DATING A PAGAN: WHY OR WHY NOT?

by White Dove 11 Replies latest social relationships

• White Dove
    White Dove

A couple of people on another thread said that they would not and do not date pagans. Why not?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I have no idea why someone would object, the pagans I know are all pretty nice folks.

I guess some people want to have the same religion as their romantic interests so they won't disagree over it, but half the people in America are married to someone of another faith and for most people, it's not a biggie.

The kids get to have Hanukkah and Christmas, big deal, so what? To most folks. Witnesses are among the few really rabidly dogmatic religions that want all their members to marry in their own faith.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I observe both sets of holidays, Christian and Wiccan. Most Wiccans I know observe Christian holidays with their families, too.

One would think that dating a pagan would be a great idea because of the non-judgmental views pagans tend to hold.

And Wiccans never preach or try to convert, at least they are not supposed to. That is what would turn me off of dating a Christian, but I'd do it at first and give it a chance.

Since the Wiccan Rede and the Golden Rule are one and the same, I don't get what the problem is.

• BackRoomBilly
    BackRoomBilly

When you say pagan, my mind goes to someone decorating a Christmas tree after hiding Easter eggs while eating dinner with wild Indians. .....Wait those are pilgrims.

Seriously though, what separates a pagan from normal productive member of society?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

The pagans had a huge influence on Western Culture. Western culture and even Christianity to some extent is derived in part from Greek philosophy, and they were pagans.

Amazing isn't it? LOL The Christians stole all their good feasts and gods and turned them into saints because the pagans were obviously having a hell of a lot more fun and didn't want to give that up when they converted, usually under duress.

Religion all comes from the same place anyway. Might as well be ecumenical. I never got JW separateness, never made sense to me unless you want to isolate and conquer...oh, right that's why.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I think the best idea would be to date 'Good' people. Period.

Anything beyond that is just prejudice showing through, isn't it?

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Anything beyond that is just prejudice showing through, isn't it?

So you'd date a fundy?

BTS

• R.F.
    R.F.

I must agree AK-Jeff.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

If I was single, I doubt a fundy would date me. LOL I'm way too fond of things that they get upset about, like having a lot of gay friends and hanging out with the Wiccans and learning to cast spells, and investigating the paranormal, Buddhist meditation and chanting with Hopi medicine men.

I'm too flakey for fundies, the few I've met are afraid of me.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That's the problem. Fundies don't view the world in good people and not so good people. They view them as either going to heaven or hell. A fundy wouldn't want to date me because they probably believe that they must not suffer a witch (originally, poisoner or murderer) to live.

I'd date a fundy, but the fundy wouldn't date me or he'd try to change me over to his beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit