JWs observe Saturday as the Sabbath?

by blondie 2 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Jehovah%E2%80%99s+Witnesses+students+allowed+new+timings&artid=WSiASQJav4c=&SectionID=1ZkF/jmWuSA=&MainSectionID=1ZkF/jmWuSA=&SEO=Pareeksha+Bhavan,+John+V+John,+Sabbath,+SSLC+exami&SectionName=X7s7i%7CxOZ5Y =

Are these administrators confused? Or is this a break off group from the WTS/jws?

By Sabloo Thomas
    15 Mar 2010 04:48:00 AM IST

Jehovah’s Witnesses students allowed new timings

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: This year, the General Education Department will conduct SSLC examinations on Saturday nights specifically for the students of the Jehovah’s Witnesses sect.
    It was following a petition filed by the students belonging to this community that the government decided to allow students belonging to this sect to write the examinations after sunset.
    As many as 17 students belonging to Jehovah’s Witnesses families from seven educational districts are writing the examination this year. The students will be allowed to write the examination after 6.30 p.m., that is, after the sun has set, Pareeksha Bhavan secretary John V John told `Express’. The Jehovah’s Witnesses sect observes Saturdays as Sabbath.
    Their beliefs prohibit them to work during daytime on Sabbath day.
    Respecting the beliefs of the sect, the authorities have allowed the students to write the examination on Saturday nights.
    As per the schedule, two papers of the SSLC examinations fall on Saturdays. The Physics paper falls on March 20 and the Biology paper on March 27.
    These students will have to report to the respective schools at the stipulated time of the SSLC examination that is scheduled to begin at 1.30 p.m. They would have to remain in school till their examination ends. They will not be allowed to have contact with any person so as to ensure that the question papers are not leaked. The issues relating to the Jehovah’s Witnesses began in 2008 following the decision of the State Government to conduct the SSLC examinations on Saturdays instead of Fridays.Following this, two students of the Seventh Day Adventist Higher Secondary School, Karickom, Kottarakara, approached the Kerala High Court pleading that they be allowed to sit for the examinations on Saturday nights. The High Court had ruled in favour of Remya Raju and Jincy Mamachen, the students who had filed the petition then.

© Copyright 2008 ExpressBuzz Comments

By sunshine
    3/15/2010 5:01:00 PM

By Darlene
    3/15/2010 3:40:00 PM

By Mauri
    3/15/2010 3:22:00 PM

By Val
    3/15/2010 1:14:00 PM

By Tom Rook
    3/15/2010 10:47:00 AM

By Paul D Troy
    3/15/2010 9:23:00 AM

By Ciera
    3/15/2010 9:22:00 AM

By Paul Grenfell
    3/15/2010 9:12:00 AM

By fine soil
    3/15/2010 9:10:00 AM

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Yeah, I think ti's pretty obvious that they meant Seventh Day Adventists. Look near the bottom of the article, it mentions that the students attend an Adventist school.

Sidetrack: Do you believe modern Seventh Day Adventists to be a cult as well? I mean, I've looked into them a little bit and even though coming from the same origin (Miller movement) they are much more mainstream than JW's; seeing as how they observe holidays, etc. They also give back to the communities, have schools, etc. Then again, Mormons do all of that and they are truly loons when you look into the REAL beliefs.

- Wing Commander

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Why do I suspect this 'journalist' was actually a student athlete who wrecked his knee and had to fall back on his major for a career?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit