUTLAW!!

Zid

[EDITED...]

Hey, DogPatch!! I LOVE that expression, "Primal Drugs"... I've been intrigued by the thought that the first "drug" most kids are exposed to is usually adrenalin [or would that be nor-adrenalin?] - via "Scary Stories"... Also refined sugar, also emotional highs, and so on...

Good expression! CAn I use it?? Promise not to drop it...

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

It has little to do with what their doctrines are, it's the heroin buzz from the experience. Or maybe ther only way out of pain they can see. Either way it's primal drugs.

Randy

• Zapper_1
    Zapper_1

Yes. Of course JWs is a cult!

• designs
    designs

Have you ever sat through and Assembly of God Service or a Calvary Chapel service

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

it can be counter productive in trying to convince a current JW that they are indeed in a "dangerous" cult.

Agreed. Useful for those on the outside who may one day consider joining, though, and helpful for those who are on their way out but aren't able to articulate just what's wrong with the group.

• Rufus
    Rufus
    Just because they interpret the Bible differently (even wrongly) doesn't make them a dangerous cult. n right doesn't make them dangerous or you any better than them when it comes to beliefs.

I neither stated nor implied that they are a dangerous cult simply because they interpret the Bible differently. There are many Christian denominations that interpret the Bible differently yet are still considered part of the body of Christ. As stated previously, it's the area on which they differ that places them outside of the Christian church. I would encourage you to read the post in its entirety, for I explain rather plainly.

It can be argued that anyone who accepts the Bible as the literal word of God is just as delusional as JWs. So calling them wrong and your brand of religion right doesn't make them dangerous or you any better than them when it comes to beliefs.

I suppose anyone can argue anything. It's called sophistry, and it is the primary skill of good lawyers and bad philosophers. If the Bible is the literal word of God, then those who accept it are not delusional but are closest to the truth. I'd be happy to take that position in debate if you'd like. I promise to refrain from sophistry. :)

I agree that simply calling something "wrong" doesn't make it dangerous. There is an objective standard by which to judge, namely God's written word. When measured against that standard, the Watchtower falls far short of the truth. It is, therefore, dangerous in that it teaches a lie--one that can destroy body and soul. More on that in a moment...

What makes a group, religious or otherwise, a dangerous cult is how it manipulates its members to the point of being harmful or deadly to its members.

There are two different aspects of sub-Christian cultism: theological and sociological. I addressed the former; you the latter. The Watchtower is guilty in both areas. It teaches a warped perversion of the Christian faith, and it uses social/psychological manipulation to control its members. I would argue that the theological dimmension is even more dangerous. Manipulation, no matter how abusive, is ultimately temporal. Heresy, in stark contrast, has eternal consequences.

The real problem with debating this is that it's best done with people who have escaped. Trying to reason with a current JW that he's in a "dangerous cult" is only going to drive him deeper into "mother's arms" for protection. Cult members never believe they're in a cult...until they escape. Even then it takes time to admit to themselves.

Yet there are countless testimonies from those who have escaped that contradict you. I've read and heard both Mormons and JWs who eventually left the cult after being exposed to the truth. Often, that truth came from a Christian who spoke lovingly yet firmly with them. While the person didn't immediately withdraw membership after the encounter, a seed was planted. Eventually, the seed of truth grew and overcame the thorns and weeds of the cult. It didn't happen instantly or overnight, though. If that's what you're expecting from a debate, you're in for some disappointment.

Rufus

• designs
    designs

This supposes there is a 'Truth' in Western Christianity. The Cult of the Trinity is stickier than an Oil spill and its ruined far far more lives than a small cult like our former religion could ever do..

...and deems da facts.

• jam
    jam

I have pondered how dangerous are JW,s since I have family members still in. Since I left in 1987 I became A

Freemasons for 10yrs. It felt like A cult but not A dangerous one, and my wife was in A group in the 70,s, A

group that were at odds with the Black Panthers. Her group started the holiday (Kwanza).When I stop being

A active member of the Masons making the transition no problem, but for my wife it was difficult for her to

come out of the group she was in, her life was not any danger for leaving the group, but her mind set. It

was years before she assimilated back in society..Here we have two groups, one extreme , she told me

they look down on the people that was not part of their group..The point I am making, any group you

can not walk away from is A dangerous cult , if it causes harm to your body or your mine it,s dangerous..

• Rufus
    Rufus
    This supposes there is a 'Truth' in Western Christianity. The Cult of the Trinity is stickier than an Oil spill and its ruined far far more lives than a small cult like our former religion could ever do... and deems da facts.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Cult of the Trinity." If you mean the Christian doctrine of the Trinity, then I would say that there are still traces of WatchTower indoctrination in your thinking (e.g., Should You Believe In The Trinity?). I'd be happy to discuss that further if you'd like.

Sincerely,

Rufus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit