What's a really good movie you'd recommend that most people probably haven't seen?

by A.Fenderson 140 Replies latest social entertainment

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I keep thinking about more movies when I was a kid I loved the original mighty joe young I cried when he rescued the kids from the burning orphanage. I also like a movie from 1933 called lady for a day.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Nancy I love the old ones. The '30's produced some of the best movies.

I thought of another today, The Triplets of Belleville.

Did I already mention The Little Fugitive?

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

beksbks,

Jean de Florette!!!

AbsolutelyJean de Florette!!! And its sequels, thought I think Manon of the Spring is the strongest of the three. But you really need them all to get the whole story. And while we're on Gerard Depardieu – The Return of Martin Guerre.

chickpea,Babette's Feast is one of my favorites, too. Get the subtitled version if you can; Babette's French accent on the dubbed version sounds fake, and it's distracting.

Let me add another vote for Pan's Labyrinth, with a warning that it is very intense; there are some brief torture scenes, neither flinched from nor lingered over salaciously. But a great film. Some others not mentioned yet:

• Beijing Bicycle
    • Bubba Ho-Tep
    • Grave of the Fireflies
    • Mr. Stain on Junk Alley – here's the official website, but I found it on Netflix.
    • Ponyo – the latest Miyazaki flick. Oddly enough it didn't play everywhere.
    • Trembling Before G-d – a documentary on the lives and struggles of gay Orthodox Jews.
    • Vitus – here's Roger Ebert's review.
    • 7 Faces of Dr. Lao – the special effects still retain their charm, though they have dated. A morally improving fantasy, starring Tony Randall as a Chinese magician.
    • The Cuckoo: Three people – two soldier-deserters and a Lapp Sami woman – cooperate to survive in the frigid north, though they have no languages in common.
    • Hukkle – what if Jacques Tati had filmed a thriller?

gently feral

• watson
    watson

Jean de Florette and Mannon were a couple of my first really "foreign" films. Tops.

"Raise the Red Lantern," good.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

watson,

Raise the Red Lantern is another favorite. Have you seen Farewell, My Concubine?

gently feral

• watson
    watson

Have not! But will. The synopsis is amazing. Thank you.

• designs
    designs

The Sand Pebbles, 1966

Steve McQueen, Candice Bergen

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The Gods Must Be Crazy I

The Gods Must Be Crazy II

The Russians are Coming

These are 'make you laugh' types of movies... I don't think you will lose too many IQ points watching them... but you may laugh a lot.

Regards,

Jim TX

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I love the russians are coming Murial Everett tied up on top of the frig

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

GentlyFeral, I saw Beijing Bicycle some years ago, that is a good flick. I remember thinking to myself, "all that over a frickin bike!" Thinking back to my youth though, I'd defend my bike to the bitter end too. I can't remember all the specifics to that flick, and I wanted to rent it again, but independent video stores that rent out foreign and independent films are a dying breed around here.

Trainspotting is a favorite of mine. Lost In Translation is another one, although I think it got nominated or won an award or two, but nobody I know has ever sat down and watched it. Broken Flowers is another Bill Murray flick nobody has seen that I've conversed with.

Good thread btw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit