What's a really good movie you'd recommend that most people probably haven't seen?

by A.Fenderson 140 Replies latest social entertainment

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

What's a really good movie you'd recommend that most people probably haven't seen?

My personal recommendation: Synecdoche, New York. It's one of those movies that words fail utterly to capture--which really is the hallmark of a good movie, I suppose. Film, being an audio-visual media, allows for so many interesting and unusual narritive devices that you could never pull off in a book. Anyway, please, if you have the time and the means, watch this movie without first having read any reviews or synopses, and without asking your friends about it--just experience it for what it is. If you want your two hours and rental fee back afterwards, feel free to come back and complain and I'll listen, but that's all I can offer. :-)

And if people start commenting about this movie below, and you haven't seen it--watch it first! No reading ahead. ;-)

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Iranian Kidney Bargain Sale- Documentary about young people in Iran selling there kidneys for cash.

If you get a chance watch it. Great Doc.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

One of my favorite movies is "Big Eden". It's a gay themed romance, so it might not be for you, but it's a adorable, touching and fun movie. I watched it with my kids...they loved it.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Cidade de Deus. It's Brazilian, but if you liked Goodfellas you should like this one and it is a true story. Life Mag. put in the top 10 of best 100 movies of all time.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I loved Synecdoche, NY. It was so breathtaking in so many ways that I haven't been able to watch it a second time yet. I think it's still percolating in my psyche.

If you don't mind reading subtitles, the Mexican film "Like Water for Chocolate" is extraordinary. Sensual, beautiful, and simply profound.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I saw like water for chocolate it was very good.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Motorcycle Diaries.

10/10

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

amor e perros same actor as motocycle diaries. Mexico's version of pulp fiction.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

"Pieces of April"

It's a Thanksgiving story about a wayward daughter of a family of five who now lives in the Big city with an African American man. Her mother who now has cancer has totally given up on her oldest daughter April (Katie Holmes). She doesn't want to drive to the city for April's Thanksgiving dinner and doesn't even think April can pull it off. The Father who is trying to keep the family together while coping with his wife's illness tries to maintain his own stability on the auto trip to April's Thanksgiving dinner. Throw into the mix the other daughter, April's younger sister who hates April and the brother, youngest of the family who has a rare ability to see the moment. He photographs the trip. Then there is the grandmother who has what seems like dementia though at times her awareness is above average. All the while April is in her little one bedroom apartment preparing her first big meal. Her boyfriend is out on his own adventure in the hood.

Best watched at Thanksgiving.

LD

• beksbks
    beksbks

Sigh..........Like Water for Chocolate.

Matewan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit