International Conventions = $$$$. WTBT$ in bed with South Korean government

by Mattieu 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Interested Observer – really good points made on a tax exempt not for profit organisation, actually making profit!

On a side note, remember how we were all encouraged to wear our lapel badges from the time we leave the hotel to when we return in the evening after the convention? Even to wear them when we have our dinner at restaurants? Was it really to give a witness? Or was it to actually remind the hoteliers and restaurant owners in the host city of how much money these convention delegates were bringing into the city?

I attended a conference in Asia recently and we were encouraged to wear our large lapel holders at certain restaurants to gain a 20% discount. Similar principle, the local government needs to prove to the taxpayers, that spending money on rebates and appearance fees actually brings revenue to the local hospitality industry and flow on to the general business community.

Mattieu.......

• Scottiebear7
    Scottiebear7

Wow, thank you for this topic!

I used to watch my wife and step-daughter fret over getting their hotel room for district conventions, special days, etc., and having to hear her tell me what a great deal they were getting because the hotels all knew the JW's would leave the place clean, and how much money they spent in the area. And you're right, the "deal" she got was not better than any other normal price, if not higher.

Having worked in a hotel in Utica, NY (never heard of it? not surprised!) I can tell you we were sold out just about every night between May and October. There is ALWAYS something going on, and it doesn't matter if its a JW convention or what (not that we ever had one). My point is, there's always SOMETHING going on, and the hotel will definitely fill their rooms.

So, as always, its all spoon-fed propaganda from the WBT$ to make their sheep feel like the mouthpiece of God is looking out for them. Excuse me while I go puke.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting thread. Religion is a snare and a RACKET sure enough.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Disturbing. They used JW's to distribute information in the magazines deliberately written to satisfy a secret back-room agreement with the United Nations and now we learn they are using JW's to market tourism articles deliberately inserted in the Awake magazine stemming from secret back-room business deals with governments.

"Go back in the old w/t and awakes and see how many host cities/countries had tourism articles published only to host an international convention in the next 6-12 months."

Can you prepare a list?

• Alfred
    Alfred

Go back in the old w/t and awakes and see how many host cities/countries had tourism articles published only to host an international convention in the next 6-12 months.

I think I'll do that... this should be interesting...

• Roski
    Roski

The South Korean government is not fussy about who they get into with. The tourism industry is next to hopeless so I 'm sure they were happy for a few extra tourists. I remember one international convention trip - all the Bethel folks travelled first class. I remember thinking that they had a 'superior' attitude. Looking back that was the beginning of my long road out.

• cedars
    cedars

I've never been to an international convention, but my Dad has been twice to different locations in Europe, and both times paid handsomely for the "privilege", with the costs of the travel package running into hundreds of pounds more than you would expect to pay if you arranged the trip yourself. I always used to fall over when he told me how much he was paying to attend, but he always used to shrug it off and give the Society the benefit of the doubt. Now I know they WERE ripping him off, and using the money he was paying to give free accommodation to visiting speakers and pay for missionaries to be jetted into the host city. Absolutely appauling. The sad thing is, I doubt my Dad will ever know that the Society picked his pocket.

Cedars

• Listener
    Listener

What an eye opener.

The Sydney article not once mentions the abuse, killing and enslavement of the original Sydney land occupiers, the aboriginies. On the other hand it glorifies several man-made constructions.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Not forgeting the $$$ generated by the fake newspaper articles we used to buy outside the stadiums...

oz

• Mattieu
    Mattieu
    Guilty that I don't post as often as I should. Just wished I had of resurrected this post last year during the round of international convention's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit